Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION - ABW Parents: Does public shaming a child work as an effective punishment?

Talking, taking away privileges, and beatings are sometimes not enough to get through to a misbehaving child.

Sometimes public shaming a child is a route taken when parents have exhausted all other avenues.

In this world of social media, you or someone else can take a picture or record a video of your child's public shaming where it has the possibility of living on the Internet forever.

A result like this can serve as a powerful reminder to that said child of what could happen if he or she gets out-of-line again.

However, one has to ask if this type of punishment is effective or harmful to a child's mental well-being?

Are you opening your child up to being teased and beat up by his or her peers which could result in more behavioral issues?

Here is an example of such course of action...

Last edited:
that shit fucking sucks bruh, and screams to the immaturity of the parents,

not to mention a child's bad behavior is a reflection of something the parents did or did not do, so all you're really broadcasting is your own ignorance.....

cuz you got judgemental motherfuckers like myself looking at both yall trifling asses like

:smh:

I wouldn't do no punishment like that, that's doing too much. That's how kids grow up resenting their parents and I wouldn't want my kid being ridiculed at school or in the streets. I assume now the kid gonna get into fights and suspended further getting himself in trouble so how would that help

I'm against physically beating my kids, so my form of discipline is automatically different than many others, publicly "shaming" is a method I plan to use if necessary, ofc I don't plan to do it excessively.

If my kid has bad grades , they're going to have bad grade clothes/toys and vice versa.

Kids are gonna tease and have jokes regardless, so preparing your kid for that type of stuff should already be taking place. He/she will know how to take a joke and joke back at an early age.

Lol, this type of action will end of one of two ways:

1. The kid's self esteem is gonna be impeccable, no amount of roasting will damage his confidence, clapbacks gonna be on point

2. This could be the worst thing to ever happen to the kid, getting roasted constantly probably gonna be a detriment to his grades. A vicious cycle will result.

This is some sink or swim, naming your son sue, type shit. Could work very well or has devastating results.

Na...I ain't doing nothing like that. Reason being is it puts merit on how other people feel about you. I'm trying to raise thinkers aND not followers. I get the reason behind it, but there's other ways to go about it IMO.

Most people go this route because they been beating the hell outta there kids so long and it aint working...

I ain't opposed to whooping kids. I have before, but my son is getting the age where he knows better. So im trying to teach him to think. The only time I'll get physical is outright disrespect to his mother or I or other adults whose care we leave him in.

At this point, any other issues we have he is just gonna work out until I get tired of watching him do it. Since I've been doing that, we haven't many issues.

Na...I ain't doing nothing like that. Reason being is it puts merit on how other people feel about you. I'm trying to raise thinkers aND not followers. I get the reason behind it, but there's other ways to go about it IMO.

Most people go this route because they been beating the hell outta there kids so long and it aint working...

I ain't opposed to whooping kids. I have before, but my son is getting the age where he knows better. So im trying to teach him to think. The only time I'll get physical is outright disrespect to his mother or I or other adults whose care we leave him in.

At this point, any other issues we have he is just gonna work out until I get tired of watching him do it. Since I've been doing that, we haven't many issues.
word, my son only 5, but he responds to both verbal discipline and asswhoopings.....

he still hard headed as hell, but i ain't trying to break him mentally.....i just want him to understand the consequences for his actions....

public shaming isn't a consequence, that's highlighting the maliciousness of the parent in my opinion.....they still operating on that

"my child is my friend" mentality that got them caught up in the first place......

i hate to see the long term effects of this public shaming generation.....

we done already seen the wackness of these kida who ain't never get no whoopings....

they have no respect for physical consequences.....i can always tell those kids who enver got their asswhooped, cuz they reckless as shit with the words.....

Lol how can u say you're here to raise thinkers but be pro physically abusing/disciplining kids?

At the end of the day, we all have different approaches, it's about what works for you.

physical discipline is absolutely necessary in my world.

"an asswhooping" is almost always on the table as a possible outcome in many bad decisions.....and this isn't limited to childhood....

as an adult i am very well aware that there are physical consequences for my actions..i would not in the least be surprised if someone was provoked to physically strike me because of disrespectful words....so if i make the decision to disrespect someone, or any other violation that i feel leads to a physical confrontation....i am prepared for what comes along with it....

i be tryna tell yall.....

it's 2017....which means 1996 makes you 21....

there's a lottttttaaa 90-96 babies that never got an asswhooping.....that shit ain't cool bruh.....cuz they living dangerously....this baltimore city....you can't just say what you want to say and think people ain't gonna put hands on yout......

that's why i thank my momma for knocking the shit outta me early in the game for running off at the mouth......

i had a dude tell me suck his dick once, and was completely shocked i dragged him out the door by his ankles

I don't physically discipline the girls (the wife does that) but my son I get him. Most of the time we don't have to give out asswhoopings because what hurts them more than anything is taking tv's, phones and laptops away from them, being unable to go outside and hang with your friends get them back on track

physical discipline is absolutely necessary in my world.

"an asswhooping" is almost always on the table as a possible outcome in many bad decisions.....and this isn't limited to childhood....

as an adult i am very well aware that there are physical consequences for my actions..i would not in the least be surprised if someone was provoked to physically strike me because of disrespectful words....so if i make the decision to disrespect someone, or any other violation that i feel leads to a physical confrontation....i am prepared for what comes along with it....

i be tryna tell yall.....

it's 2017....which means 1996 makes you 21....

there's a lottttttaaa 90-96 babies that never got an asswhooping.....that shit ain't cool bruh.....cuz they living dangerously....this baltimore city....you can't just say what you want to say and think people ain't gonna put hands on yout......

i had a dude tell me suck his dick once, and was completely shocked i dragged him out the door by his ankles

Modified some of your post. I agree with what is leftover.

You and I think a lot alike when it comes to handing out fades.

Used to think whether I was too barbaric or archaic in my thinking, but it is wonderful to meet someone who has the same views as me on this topic.

I love you man...

You got a lot of middle-class people who just don't understand that you cannot just run off at the mouth without consequence.

Would say it is just the white people, but it is middle-class people in general who have this problem.

Lol how can u say you're here to raise thinkers but be pro physically abusing/disciplining kids?

At the end of the day, we all have different approaches, it's about what works for you.

Some errors gonna cause hands to get put on you.....certain things you can do cause immediate responses that might hurt. There definitely is a lesson in catching a** whooping when used correctly.

Physically abusing children will never be a necessary form of discipline in my world, that gives a false sense of reality to children to believe that's how situations are handled. I prefer to teach my kids lessons psychologically than physically, but that's me. Not saying which ways right or wrong, just saying what's right in my world.

I must admit that beating your child's ass doesn't work.

As a child, I was out there fighting other people and getting my ass beat at home, so my pain tolerance just increased after each encounter.

I somewhat agree with Judah.

You have to find some way to make your child want to get on the right track.

You have to find out your child's talent and discover some way to harness that to keep him or her on the right track.

I didn't start behaving until the second-half of 9th grade when I discovered how smart I was when I actually tried.

Went from making C's and D's in 9th grade to making A's and B's in 10th grade and that point forward.

Graduated college with a 3.98 GPA.

Last edited:
any discipline is better than beatings, tho arguably excessive public shaming can be srsly damaging too.

think about it. if u did it 2 an adult, wld it count as abuse or assault? cld u be arrested? if so, y tf u doin it to a child?

discipline is a very very slippery slope.....

most people think of the absolute worse when it comes to asswhoopings....

i don't know what yall see in yall imagination when the word ass whoooings is typed, but it's not abuse...and it's not the end all be all of discipline...

it's not like you roll up, shout at your child, whoop his ass, and then leave them there crying with no words

you talk to, educate, and explain to your child what is going on. you give them limits, and let them know what consequences are on the table and what is not tolerable.

defiance will be met immediately with physical discipline. disrespect will be met with immediate discipline.

ain't like imma whoop a 5 year old cuz he got an answer wrong on his homework....

but if you got your pants down standing up and pissing on your bed (not my kid, but an example of some shit that a talking to won't cover)

you getting that asshooped......

if you yelling and screaming at your parents, when they not even screaming at you? that's that ass....

i think the last asswhooping my son got was when i sent him to go clean his room, and instead of going there he was knocking shit off the shelves, and throwing toys in the hallway in protest.....

yea he caught that whooping, and he still cleaned the room, and he didn't get tv or toys till the weekend

There's been manyyyy stories of kids resenting their parents to the point they don't even claim the family name because they felt their parent's didn't love them enough to actually teach them lessons but rather tried to beat it out of them. Physically abusing kids will never fuckin work imo.

They might end up doing what u wanted, but end up fucked up in the head like MJ.

Back