Welcome To aBlackWeb

Only a few bad apples huh?...Bad Cops Thread

proxy.png

scust

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...cle_044bdd44-4c08-11e8-b56e-8ffaadb978ce.html

Salamoni, Baton Rouge officer who shot Alton Sterling, cited for allegedly striking suspect in 2016

Baton Rouge police have issued a summons for simple battery to Blane Salamoni — the officer fired last month for his role in the fatal shooting of Alton Sterling — accusing him of slapping a suspect during a 2016 arrest captured on body camera video.

Salamoni received the misdemeanor summons Friday afternoon, according to one of his attorneys, who said the police proceeded with the citation even though the alleged victim said he did not wish to pursue charges.

The attorney, Brant M. Mayer, questioned the timing of the case, which he said appeared to be aimed at influencing Salamoni's termination appeal. That appeal remains pending before the Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service Board.

"I think everybody is going to see this for what it is," Mayer said Sunday. "Our client files his appeal, and then this charge just miraculously appears. They've had this footage for almost two years"

Details of the June 2016 arrest were not immediately available Sunday night, and a Baton Rouge Police Department spokesman did not respond to a request for comment. Police Chief Murphy Paul declined to discuss the details of the summons, saying he would release more information to the public early Monday.

It's not clear whether the Police Department intends to release footage of the arrest, which happened just weeks before Sterling was fatally shot in front of the Triple S Food Mart in Baton Rouge.

"There was a simple battery," Paul said. "Our officers believed there was probable cause, they charged accordingly."

Salamoni is apparently accused of slapping the suspect in the back of his head, said Mayer, who added he has not seen the body camera footage. The alleged victim "still had a firearm on his person and was running his mouth" when the slapping occurred, Mayer said.

"We believe that he just gave him a pop on the head and told him to calm down and hush," he said, adding Salamoni did not recall specifics of the arrest. "It was about as bland as you can imagine."

A law enforcement official said the footage of the arrest was first flagged by federal authorities while they were conducting a civil-rights investigation into the death of Sterling, a fatal shooting that ignited national protests. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the pending case.

As part of their civil-rights inquiry, the official said the feds reviewed Salamoni's past interactions with criminal suspects recorded on body camera, attempting to determine whether there were any patterns of misconduct.

The U.S. Justice Department ultimately decided not to pursue charges against Salamoni or Howie Lake II, the other Baton Rouge officer involved in Sterling's death in July 2016. Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry announced last month that neither officer would face state charges in Sterling's death.

But body-camera footage of Sterling's death sparked widespread criticism of Salamoni, and Paul cited those videos in his decision last month to terminate Salamoni for violating the department's policies on use of force and command of temper.

The police chief has said Salamoni unnecessarily escalated the confrontation by immediately pointing a gun at the Sterling's head and yelling obscenities during the attempted arrest.

Lake was suspended three days for failing to control his command of temper and also is appealing that discipline.

East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III recused himself from the Sterling case, citing a long professional relationship with Salamoni's parents.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...cle_f8993a4a-4cc6-11e8-988f-6721e69df290.html

Blane Salamoni's conduct probed in 4 incidents; ex-officer given summons for simple battery

The Baton Rouge Police Department on Monday revealed that the agency recently investigated the conduct of Blane Salamoni during four incidents in June 2016 — the month before Salamoni shot and killed Alton Sterling — and issued the former officer a summons for simple battery on Friday after finding enough evidence to support the charge.

Baton Rouge Police Chief Murphy Paul announced last month his decision to fire Salamoni for violating department policy during the July 2016 shooting death of Sterling.

Salamoni's attorney said Sunday the department had issued Salamoni a summons on Friday for his conduct in a June 2016 incident.

On Monday, the Baton Rouge Police Department released a statement indicating the summons was issued after a separate administrative review of four June 2016 incidents, completely independent of their investigation into the shooting of Sterling.

In three of the incidents reviewed, the department found Salamoni used "profanity and demonstrated unprofessional behavior," according to the statement. In the fourth incident from June 10, 2016, the department found evidence to initiate a criminal investigation into Salamoni's conduct after finding he slapped a suspect "in the head while he was laying on the ground with his hands cuffed behind his back."

The department also released video of the June 10, 2016 incident from Salamoni's body cameras showing show the pursuit of the suspect, Deandre Brooks, and his interaction with police — including the slap and his later arrest.

Baton Rouge Police officials became aware of Salamoni's body camera footage from those four incidents in a March meeting with the U.S. Attorney's Office, during which federal investigators shared their knowledge of the videos, according to the BRPD statement. The U.S. Attorney's Office first reviewed the footage months ago during its investigation into alleged federal civil rights violations by Salamoni and officer Howie Lake II, the other officer involved in the shooting of Sterling. The Department of Justice declined to pursue those charges in May 2017.

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry also announced last month that neither officer would face state charges in Sterling's death.

The BRPD statement Monday says officers were responding to a domestic incident on June 10, 2016. After officers arrived on scene, Salamoni and another officer chased Brooks and soon apprehended him. The video shows a brief struggle between Salamoni and Brooks in which Salamoni handcuffs Brooks after advising the man to "Lay on your f****** stomach now; give me your f****** hands." Salamoni continues to use profanity during the remainder of the interaction.

"You sure he's good?" Salamoni asks another officer during the incident. Brooks answers from the ground, "Yes, sir" and Salamoni replies, "I ain't talking to you … shut up" while slapping him on the back of the head.

That slap occurs around the 3:20 mark in the body camera footage recorded.

Police said their internal investigation revealed that in Salamoni's report of the incident, the officer admitted he "forcefully pulled Mr. Brooks to the ground and delivered multiple straight closed fist punches to Mr. Brooks head until the other two officers were able to remove the weapon from his rear pocket." According to Salamoni's report, neither of the other officers involved struck Brooks while he was handcuffed.

The videos that were released do not show the punches as described in the BRPD statement and in Salamoni's report.

Brooks pleaded guilty to reduced charges in April 2017 and was sentenced to one year in jail with credit for time served.

Salamoni's attorney said Sunday the police proceeded with issuing the summons even though Brooks had said he did not wish to pursue charges.

On March 29, BRPD officials had called Salamoni in for an internal affairs hearing about the four June 2016 incidents. At the meeting, Salamoni refused to give a statement or to cooperate with the investigation, according to police.

Salamoni's attorney Brant M. Mayer did not respond to requests for comment after reviewing the video footage. But he spoke about the summons on Sunday and questioned the timing of the case, which he said appears to be aimed at influencing Salamoni's termination appeal. That appeal remains pending before the Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service Board.

In addition to the June 10 footage that resulted in the summons, BRPD internal investigators looked at Salamoni's body camera videos from three other incidents around that time, including one on June 2, 2016, when he responded to a disturbance in the 1400 block of North 42nd Street and "used profanity and demonstrated unprofessional behavior."

They reviewed Salamoni's footage from an incident on June 3, 2016, when he responded to a call about a person held against their will at a motel on Florida Boulevard. As soon as Salamoni made contact with the suspect, he "used profanity and grabbed the subject around his neck and pressed his head against the wall," according to BRPD officials.

Investigators also reviewed footage from a call on June 4, 2016 about a man hanging out in the parking lot of a store on Gus Young Avenue. "Upon Officer Salamoni's arrival, he immediately exited his police cruiser and used profanity while speaking to suspects," the statement says.

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-new...e-wants-officers-fired-mpd-officers-retrained

Family of Demetrious Lowe wants officers fired, MPD officers retrained

MILWAUKEE -- The family of a man beaten and tased by Milwaukee Police said they want to see immediate changes within the department.

Demetrious Lowe, 25, is currently in the hospital, after a violent encounter with officers near 51st and Capitol Dr.

"He has had reconstructive surgery on his face," said his aunt Frana Lowe. "He has multiple contusions on his face. He has broken ribs. He has a shoulder that has to be surgically repaired."

His family joined others Friday night at 51st and Capitol Dr., where the incident happened, to protest police brutality and demand officers be retrained with people in a mental health crisis.

Milwaukee Police were called out Wednesday evening after Lowe's girlfriend dialed 911, saying he was being violent, and had possibly been drugged.

"Get on the ground now," shouted an unidentified officer.

Instead, Lowe punched one of the officers and ran off. They chased. He later punched another officer. At one point in the video, Lowe started to yell his own name.

"I am Demetrius," shouts Lowe repeatedly.

His family said he was suffering from mental health issues.

"He wasn't in his right mind. Clearly, you can see that from the video," said his cousin Shanikqua Stokes.

Witness cell phone video captured the rest of the altercation which included several officers on top of Lowe punching, kicking and tasing him.

"They took it upon themselves to beat him after he was already down," said Frana Lowe.

"We're upset, we're tired, we're frustrated and we want all those cops fired," said Stokes.

The family said they plan to file a lawsuit against the Milwaukee Police Department.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/201805...uses-columbus-police-of-racism-discrimination

Officer’s lawsuit accuses Columbus Police of racism, discrimination

A black Columbus police officer says he was harassed by fellow officers, denied job assignments because of his race and retaliated against for participating in an investigation of threats made by a white officer, according to a lawsuit filed against the Columbus Division of Police.

The lawsuit, filed April 17 in Franklin County Common Pleas Court, accuses Sgt. Eric Moore, a white narcotics sergeant, of calling two officers the n-word and making a statement about killing them in 2014. When other officers were interviewed about Moore’s attitude toward blacks, they told investigators he would refer to black people as apes and monkeys, according to an internal police investigation.

Through a police spokesman, Moore declined to comment.

The lawsuit accuses the division of a “pattern, practice and policy of discriminatory treatment of minority officers” under the leadership of Police Chief Kim Jacobs. The lawsuit says that Jacobs doesn’t hold accountable officers who exhibit racist or discriminatory behavior.

“It’s like she’s using a megaphone: ‘You don’t have to worry about me coming down hard,’” said attorney Frederick Gittes, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of 53-year-old Officer Karl Shaw.

Jacobs said the burden is high to prove whether a racist, sexist or homophobic mindset affects policing.

“If I could prove a racist, sexist, homophobic mindset impacted an officer’s behavior, that’s something I can act on,” she said. “But it has to be actions, not thoughts. And of course, if we have evidence of racial (or other) profiling, that is very serious. But again, each case has its own set of circumstances and what we can prove and what we may think may be two different things.”

Investigators determined that Moore used racially derogatory language, and he was given a written reprimand in 2015. They did not sustain the accusation that Moore threatened the officers because an investigator noted that more corroboration was needed, according to an internal report.

Jacobs said she follows disciplinary policies dictated by the contract between the Fraternal Order of Police and the city.

“I believe that a written reprimand was called for based on the place and setting it was used in because I believe I could support that level contractually,” Jacobs said in an emailed response to Dispatch questions. “But to jump past a written (reprimand) and go for a suspension, leave-time forfeiture or termination, I have a heavier burden to prove because that involves the officer’s property interests.”

The Ohio Civil Rights Commission found that the division was “engaging in unlawful discriminatory practices” in 2016 in Shaw’s case. The city disputed the finding and an administrative lawsuit was filed. That was dropped. The civil lawsuit filed last month seeks more than $25,000 in damages.

Officers facing discipline can be issued documented constructive counseling or given a written reprimand, suspension, demotion or termination.

Jacobs said she likely would require documented constructive counseling for rude or discourteous behavior. She said that racist, homophobic or sexist remarks move to the next level — a written reprimand.

Even that can be contested, though. Such cases can be challenged, end up in arbitration and sometimes overturned, which can undermine her ability to discipline officers. That’s the system to which city leaders agreed in the contract with the police union.

Jason Pappas, president of Fraternal Order of Police Capital City Lodge No. #9, which represents Columbus police officers, said Jacobs has the ability to issue harsher penalties for racist remarks. But that requires notifying everyone in the division that there will be new consequences.

“Even though we have precedence, that precedence can be broken if certain steps are followed and it’s appropriate. ... You can draw a line and say, ‘From this day forward, it’s going to be this,’” he said.

Jacobs said it’s not that simple. There have been cases in which officers were notified across the division about increased penalties and an arbitrator gave an officer less discipline than the precedent in at least one case. She said circumstances matter in deciding on discipline.

In Moore’s case, the comments he made were about two black Strategic Response Bureau officers, detective Eric Cornett and Sgt. Doug Williams, according to the lawsuit.

Since the incident, Cornett, who was a Columbus officer for 23 years, told The Dispatch he quit his job and left the state because the harassment from Moore and others worsened. Cornett said he worried about whether Moore would follow through on the threat.

“I think it’s no big deal to administrators, he said. “They go home and they don’t have to worry about it.” Cornett said he also is in the process of filing a lawsuit against the city.

Moore was never removed from his assignment during the investigation and initially was in charge of filling two narcotics positions. Shaw and another black officer were asked to interview for the job while white candidates were not interviewed, according to the lawsuit.

Shaw said another officer received a text that warned that Shaw had “better not” take the narcotics job, according to the lawsuit. Shaw withdrew from consideration for the narcotics job.

“Anything can happen. I didn’t feel like putting myself in a situation — basically in harm’s way. I could have been set up,” Shaw said. “I had a talk with one of the lieutenants. He basically told me he could try to protect me but he wouldn’t be around all the time. I told him I had to pass.”

Shaw now works as a resource officer at East High School. Despite his experience, he said he encourages teens to go through the police academy and become officers. He said he still loves policing.

Moore was fired in 2016 over allegations of overtime fraud. Nearly a year ago, an arbitrator gave him his job back. When Moore returned to the division, he was returned to his narcotics sergeant position after an arbitrator ruled that he should.

Gittes has represented black officers in cases regarding their treatment in the police division for decades. After a five-week trial in 1984 in which Gittes was the attorney, a U.S. district judge ruled that the Columbus Police Division had discriminated against 16 black officers he represented. As a result of the trial, a judge ordered the city to hire an independent equal opportunity officer and increase diversity within the division. The orders later were lifted.

The police division’s history of leniency for officers who exhibit racist behavior sends a strong message that reverberates throughout the ranks of officers and into the community, Gittes said.

“If they’re going to discriminate against their fellow officers, imagine how free they must feel to discriminate against citizens,” he said.

As of March, the division had 184 black officers, about 10 percent. U.S. census data show that about 28 percent of Columbus residents are black. About 13 percent of the 1,869 officers are minorities. The highest rank curr
ently held by a black person in the division is lieutenant.

Columbus Mayor Andrew J. Ginther called on police, as well as the Fire Division, to double the diversity within their ranks during the next 10 years. A recently formed police advisory commission is examining topics such as diversity and best practices for policing.

Jacobs said she believes the division has made progress over the years.

“I can still recall the sexist comments, sexist behaviors and sexual harassment I heard and dealt with from the 1980s, but I believe we have a much better working environment now,” she said. “When you are the victim of such behavior, you have long memories of that, but I can see the progress we have made. That doesn’t mean we are perfect and that no problem exists, but I must rely on my personnel and my supervisors to report such incidents and to investigate them.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article210452974.html

'Disgusting and cowardly.' Miami leaders react to cop kicking at handcuffed man's head

After a Miami police officer took a kick at an accused car thief's head while he was handcuffed on the ground, Commissioner Keon Hardemon emerged as the strongest voice in the chorus of outcry when he challenged the state to follow through on charging the officer with a crime in a series of taunting tweets Friday morning.

Hardemon, a former public defender and the son of a cop, fired off a host of tweets referencing Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, saying it was unlikely her office would file charges against Miami police officer Mario Figueroa.

The Hispanic officer was suspended with pay a few hours after he kicked at the head of David Suazo, a black man, as he lay face down with his hands clasped behind his back while another officer handcuffed him. The confrontation Thursday morning was caught on cellphone video and posted online.

The video incited new controversy for a department that has a history of poor relations with communities of color, a track record that led to a federal civil rights investigation and settlement. The police department is still under federal monitoring because of that history.

Hardemon, who represents the district where Suazo was arrested, expressed no faith that Figueroa would be charged.

"I predict the [State Attorney's Office] will close its investigation citing that no crime was committed because officer missed when he kicked at arrestee," Hardemon said in one of the tweets. In a separate tweet Friday morning, Hardemon called Figueroa's act "disgusting and cowardly," and also criticized two other officers in the video who do not react to Figueroa's actions and did not report the kick in the arrest form.

"I'm more disappointed in the non-assaulting cops who let their brother commit a crime without any noticeable objection," Hardemon wrote. "All culpable."

The State Attorney's Office responded only by reiterating that it is actively investigating the matter.

"We've initiated an investigation, and we're actively pursuing it," said spokesman Ed Griffith.

Mayor Francis Suarez told the Miami Herald he was "shocked and appalled" by what he saw in the video. He questioned whether officers who are filmed committing such acts should still collect a paycheck while on suspension.

"I think we need to look at the issue of suspension with pay," he said. "Especially because now we often have video evidence of these kinds of incidents."

He doubled down Friday afternoon, releasing a statement saying he wants to empower the police chief with the ability to immediately fire an officer in situations "where we have indisputable evidence" of misconduct "such as the video in this case." Under the city's current power structure, only City Manager Emilio Gonzalez has the power to authorize the police chief to fire an officer, who would likely challenge the termination under current union rules negotiated in the police labor agreement.

The incident came to light after Lisa Harrell, who lives in the Culmer Apartments in Overtown where the arrest took place, posted the video footage on her Facebook page on Thursday and sent a copy to the city of Miami. The 51-second video shows Suazo flat on his belly, his hands clasped behind his back as Figueroa runs into the frame kicking with such force that he nearly tumbled over.

Police say the encounter started when they spotted Suazo, 31, driving a stolen Jeep Cherokee, and he failed to obey a command to pull over. His arrest affidavit says Suazo sped up and drove into the Culmer apartment complex, hopped a sidewalk and crashed into a wall. Police gave chase and, after a failed Taser attempt, eventually subdued him. Harrell's video captures the moment an officer is cuffing Suazo while he's lying face down on the ground. He was charged with numerous offenses, including grand theft and fleeing an officer.

The video sparked immediate outrage and prompted Miami Police Chief Jorge Colina to suspend Figueroa and ask Fernandez Rundle to launch an investigation into a possible crime committed by the officer.

Though Suazo's head snaps to the left as Figueroa kicks, it's not entirely clear on the video whether the officer's foot connected with the suspect's head. That didn't matter to Colina, who immediately suspended Figueroa, who's been on the force for two years. But it could make a difference in what charges, if any, are pressed against the officer.

A law enforcement source familiar with the incident said close inspection of the footage seems to show Figueroa's kick missing Suazo's head.

Criminal defense attorney Brian Tannebaum, who is not representing anyone in this case, said that if prosecutors determine Figueroa missed, they could charge him with assault. If the officer connected, the charge would likely be battery. If Suazo shows he was injured, the charge could be upped to aggravated battery, Tannebaum said.

As for Figueroa's defense, "If I'm his lawyer, I'm arguing no harm, no foul," Tannebaum said. Still, Tannebaum said, the video is fairly clear: "The guy's down on the ground. Why is he trying to kick him in the first place?"

Figueroa's attorney Eugene Gibbons said on Friday that he didn't want to speak directly to Figueroa's interaction with Suazo because the incident is still under investigation.

"We've got to wait for the investigation to flush out all the facts. Everybody should just take a pause and make sure they get all the facts before reaching conclusions," Gibbons said.

On Thursday night, hours after the video and news coverage circulated online, Suazo's family showed up at a meeting of a community board created a few years ago as part of an agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice after a series of questionable shootings by Miami police officers.

Suazo's sisters told the board that they didn't even know where Suazo was taken after his arrest, Miami Herald news partner WLRN reported. Suazo's sister, Maritza Valerio, expressed her frustration to the board.

"If he committed a crime, let him face whatever penalties for that, but he was already on the ground in handcuffs,” she said.

At the meeting, Miami Police Major Cherise Gaus apologized to Valerio and her sister, Orelia Suazo.

“Just on behalf of the police department, we are truly sorry about what took place today," he said. "I assure you after this meeting we will find out the whereabouts of your relative and give you an update at that time.”

Orelia Suazo told WLRN she accepted the apology, but she was still hurt because cops at the scene of the arrest denied they had hurt her brother.

“My hurt is that the sergeant lied to our faces. He was like, ‘Oh we didn't beat up your brother.' "

Use of force

Hardemon, in his string of tweets, focused on whether the officer's kick connected.

"The courts will opine that there was no excessive use of force because the officer missed and hence no force exerted on arrestee," wrote the commissioner.

Video evidence from the body camera Figueroa was wearing may not even exist. Gibbons, the officer's lawyer, said he believes his client's body camera fell to the ground during the chase and apprehension of Suazo. That was confirmed by a police source who said Figueroa's body camera does not show him running toward and kicking at the suspect. The department had not determined whether it fell off the officer as he chased Suazo.

The incident could be another setback to a department with a checkered past when it comes to civil rights issues. As recently as 2011, the Department of Justice launched an investigation into officers using excessive force and took a look at 33 police-involved shootings over the years. At one point, Miami officers fatally shot seven black men in eight months.

Years after that spate of shootings roiled racial tensions, the city reached a settlement with the Justice Department in 2016 that required Miami's police department to operate under the supervision of a federally appointed monitor for four years.

Monitor Jane Castor, the former chief of police in Tampa who is now running for mayor there, did not respond to requests for comment.

The community board where Suazo's sisters spoke Thursday night was created as part of the federal agreement to ensure that the city is complying with the deal. The agreement also requires police officers to receive de-escalation training designed to help cops control unruly suspects without using force. An academic presentation on de-escalation was coincidentally on Thursday night's agenda.

Justin Pinn, chairman of the advisory board, said he appreciated Colina's swift suspension of Figueroa. He believes the department has made strides since the settlement, but more needs to be done to ensure that people, particularly people of color, are treated with dignity and respect even when they're being arrested.

There are still trust issues between the black community and police, he said, that won't be fully resolved if incidents like this occur and there aren't consequences for police wrongdoing.

"We have to focus on how we can change the culture of policing to make sure we're not building up this warrior mentality," he said.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-police-union-says-head-kicking-cop-showed-restraint-10332957

Miami Police Union Says Head-Kicking Cop "Used Great Restraint," Shouldn't Be Charged

Hours after Miami Police Officer Mario Figueroa was charged with misdemeanor assault today after film surfaced of the cop trying to kick a handcuffed man in the head, the city's police union released a doozy of a statement defending Figueroa and insisting he hadn't broken the law or department policy.

According to the police union, Figueroa's attempted face-punting was, in fact, a "de-escalation technique" that proved Figueroa "showed great restraint." You read that right.

"While some have characterized this as police brutality, it couldn’t be farther from the truth," newly minted union president Edward Lugo, who once nearly lost his job after getting caught in a 2009 FBI sting, wrote in a multiparagraph letter this afternoon. "The only thing brutal about this entire incident is the suspect that endangered the lives of the community in which our Miami Police officers risked their lives to take this dangerous man off the streets. From the onset, the media stated that Officer Figueroa had kicked the suspect on the head."

The Miami Herald and multiple politicians warned earlier this week that Figueroa's defense would likely be that he missed David Suazo's face. In fact, even attempting to kick a suspect is both against policy and a crime. If the kick had landed, Figueroa could have been charged with battery instead of assault. State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle reviewed arrest audio in which Figueroa taunted the suspected car thief after the cop missed walloping Suazos' head.

In a statement from the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 20 so divorced from reality it can only be described as performance art, Lugo wrote that the assault was something Figueroa was trained to do to de-escalate the situation. According to the union, the viral clip is what good policing looks like.

"Miami Police officers are trained to use defensive tactics as well as de-escalate the amount of force necessary to get a suspect to comply," he said, ignoring the fact that Suazo had already complied and was handcuffed on the ground before Figueroa tried to launch the suspect's head like a soccer ball. "Officer Figueroa was involved in a high-speed car chase with a suspected robber that then turned into an all-out foot chase through a residential neighborhood. Officer Figueroa used great restraint and de-escalated his use of force once he approached the suspect."

Miami's two police unions — the FOP, which represents city cops, and the Dade County Police Benevolent Association (PBA), which represents county cops and some other departments — have a history of making offensive statements to defend their officers. When North Miami Police Officer Jonathan Aledda shot the unarmed Charles Kinsey, who was trying to help a man with autism, former PBA President John Rivera excused the shooting by claiming Aledda was aiming for the autistic man (who was also unarmed). Rivera also referred to Aledda as a "hero" despite the fact that he nearly killed a citizen who had done absolutely nothing wrong. (Aledda was later charged with multiple felonies.)

Lugo, meanwhile, was installed as FOP head in October as a thank-you for being a body man for Javier Ortiz, the longtime leader of Miami's police union who voluntarily demoted himself to vice president of the union when he was promoted to captain on the force. (Ortiz, a man famous for doxxing and harassing police critics, posting offensive missives about black people and Muslims, and racking up use-of-force complaints, has referred to Lugo as his "best friend.")

Lugo's appointment went largely unreported in the rest of the local media, which is a shame considering he has a remarkably shady past as a cop. According to documents and audio recordings first published by local blogger Al Crespo, Miami PD's internal affairs unit made the extraordinary recommendation that Lugo be fired in 2009 after undercover FBI agents wearing recording devices pitched him on a plan to traffic stolen goods through Miami. Lugo allegedly looked the other way and didn't alert the department that cops were ostensibly trying to ship stolen goods on the side. He kept his job only after Ortiz used his power as then-FOP head to intervene on his pal's behalf. Lugo also has a long record of use-of-force complaints.

So read Lugo's baffling and hilarious statement within that context. Despite the fact that everything in this case was caught on video, Lugo wrote today that the FOP simply feels differently about the clip than MPD Chief Jorge Colina, who called the incident a "clear violation of policy."

"There is clearly a difference in opinion between the FOP and the Miami Police Department in regards to a violation of policy in this incident," Lugo wrote. "There is absolutely no violation of departmental policy. Our use of force guidelines state that a report of force must be performed if a Miami Police Officer strikes, kicks, punches or utilizes their intermediate weapons. Or, if there is a complaint and sign of injury. As viewed on the suspect’s mugshot, there isn’t a scratch on him. Since Officer Figueroa never kicked the suspect and simply gestured to make him comply, no use of force report is warranted."

The union released Suazo's mug shot, which shows no obvious cuts or bruises on his face.

Lugo then added, "The Fraternal Order of Police has all the confidence in the criminal justice system as well as our due process rights that Officer Figueroa will be vindicated."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...more-police-death-lawsuit-20180507-story.html

Freddie Gray case: Federal appeals court blocks suit against Baltimore State's Attorney Mosby

The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has blocked a lawsuit against Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby brought by five city police officers who claimed she maliciously prosecuted them following the 2015 death of Freddie Gray.

Monday’s ruling by the federal appeals court overturned a January 2017 decision by U.S. District Judge Marvin J. Garbis, who at the time ruled that charges including malicious prosecution, defamation and invasion of privacy could move forward against Mosby and Assistant Baltimore City Sheriff Samuel Cogen, who wrote the statement of probable cause in the case. Garbis dismissed other counts, including false arrest and false imprisonment.

Gray, 25, suffered a severe spinal injury while in police custody on April 12, 2015, and died a week later. Mosby charged six officers involved in his arrest and transport with criminal counts including manslaughter and second-degree murder. Three were acquitted by a judge of all charges, and Mosby dropped the remaining cases.

Five of the officers — Lt. Brian Rice, Sgt. Alicia White and officers Edward Nero, Garrett Miller and William Porter — filed suit in civil court for what they say was a malicious prosecution. Their lawyers claim Mosby didn't have enough evidence and charged them to ease the unrest that followed his death.

Mosby's lawyers argued that as a prosecutor, Mosby was immune from the lawsuit.

The federal appeals court agreed.

“We resoundingly reject the invitation to cast aside decades of Supreme Court and circuit precedent to narrow the immunity prosecutors enjoy,” Chief Judge Roger Gregory wrote in the court’s opinion. “And we find no justification for denying Mosby the protection from suit that the Maryland legislature has granted her.

“That the Officers disagree with Mosby’s decision to prosecute — as most defendants do — or with the information in the application for Statement of Charges — which inherently contains defamatory information — does not entitle them to litigate their disagreement in court, and much less recover damages,” Gregory wrote.

Attorneys with the Maryland Attorney General's Office represented Mosby in the lawsuit. A spokeswoman with the office deferred comment to Mosby's office.

“I support the court's opinion that the people of Baltimore elected me to deliver one standard of justice for all, and that using the legal system to reach a fair and just resolution to Gray’s death was not a political move, but rather it was my duty," Mosby said in an emailed statement.

Attorneys for the officers could not be reached for comment Monday afternoon. But Lt. Gene Ryan, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 3, the local union that represents police, questioned the court’s decision.

“She maliciously prosecuted the officers and abused the authority of her office because if she would have looked at the evidence, she would have realized that she didn’t have the evidence to support the charges that she placed on those six officers,” Ryan said.

The officers have 90 days to submit a petition to the Supreme Court to hear the case, according to court documents.

giphy.gif

Back