Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Old School House Music: An Appreciation Thread

A couple West End Records classics by the same Artist: Loose Joints

I swear DJ Deeon flipped the first joint for "2Be Free"

Detroit fam, ^^^ This is the flip side to this club anthem:

I bought ^^^ that EP specifically for "The Freaks" and never played anything else for months. One day I was looking for some new shit for a mix and started playing b-sides and found "2Be Free".

Tha D is the home of Techno, but we LOVED House back inna day!

I used to spin at parties back in the early 90's and make mixtapes to sell on the job. You had to play House joints or nobody would fuck with you back then.

This joint was everything back in the day. Every fuckin time I dropped the needle on it back in '91/92 the spot would go nuts.

Same for this joint, but it had to be this specific version of "Pacific". This was back when A Guy Called Gerald was still a member of 808 State.

I copped this joint from Buy Rite on 7 mile right before a gig we did at Introvest. I dropped it in the mix and muhfuckas lost their damned minds.

I dropped this at a U of D party in '91 and the homie came behind me and blended it with the acapella for Heavy D's We Got Our Own Thang and stole all my thunder.

I'll just leave this one here for my Detroit fam. @Scandalust313 @Ghost313 @Breezy_Kilroy @The Mad Titan @TheMadLionsFan

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
You won the innanets and I phucking love you!!! 🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐

*Funk Flex bombs*

I was looking for that Chris Cuevas joint AND Taxi Cab but couldn't remember the name of it!

Work That Muthaphucka makes me INSANE...that's my shiiiiit!!!!!!

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
You won the innanets and I phucking love you!!! 🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐

*Funk Flex bombs*

I was looking for that Chris Cuevas joint AND Taxi Cab but couldn't remember the name of it!

Work That Muthaphucka makes me INSANE...that's my shiiiiit!!!!!!

hehe.

I still own the same copy of the Chris Cuevas "Hip Hop" remixes that I bought from Buy Rite nearly 30 years ago. I'm surprised it still doesn't have groove burn.

100_3377.JPG

Last edited:
Wow really???

Did he explain how they're considered to be Techno?

'cause Inner City has always been a techno group. Back then it was Kevin Saunderson, Art Forrest (whom I've also met), and Paris on vocals. Granted, Kevin went on to do stuff more in line with what most folks think of when they think "Detroit Techno" with his Resse, Essray, and other projects but he was adamant that That stuff was Techno from the jump.

Same for how a lot of folks associated Derrick May's "Strings of Life", "Nude Photo", and "Salsa Life" with House, but they're actually Techno.

'cause Inner City has always been a techno group. Back then it was Kevin Saunderson, Art Forrest (whom I've also met), and Paris on vocals. Granted, Kevin went on to do stuff more in line with what most folks think of when they think "Detroit Techno" with his Resse, Essray, and other projects but he was adamant that That stuff was Techno from the jump.

Same for how a lot of folks associated Derrick May's "Strings of Life", "Nude Photo", and "Salsa Life" with House, but they're actually Techno.

Wow

Ok so "Strings of Life" I've always heard in the club mixed with LOTS of bass...didn't really feel Techno

"Nude Photo" and "Salsa Life" is undeniably Techno...no confusion there

Going back listening to the Inner City joints...I get it now

Thanks for the education Mr. Jones!

You still spin?

Wow

Ok so "Strings of Life" I've always heard in the club mixed with LOTS of bass...didn't really feel Techno

"Nude Photo" and "Salsa Life" is undeniably Techno...no confusion there

Going back listening to the Inner City joints...I get it now

Thanks for the education Mr. Jones!

You still spin?

I will eventually, I haven't done a show since 2006 and I really miss it. I'm eyeballing a new set of turntables and I guess I'll put one of my laptops to use for Serato. If I had my way I'd continue with 100% vinyl but I know how shit is these days so I gotta break down and get it.

Question;

Is there new electronic music and what is it called?

Also, when using the term, "House" or "Techno" does that specifically refer to music from the late 80s or early 90s or does it apply to music that sounds a certain way regardless when it was made. For example: can you make "House music" in 2021? Can you make "Techno music" in 2021? Or does that specifically apply to music from that time period? For example, you can't make West Coast G-Funk in 2021 because that term specifically applies to mid-90s music from California. Can you make House Music and Techno music in 2021? If not, what would that style of music be called if you made it?

I will eventually, I haven't done a show since 2006 and I really miss it. I'm eyeballing a new set of turntables and I guess I'll put one of my laptops to use for Serato. If I had my way I'd continue with 100% vinyl but I know how shit is these days so I gotta break down and get it.
I hope you get back into it...I'm sure I'll need your services lol

I swear DJ Deeon flipped the first joint for "2Be Free"

Detroit fam, ^^^ This is the flip side to this club anthem:

I bought ^^^ that EP specifically for "The Freaks" and never played anything else for months. One day I was looking for some new shit for a mix and started playing b-sides and found "2Be Free".

AHHHHHH SOOKIE BEANS!!!! DJ DEEON OF DANCE MANIA RECORDS!!!!!

I see you digging as hard as we are up in here.................

I was about to drop some Dance Mania shit, too. The Dirty, Grimy side of House Musick.......

DJ Deeon "Da Bomb"

Tim Harper "Toxic Waste (Club Mix)

Top Cat "Work Out"

Had to hit y'all off with a few selections from the "Hardcore Traxx" Compilation.
Question;

Is there new electronic music and what is it called?

Also, when using the term, "House" or "Techno" does that specifically refer to music from the late 80s or early 90s or does it apply to music that sounds a certain way regardless when it was made. For example: can you make "House music" in 2021? Can you make "Techno music" in 2021? Or does that specifically apply to music from that time period? For example, you can't make West Coast G-Funk in 2021 because that term specifically applies to mid-90s music from California. Can you make House Music and Techno music in 2021? If not, what would that style of music be called if you made it?

Is this a rhetorical question? Curious........

I was about to drop some Dance Mania shit, too. The Dirty, Grimy side of House Musick.......

DJ Deeon "Da Bomb"

Top Cat "Work Out"

Had to hit y'all off with a few selections from the "Hardcore Traxx" Compilation.

Bruuuuuuh!!! I've been looking for that that Tim Harper shit for decades! One of the cats I used to spin with dropped that shit at a party we did and the muhfuckas in the spot went nuts! I completely forgot the name and everything. Good shit!

DJ Deeon "Da Bomb"

Top Cat "Work Out"

Well yeah but if you can add on, then add on.

I had this conversation about Old School Hip Hop. Even if you rapped like an old school rapper over an old school sounding beat, it still wouldn't be old school Hip Hop. So if you made music that sounded like House or Techno, would it still be House or Techno, or do those terms specifically apply to a certain time period?

I used to use the intro to this joint at the beginning of my mix tapes back in the day

This joint had muhfuckas all clapping and snapping along with it.

And since I'm making a pit stop on Cajual Records...

I had this conversation about Old School Hip Hop. Even if you rapped like an old school rapper over an old school sounding beat, it still wouldn't be old school Hip Hop. So if you made music that sounded like House or Techno, would it still be House or Techno, or do those terms specifically apply to a certain time period?

If you make House or Techno in 2021, it's still House or Techno. Lotta Chicago and Detroit cats still droppin joints.

If you make House or Techno in 2021, it's still House or Techno. Lotta Chicago and Detroit cats still droppin joints.

Exactly what @konceptjones said. Even the OGs are still dropping shit in Detroit and Chicago: Theo Parrish, Omar-S, Larry Heard/Mr. Fingers, Ron Trent, "Mad" Mike Banks from Underground Resistance--you name it. House Music and Techno have taken the World over by storm and influenced Generations of Musicians, DJs, and Producers, and it's not planning on slowing down. It's the Record Labels and Music Critics/Journalists/Bloggers who make it seem that way when they make up these ridiculous labels to describe certain types of Music when it's just House or Techno.

Back