Welcome To aBlackWeb

PASSING

Not simply Black & White

PRAISE : Im a fan of both of the lead actresses Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga in this film about
1920s New York City, and a black woman finds her world up-ended when her life becomes intertwined with a former childhood friend who's passing as white.
The film has it's moments that sting with the casual outright racism of the era and i thought everyone did well in their roles including André Holland, Bill Camp, Gbenga Akinnagbe, Antoinette Crowe-Legacy, and Alexander Skarsgård. I was stunned by Clare Kendry character wanting to bury who she was even at the cost of losing all self respect,and at the same time longing to be a part of the African American community.
The film is beautifully shot and first time director Rebecca Hall captures the atmosphere of the time.

PROBLEMS : Far to dwelling. I would have preffered a character expressing their feelings and what was actually disturbing them ,instead of them gazing and looking off into space.
I felt the film didnt go as deep as it could have gone and started thinking a documentary would have been far better about the subject matter.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

Agree with Neo that it's a beautifully-shot film. Feel like Tessa Thompson, Ruth Negga and Andre Holland turned in great performances. You can see Irene was the one that caused the fall

Back