Welcome To aBlackWeb

Nigerian Artist "Killaboi" Confesses To Murdering GF

English is widespread in Africa. A Namibian in a major city will very likely speak English. I may have not explained properly but not every single black person speaks English pidgin. However it has become so widespread that you don’t need to speak English to speak pidgin since so many people speak it. As far as I know they don’t use pidgin in ALL African countries since South Africa has its version such as Afrikaans. But I know a country like Botswana also has its form of pidgin.

Nigeria is also the most populous majority Black Country in the world where most people speak pidgin, so of course the BBC will offer a pidgin service. That’s reaching out to like almost half a billion readers alone just reaching out to Nigerian readers, not to mention other nations like Ghana, Cameroon, Cote D’Ivoire etc.

Plus, many people may not be able to read English news. I mean I know English US and European newspapers already dumb their words and sentences down, assuming the average reader can read at the level of a nine year old. So it makes sense to have a pidgin version that people can readily digest since, even if you never went to school or learnt to read English, then you definitely grew up speaking pidgin to communicate between people of another language. Nigeria alone has like 700+ languages. You need a universal language to connect everyone.

That just reinforces my question as to why not just use English? Pidgin languages are highly localized, no? So the West African pidgin English that the BBC uses might not be useful in Mozambique, for example (beyond the English/Portuguese differences). If the purpose to to be able to connect to the most people in Africa, how does a regional pidgin help? I don't know if many in Congo will be able to understand what is being said with an English-based pidgin.

That just reinforces my question as to why not just use English? Pidgin languages are highly localized, no? So the West African pidgin English that the BBC uses might not be useful in Mozambique, for example. If the purpose to to be able to connect to the most people in Africa, how does a regional pidgin help? I don't know if many in Congo will be able to understand what is being said with an English-based pidgin.
No. English Pidgin is not highly localised. That’s why I said you can understand it regardless of your region. Once you know the English pidgin in one region you know the pidgin in another region. I don’t know the exact numbers, but hundreds of millions of people in Africa speak pidgin. The BBC is just leaving money on the table not having a pidgin version. I believe one country added it as an official language recently- or they were thinking of adding it.

Even professionals in Africa who speak English tend to speak pidgin too. You need it to be able to communicate with people who can’t speak English, usually people on the bottom rung of society. I mean people on the bottom rung of society need to read news too. Plus, the politics of language replicates itself in Africa as in everywhere. So while French is the second most spoken language, a lot of French speakers can speak English while a lot of English speakers don’t bother to speak French. Same as in the US a lot of Spanish speakers speak English but not vice versa. So, once you can speak English, it’s also easy for you to speak pidgin English once you are surrounded by it.

That just reinforces my question as to why not just use English? Pidgin languages are highly localized, no? So the West African pidgin English that the BBC uses might not be useful in Mozambique, for example (beyond the English/Portuguese differences). If the purpose to to be able to connect to the most people in Africa, how does a regional pidgin help? I don't know if many in Congo will be able to understand what is being said with an English-based pidgin.
You also have a lot of poor people in Africa who speak English pidgin but not English. And they need to read the news too basically.

No. English Pidgin is not highly localised. That’s why I said you can understand it regardless of your region. Once you know the English pidgin in one region you know the pidgin in another region. I don’t know the exact numbers, but hundreds of millions of people in Africa speak pidgin. The BBC is just leaving money on the table not having a pidgin version. I believe one country added it as an official language recently- or they were thinking of adding it.

Even professionals in Africa who speak English tend to speak pidgin too. You need it to be able to communicate with people who can’t speak English, usually people on the bottom rung of society. I mean people on the bottom rung of society need to read news too. Plus, the politics of language replicates itself in Africa as in everywhere. So while French is the second most spoken language, a lot of French speakers can speak English while a lot of English speakers don’t bother to speak French. Same as in the US a lot of Spanish speakers speak English but not vice versa. So, once you can speak English, it’s also easy for you to speak pidgin English once you are surrounded by it.

Interesting. I see now what you are getting at. Although pidgin languages are grammatically influenced by their source languages, they might not be mutually intelligible. I guess I still don't see how this helps BBC in places where English isn't largely known by the majority of the populace but I might be underestimating how many people actually speak it as opposed to other European languages left behind by the colonizers.

Interesting. I see now what you are getting at. Although pidgin languages are grammatically influenced by their source languages, they might not be mutually intelligible. I guess I still don't see how this helps BBC in places where English isn't largely known by the majority of the populace but I might be underestimating how many people actually speak it as opposed to other European languages left behind by the colonizers.
For the last time, pidgin English has SLIGHT variations across regions but you can understand all dialects if you know one dialect. Bruh! How is this not getting across!!!!! :wtf33:

The BBC also has a big presence all over the world. They have always had a world service broadcasting in different languages worldwide, not just pidgin.

For the last time, pidgin English has SLIGHT variations across regions but you can understand all dialects if you know one dialect. Bruh! How is this not getting across!!!!! :wtf33:

The BBC also has a big presence all over the world. They have always had a world service broadcasting in different languages worldwide, not just pidgin.

I don't know what the disconnect here is. If English isn't a language that is spoken, I don't understand how an English pidgin works there. If there were no English, there would be no English pidgin. No English pidgin=no understanding of English pidgin.

If a region only speaks Lingala, Kikongo, Swahili, and some French, how does an English pidgin help them? So the only conclusion is that I am underestimating how widespread English is.

As to the BBC, I did not understand the point of a pidgin language when you already offered the service in said pidgin language's source language i.e., what is the point of Pidgin English when you already have it in English? What I did not know is that Pidgin English is not always mutually intelligible with English so there are those who have learned Pidgin English who cannot understand Standard English.

Last edited:
I don't know what the disconnect here is. If English isn't a language that is spoken, I don't understand how an English pidgin works there. If there were no English, there would be no English pidgin. No English pidgin=no understanding of English pidgin.

If a region only speaks Lingala, Kikongo, Swahili, and some French, how does an English pidgin help them? So the only conclusion is that I am underestimating how widespread English is.

As to the BBC, I did not understand the point of a pidgin language when you already offered the service in said pidgin language's source language i.e., what is the point of Pidgin English when you already have it in English? What I did not know is that Pidgin English is not always mutually intelligible with English.
When did I say English is not widely spoken? I literally said it’s the most common language in Africa. I think you’re not reading my posts correctly as I have answered the questions you are bringing up multiple times over.

When did I say English is not widely spoken? I literally said it’s the most common language in Africa. I think you’re not reading my posts correctly as I have answered the questions you are bringing up multiple times over.

I never suggested you said otherwise. I said I was still confused as to how an English pidgin works in non-English speaking regions so my fault must be that I am underestimating the reach of English. I am reading your posts correctly.

If person 1 speaks X and some Z and person 2 speaks Y and some Z, they can form a pidgin based on Z with loaner words from X and Y. If person 3 speaks A and C, the XYZ pidgin will be unintelligible to them.

I never suggested you said otherwise. I said I was still confused as to how an English pidgin works in non-English speaking regions so my fault must be that I am underestimating the reach of English. I am reading your posts correctly.

If person 1 speaks X and Z and person 2 speaks Y and Z, they can form a pidgin based on Z with loaner words from X and Y. If person 3 speaks A and C, the XYZ pidgin will be unintelligible to them.
That’s why I said in French speaking countries, enough people speak English as a second language or English pidgin because you sort of need English to move through Africa. People travel through Africa for business a lot and for holidays etc, so those languages also cross borders. Likewise, major giants in Africa like South Africa and Nigeria speak English, hence the influence of these countries cause French speaking nations to have to learn English. Other languages like German and Portuguese are relegated to like two or three countries so either they learn English or they will be isolated from the rest of sub-Saharan Africa. Hence this causes the reach of English Pidgin to become even more far reaching. That’s why I talked about the politics of language. A lot of it has to do with politics.

Forgetting about Pidgin for a second, the BBC has world services in major world languages all over the world. Pidgin is just one of them.

That’s why I said in French speaking countries, enough people speak English as a second language or English pidgin because you sort of need English to move through Africa. People travel through Africa for business a lot and for holidays etc, so those languages also cross borders. Likewise, major giants in Africa like South Africa and Nigeria speak English, hence the influence of these countries cause French speaking nations to have to learn English. Other languages like German and Portuguese are relegated to like two or three countries so either they learn English or they will be isolated from the rest of sub-Saharan Africa. Hence this causes the reach of English Pidgin to become even more far reaching. That’s why I talked about the politics of language. A lot of it has to do with politics.

Forgetting about Pidgin for a second, the BBC has world services in major world languages all over the world. Pidgin is just one of them.

Yes. Which is why I said this.

so my fault must be that I am underestimating the reach of English

Yes. Which is why I said this.
Oh right. Yes you are. In Europe a lot of non-British citizens learn English as a second language for that reason, while the Brits do not bother to learn other languages. Like a lot will literally move to Spain, Portugal and France and still not bother to learn the language despite living their for years.

Oh right. Yes you are. In Europe a lot of non-British citizens learn English as a second language for that reason, while the Brits do not bother to learn other languages. Like a lot will literally move to Spain, Portugal and France and still not bother to learn the language despite living their for years.

Personally, I feel like I deserve an apology for that negative energy you threw my way despite my agreeing with you and accepting the knowledge you were giving.

cry-crying.gif

Back