Welcome To aBlackWeb

Alley of Angst

PRAISE: This 2021 version is definitely darker and more sinister than the 1947 Tyrone Power version.
The cast including: Bradley Cooper · Stanton Carlisle ; Cate Blanchett · Dr. Lilith Ritter ; Toni Collette · Zeena the Seer ; Willem Dafoe · Clem Hoatley & Richard Jenkins
are equally great.
There's a mysterious vibe to all of the characters and most of them are fleshed out well in this story about down-on-his-luck Stanton Carlisle endears himself to a clairvoyant and her mentalist husband at a traveling carnival. Using newly acquired knowledge, Carlisle crafts a golden ticket to success by swindling the elite and wealthy
It was interesting how some characters pushed what they were doing to the limit without any real morals or remorse.
The story is involving and haunting with visuals to match.
I really liked that this movie reminded me of a few episodes of Fargo

PROBLEMS : Some of the gory moments are over the top. I felt the 2 hour and 30 minute length of the movie a few times.
If additional information about a character had been provided the ultimate choice the character makes would have had more of an impact.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

I just watched this yesterday. I really really enjoyed this movie. Wasnt a movie that kept you at the edge of your seat or had big spectacles but I thought it was a really dope story. I love period pieces too. Theres something about the whole early 1900s travelling carnival shows that were just so eerie to me and del toro does awesome bringing it to screen. Love the take on a character climbing to the top and crashing down.

I started watching this but when homie ate a live chicken in the beginning I was like uhhhhh....no.

I'll try again later lol

I thought this was a very good film. Beautiful visuals so I can see why it's nominated for production design and costume design. I feel Bradley Cooper is underrated as an actor cause he turned in an excellent performance in this as well as Cate Blanchett.

Wild how Stan ended up being a geek at the end, now he's gonna be doing shit like biting chicken's heads off to survive. Couldn't keep conning.

Back