Welcome To aBlackWeb

New Series I’m Thinking About Doing

5th Letter

Mod Squad
I want to look at albums that people say were bad or disappointing and do a deep dive on them. Any suggestions on albums? Don’t just list a bunch of albums list like one or two and say why you put them up there.

This new Meek Mill album you can start with.

Pee-YOU.

giphy.gif

When Slick Rick went to prison he recorded two albums that were supposed to keep his name hot while he was locked up. The first album dropped in 1991 and the second in 1994 or 1995.

As far as I recall, there were only 2 or 3 good songs from both albums combined

Kill that shit bruh. Lately I been flirtin with the thought of some kind of music journalism as well.

Lookin forward to what you come up with.

Nas “it was written”. Trust me I know the Album has a whole different look now from what I heard. Now considered a classic.

It’s my favorite Nas album and one of my favorite albums of all time but I want to hear from the OGs that was old enough at the time about the negative perception it was getting then and why.

What about it was disappointing at the time? To me it’s perfect but I first heard the album in 2008 or something

Nas “it was written”. Trust me I know the Album has a whole different look now from what I heard. Now considered a classic.

It’s my favorite Nas album and one of my favorite albums of all time but I want to hear from the OGs that was old enough at the time about the negative perception it was getting then and why.

What about it was disappointing at the time? To me it’s perfect but I first heard the album in 2008 or something
They wanted Illmatic 2. And the sound on IWW was mainstream sounding for its time.

Nas-nastrdomus
People didn't like the album but I didn't see a problem with it

Lupe- food and liquor 2
Same thing with this... I don't see what was the issue with the album
Food and Liquor had some cool songs but he was trying to dumb it down and came off waaaaaaaaaay too preachy and judgemental in his music. Nigga was sounding like someone old Dad on that shit.

Here is mine.

Playboi Carti- Whole Lotta Red.

Not lyrical album, and some songs are hilariously bad, but serves their purpose to hype you up and be fun.

Was the whole album considered mainstream sounding or just the singles? Such as if I ruled the world and street dreams?

Illmatic didn't even go gold when it came out, or if it did it barely went gold.

People like Coolio and Snoop were going multiplatinum and Nas was struggling to go gold.

There was alot of underground East Coast stuff at the time like Jeru The Damaja, Organized Konfusion and Wu Tang. Also mixtapes Doo Wop, S&S, Ron G. There was alot going on at the time, on the East Coast but it wasn't selling.

Columbia and Steve Stoute figured out what to do. They made a Foulness Freestyle for the mixtape DJs and got new producers. Producers that are known for creating hits. The final result was more polished than Illmatic but it lacked that underground edge. Personally I thought Illmatic was better. But I'd have to admit If I Ruled The World was a perfect crossover single.

Illmatic didn't even go gold when it came out, or if it did it barely went gold.

People like Coolio and Snoop were going multiplatinum and Nas was struggling to go gold.

There was alot of underground East Coast stuff at the time like Jeru The Damaja, Organized Konfusion and Wu Tang. Also mixtapes Doo Wop, S&S, Ron G. There was alot going on at the time, on the East Coast but it wasn't selling.

Columbia and Steve Stoute figured out what to do. They made a Foulness Freestyle for the mixtape DJs and got new producers. Producers that are known for creating hits. The final result was more polished than Illmatic but it lacked that underground edge. Personally I thought Illmatic was better. But I'd have to admit If I Ruled The World was a perfect crossover single.

That Tommy Gun Dunn verse tho.

200.gif

Back