Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Overrated or Nah (vol 1): Casablanca

Overrated or Nah?

• Total voters

Goldie

and Baka's got a weird case, why is he around??
Site Owner
Welcome to the new series “Overrated or Nah”, where we take a look at movies that are considered classics and always seem to be ranked near the top on most white publications.

First up:

Casablanca

280px-Humphrey_Bogart_and_Sydney_Greenstreet_in_Casablanca_crop.jpg

Never seen this and i know Goldie never has either

First odyssey now this? Y’all got me lookin like a movie buff.

I’ve seen a handful of Bogart movies. About a year ago or so I watched most of the “classics” from the 40s and 50s.

Casablanca still holds up. It’s a classic for its time but there’s been way too many films that surpasses it in terms of writing, acting and visuals for it to always be ranked top 5.

Just like niggas do with music (ice cube, Scarface, etc) a lot of old movies are being ranked high just cuz, without any valid or logical reasons why.

Scarface is overrated and you damn well know most people only look a the surface sadly.. as evident by the recent events... ill get around to Casablanca eventually

Movie is a bonafide classic and innovated film in terms of characterization and narrative. It moved from the conventional pattern of storytelling and character development. It was also one of the first war movies to actually portray consequential historical events that led up to WW2 so it carried meanings about the political and military situation of WW2 while it was shot. Even the way it ended changed film forever.

If you're not the type to watch movies for good storytelling and deeper meanings then you're going to say it's overrated SMMFH. It's like people who watch Godfather or Scarface and say it's overrated but don't understand the depth of the story and characters as well as the moment in history. Godfather or Scarface isn't just about crime or drug dealing it was a movie about principles and the shifting dynamic of the family structure pertaining to certain cultures and trying to understand or redefine the status quo of success by going in the opposite direction. Godfather was also about redemption. I implore people to watch Casablanca beyond just the movie itself.

Great post. I enjoyed the movie on first watch, but this made me want to rewatch it.

Movie is a bonafide classic and innovated film in terms of characterization and narrative. It moved from the conventional pattern of storytelling and character development. It was also one of the first war movies to actually portray consequential historical events that led up to WW2 so it carried meanings about the political and military situation of WW2 while it was shot. Even the way it ended changed film forever.

If you're not the type to watch movies for good storytelling and deeper meanings then you're going to say it's overrated SMMFH. It's like people who watch Godfather or Scarface and say it's overrated but don't understand the depth of the story and characters as well as the moment in history. Godfather or Scarface isn't just about crime or drug dealing it was a movie about principles and the shifting dynamic of the family structure pertaining to certain cultures and trying to understand or redefine the status quo of success by going in the opposite direction. Godfather was also about redemption. I implore people to watch Casablanca beyond just the movie itself.

Would you say it's one of the top 5 movies ever made?

I respect yall opinion but nah, I aint rollin lol There's way too many influential movies for it to be top 5 or top 10.

Similar to comparing music, there should be multiple categories when coming up with a criteria. Influence is important, but it's not the end all be all.

Now I wanna see this. I’ve personally only seen a few what would be deemed classics. Only just recently seen gone with the wind and was bored to tears by that piece of shit. I’ve seen Psycho and Godfather both classics although I hold Godfather 2 in higher regard. What other recommendations do you have?

Now I wanna see this. I’ve personally only seen a few what would be deemed classics. Only just recently seen gone with the wind and was bored to tears by that piece of shit. I’ve seen Psycho and Godfather both classics although I hold Godfather 2 in higher regard. What other recommendations do you have?

I'll drop a list when i get back to my computer.

Back