Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Old school hip hop is trash

I can't see how you can listen to those albums and then go back to a spottem gottem. But if it's not for you it's not for you

Man I don’t care how old you are…when Hip Hop Hooray by Naughty By Nature comes on…EVERYBODY bops to that shit..

That’s what defines a classic. Maybe you don’t like the Gangsta rap era in the mid 90’s but have you ever listened to:

The Chronic
Doggystyle (by Snoop)
Midnight Marauders
19 Naughty 3
Return Of The Boom Bap
Mama Said Knock You Out (the album)
Death Certificate
Dead Serious (Das Efx)

Man I don’t care how old you are…when Hip Hop Hooray by Naughty By Nature comes on…EVERYBODY bops to that shit..

That’s what defines a classic. Maybe you don’t like the Gangsta rap era in the mid 90’s but have you ever listened to:

The Chronic
Doggystyle (by Snoop)
Midnight Marauders
19 Naughty 3
Return Of The Boom Bap
Mama Said Knock You Out (the album)
Death Certificate
Dead Serious (Das Efx)

We can't expect these young kids to fuck w our music like we do. Some will some won't. There's too many factors too consider. If the 1st rap song u heard was by XXXtencion, then THATS hip hop to you. Going back to some Redman or wu tang might not be their thing. Also depends who is around. My stepson 17. He plays me new music from now and I play him old school shit. I like some of his n he likes some of the shit I play em...

We can't expect these young kids to fuck w our music like we do. Some will some won't. There's too many factors too consider. If the 1st rap song u heard was by XXXtencion, then THATS hip hop to you. Going back to some Redman or wu tang might not be their thing. Also depends who is around. My stepson 17. He plays me new music from now and I play him old school shit. I like some of his n he likes some of the shit I play em...

I like new generation to a degree. Sonically I like the instrumentals of this generation but it definitely doesn’t have the longevity of 90-00’s music…the music today is like fast food

I like new generation to a degree. Sonically I like the instrumentals of this generation but it definitely doesn’t have the longevity of 90-00’s music…the music today is like fast food

I get what u saying. It might not have the longevity to US. But these youngins making childhood memories to these songs. They gon be bumping this shit 10-12 years from now n reminiscing just like we do bout our generations music. Imagine a 16 year old riding in their 1st car and playin Migos.
Or a 14 year old freshman bumping Kodak on his first day of high school. That music will stay w them memories

I get what u saying. It might not have the longevity to US. But these youngins making childhood memories to these songs. They gon be bumping this shit 10-12 years from now n reminiscing just like we do bout our generations music. Imagine a 16 year old riding in their 1st car and playin Migos.
Or a 14 year old freshman bumping Kodak on his first day of high school. That music will stay w them memories

I agree they’ll be bumping it 10 years from now due to childhood nostalgia. But when I say longevity, how much of an influence do you think these songs will have on music 20 years from now?

Like I said when I mentioned Hip Hop Hooray….people of every age group knows and jams to that song.

Hip Hop was criticized back then because it was controversial, but the lyricism and content is what made it so special. I can see Migos and maybe a few others being remembered but the vast majority? Maybe it’s just me..

There's certain artists and hip hop that will always cross generational lines...and there's some that will only be understood by the generation that was young while it was at the top. Take the way people were waxing nostalgic about Dipset before that Verzuz battle. Unless you were around 02-06 when they were at their peak it's hard as hell to explain why the same generation that now swears lyrical ability is no longer a requirement to be a rapper also hold niggas who spit the bars Juelz, Jim and Cam spit on some of those songs.

So some shit that dropped 15 years ago probably won't hit the same. Same as we can appreciate the r&b alot of our parents grew up on but you aint about to tell me that if you feeling nostalgic you gonna throw on The Deele over Jodeci if you're in the mood for some r&b.

How 80’s rapper talked about gangsta rap is how y’all record store/reason niggas talk about today’s rappers.

y’all old as shit lol and the music ain’t being made for you. Look at that rap city coming back thread.

I agree they’ll be bumping it 10 years from now due to childhood nostalgia. But when I say longevity, how much of an influence do you think these songs will have on music 20 years from now?

Like I said when I mentioned Hip Hop Hooray….people of every age group knows and jams to that song.

Hip Hop was criticized back then because it was controversial, but the lyricism and content is what made it so special. I can see Migos and maybe a few others being remembered but the vast majority? Maybe it’s just me..

I can think of one way today's music will be influential in the future. The youngins listening to today's music, who will rap or sing in the future will go back n sample what they grew up bumping. Same thing our generation and the generation before ours did. A 10 year old today bumping lil uzi, could easily be a 25 year old rapper in 15 years and sample his shit. Happened before, will happen again. Then that generation will hear that sample and so forth n so forth. Luke had the perfect song about this "old school"

There's a way to understand these young niggas without being the old nigga in the club. I don't expect a 16 year old kid to like the same music I do...that's a crazy expectation to have.

I don't buy the younger gen not feeling the Golden age across the board. Those so easily tossing it aside aren't putting the effort in and they probably not putting the effort in becuz there's already so much coming out that's current. If they dig deep enough they'll find a lot to like. I'll stand by that.

If it's not the cold and grimy east coast style there's upbeat west coast and soulful down south. There's too much variation in beat selection, lyricism and flow to genuinely say u can't appreciate that era. U don't just start and stop with the legends of that time (Nas, Pac, Biggie etc).

I'm gonna give younger gens the benefit of doubt and say it's ignorance more than anything.

Bro you making that statement on a site that houses majority of 40+ aged people. It ain't going to go over well. Lol

But I agree 80s rap is not my cup of tea at all and most aged a lil corny to me.

How 80’s rapper talked about gangsta rap is how y’all record store/reason niggas talk about today’s rappers.

y’all old as shit lol and the music ain’t being made for you. Look at that rap city coming back thread.
Asking kids to listen to Blueprint 1 today is the equivalent to asking kids in 2001 to listen to kurtis blow

all these old niggas mad at homie and calling him a fake account lol

Last edited:
Back