Welcome To aBlackWeb

Nas Announces ‘It Was Written’ 25th Anniversary Reissue

Don Dada

Rerelease features original LP as well as pair of rare tracks, the previously cassette-only “Silent Murder” and “Street Dreams (Bonus Verse)”

Nas will celebrate the 25th anniversary of his 1996 album It Was Written with a new reissue that includes the original LP alongside a pair of rare bonus tracks.

The follow-up to his landmark debut Illmatic, It Was Written boasted his hits “The Message,” “Street Dreams” and “If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)” featuring Lauryn Hill. The album also had appearances by Mobb Deep, Dr. Dre, Foxy Brown and the debut of the Firm, the hip-hop supergroup of Nas, Foxy Brown, AZ and Cormega.

Out July 2nd — the actual 25th birthday of the album, released July 2nd, 1996 — the digital expanded reissue also includes the cassette-only bonus track “Silent Murder” (out digitally for the first time) as well as a version of “Street Dreams” that includes a bonus verse.

RELATED STORIES
It Was Written
Big L Is 'Rap Royalty.' Why Is His Legacy in Disarray?

Additionally, reissue label Get On Down will reissue the album as a 2LP “silver & clear galaxy effect” colored vinyl as well as an old-school cassette with an original 8 panel J-Card featuring lyrics housed in a custom slip case. A 7″ colored vinyl of the “The Message”/ “Street Dreams (bonus version)” is also available to preorder now via Get It Down ahead of the physical reissue’s release in September.

To mark the anniversary, Sony Music has re-uploaded It Was Written’s “If I Ruled The World (Imagine That)” and “Street Dreams” music videos in high resolution quality, as well as shared a short documentary about the 1996 LP:

Why not take it in blood 2000
Street dreams remix. Yeah yeah I know the Kells ish but still.
Firm biz remix.
Silent murder should be put in its proper slot not as a bonus song. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 make this right

To commemorate the milestone, the Queensbridge-bred Hip Hop legend and Sony Music’ Legacy Recordings division has unleashed an expanded version of the project featuring bonus tracks “Silent Murder” and “Street Dreams” (bonus verse). It also includes all original 14 tracks in their exact running order.

No R Kelly on the album

Back