Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official College Basketball Thread/Prospect Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Rubato @southsil4lil @The Hue how y’all feel about the job Shaka is doing at UT? I’m starting to feel like he’s underachieving.

Underachieving would be an understatement at this point

Texas Basketball is hard to watch and its been that way for a long time, no offensive identity and 0 shooting is what have to look forward to every time thet step on the court

Shaka is a good recruiter but he either isnt recruiting the right players or they arent being developed properly because all the talent that has come through hasnt translated into any real on court success

Underachieving would be an understatement at this point

Texas Basketball is hard to watch and its been that way for a long time, no offensive identity and 0 shooting is what have to look forward to every time thet step on the court

Shaka is a good recruiter but he either isnt recruiting the right players or they arent being developed properly because all the talent that has come through hasnt translated into any real on court success

We definitely got shooters on the roster, they just not being developed the right way

We definitely got shooters on the roster, they just not being developed the right way

351 d1 college basketball programs and Texas is number 260 in terms of 3pt fg%.....I think thats actually an improvement from previous years where we might have been bottom 10

We have supposed shooters but they aren't being put in position to succeed due to a lack of an offense strategy and/or coaching

We brought in Neill Berry from Iowa St who was supposed to help but its still been the exact same shit except they're just standing further away from the basket lol

@A.F.R.I.C.A Dude, are u concerned RJ Barrett does not shoot the three well (and FTs)?

P.S. I really like De'Andre Hunter's game. Wont be a "star", but will be a very solid NBA player for a decade.

@A.F.R.I.C.A Dude, are u concerned RJ Barrett does not shoot the three well (and FTs)?

P.S. I really like De'Andre Hunter's game. Wont be a "star", but will be a very solid NBA player for a decade.

His FT shooting isnt terrible but his perimeter game does need some work. He does a lot of other things really well so im not too concerned about him as an over all prospect. Might end up being a bigger Westbrook.

As for Hunter honestly im not too familiar with his game. From what I've seen he looks to be a solid 3 and D guy. Like you said hes probably not going to be a star at the next level but still a pretty valuable player.

If we end up in the NIT, Del Conte pretty much has to make a move right?

Big YES, Texas boosters ain't having it. We're a football school but that doesn't mean that we have to accept being trash at basketball. Sweet 16 at a minimum every year, that's what we should be striving for.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...round-creating-jealousy-other-college-coaches

Penny Hardaway: Memphis staff's NBA background creating 'jealousy' among other coaches

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Penny Hardaway says the NBA background of his Memphis coaching staff is creating a little jealousy among other coaches, putting a target on his back in his first season with the Tigers.

"I'm getting used to this as a coach because it's a little jealousy from a lot of these coaches around the country," Hardaway said Monday. "I do understand that because we are NBA players trying to come back, and we didn't have any experience as college coaches. So we didn't quote, unquote, 'Pay our dues.' So the coaches and their so-called boys that are in the media, they're going to always throw jabs at us."

The first-year coach says his Tigers still have to prove the detractors wrong by winning.

Hired in March to replace Tubby Smith, Hardaway hired former NBA players Mike Miller and Sam Mitchell, who's also a former NBA coach of the year, as assistants. Hardaway has made it clear he's tapping into his professional background to help his alma mater, including making tweaks to a year-old basketball facility on campus to bring it up to NBA quality.

His Tigers (13-7) just beat UCF, the preseason favorite in the American Athletic Conference, 77-57 this past weekend. And reaching the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2014 is Hardaway's goal in his debut season at Memphis, which faces a serious test this week with road games at Tulsa on Wednesday and at USF Bulls on Saturday.

Hardaway exchanged verbal jabs with Tennessee coach Rick Barnes a couple of days after the Vols beat the Tigers 102-92 in December. Hardaway declined to name any coaches he suspected of being jealous of his coaching staff, saying only that he hears the "rumbling" as they all fight for the same players in recruiting.

He said there's a bit of a backlash and negativity with the NBA approach Memphis is taking with him, Miller and Mitchell and that their NBA experience is "a little intimidating to a lot of people."

"For sure, I definitely feel like there's a target on my back," Hardaway said. "There's a lot of people that don't want me to succeed because it's going to look like an NBA guy came back with no experience and won so of course I relish in that."

Hardaway noted he played for some Hall of Fame coaches during his NBA career, and he also won three straight Tennessee high school basketball titles while also coaching his own AAU program.

"I'm not here to ruffle any feathers; I'm just here to win," Hardaway said.

If I had my choice between a good coaching staff that excelled in the NBA vs. a good coaching staff that never sniffed an NBA court, I'm going with the former.

And there's a lot of other head coaches that came from the NBA (Ewing, Manning, and Mins to name a few), so why the hate for Penny?

Because all the top recruits are probably high on Memphis now.. And other programs don’t that type of buzz or can’t think of a way to generate that type buzz on the recruiting trail.. So there hating from the sidelines...

Because all the top recruits are probably high on Memphis now.. And other programs don’t that type of buzz or can’t think of a way to generate that type buzz on the recruiting trail.. So there hating from the sidelines...
So these high recruiting coaches mad a newbie Coach from the NBA picking up their recruits. Guess it would be ok if it was Calipari or Coach K.

Crazy how we play up and down to our competition every single game.....get smacked by the likes of Georgia, TCU and Radford....Beat Chapel Hill, Kansas and Oklahoma

Shit like that falls directly on the coach imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back