Welcome To aBlackWeb

RD1: Goat Song of 91: Summertime vs Verses From The Abstract

RD1: Goat Song of 91: Summertime vs Verses From The Abstract

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fresh Prince made the Best summertime song ever. It literally put a smile on my face when I pressed play on the YouTube video a few minutes ago.

The memories that song brings back.....';;lll

I'm going with Tribe. Verses From The Abstract was unlike anything you"d ever heard. It was one of the earliest songs that fused Jazz and Hip Hop.

Nah, hip hop had Jazz all over it for a few years before Tribe came along.

Nope.

Those songs you posted were samples.

Verses From The Abstract had Ron Carter, a famous Jazz bassist, playing live on the record.

The only song I can think of that had a live Jazz musician playing on the song is Jazz Thing by Gang Starr, which was on the Mo Betta Blues Soundtrack. There were samples, but I think Branford Marsalis played sax on the song.

The main sample was a song called Duji by Kool & The Gang, but there were other samples and I'm not sure what were samples and what was played by Branford Marsalis.

Here's a song by Ron Carter called The Shadow Of Your Smile

I'm going with Tribe
71b3569cd3e543fcda7df5d2d5f49d70.gif

Nope.

Those songs you posted were samples.

Verses From The Abstract had Ron Carter, a famous Jazz bassist, playing live on the record.

The only song I can think of that had a live Jazz musician playing on the song is Jazz Thing by Gang Starr, which was on the Mo Betta Blues Soundtrack. There were samples, but I think Branford Marsalis played sax on the song.

The main sample was a song called Duji by Kool & The Gang, but there were other samples and I'm not sure what were samples and what was played by Branford Marsalis.

Here's a song by Ron Carter called The Shadow Of Your Smile

I know Stetsasonic's "In Full Gear" used a live band during recording as well as samples and a human beatbox. I'm 100% sure if "Blood, Sweat & No Tears" did as well.

I know Stetsasonic's "In Full Gear" used a live band during recording as well as samples and a human beatbox. I'm 100% sure if "Blood, Sweat & No Tears" did as well.

Yeah, all of the early rap songs (e.g.. Rapper's Delight, The Breaks, The Message) had musicians that played the background music. But that doesn't make it Jazz. The thing about Verses From The Abstract is that Ron Carter didn't play the same riff over and over again. He improvised while Q-Tip was rapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back