Welcome To aBlackWeb

It was a “meh” for me

Joaquin’s acting made it a drag…also wish there were more focus on the battles

I know it was supposed to emphasize his relationship with Josephine by a lot. But there’s so much that could’ve been better to me imo

Thought it was really good. Nice humor added in. Lol loved his response when she called him fat. He had that smartass humor pretty well lol

I don't remember a lot of details about him from history so I'm a little curious on what was accurate and not

Thought it was really good. Nice humor added in. Lol loved his response when she called him fat. He had that smartass humor pretty well lol

I don't remember a lot of details about him from history so I'm a little curious on what was accurate and not
There are plenty of docs about him on youtube

I posted a YT video about him in this thread

Romance and Rule

PRAISE: The last time I watched a movie or a series based on the life of Napoleon was 1987's Napoleon and Josephine: A Love Story and it was pretty good.
So of course I was looking forward to this 2023 Napoleon movie with so much talent behind it. Director Ridley Scott, Joaquin Phoenix as Emperor Napoleon and as Empress Josephine Vanessa Kirby.
Even minus an accent Phoenix at times shines in the role and gives it his all. Especially in scenes with Kirby really displaying the volatile relationship between Napoleon and Josephine. Whether it's through insults,affection,their banter and dependence on each other I think they both did very well with those portions of the movie.
There's some dark humor I really enjoyed. The battle sequences are intense and brutal. I respect Scott's direction and the crew behind putting those scenes together.
There are definitely some visuals that were very soul stirring.

PROBLEMS : There are moments when watching Phoenix's performance I felt that he was miscast either he was trying to hard or not enough sometimes feeling like a parody of the historic figure. There's also a disorder to the movie in how things play out. The script is just stating well here's one highlight here and another here,oh and Napoleon did this or that or so on.
Even at a 2 hour and 30 minute run time it really feels like something is missing as certain facts about Napoleons triumphs and defeats are not fully realized . Which makes me look forward to the 4 and a half hour version that's supposed to hit Apple TV. Which I will definitely break up and turn it into a 4 hour and 30 minute series.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

There’s so much about his life that it’s hard to put it in even in a 3hr film

The movie did feel “rushed” and Phoenix’s acting was a bit lackluster…I think this was due to so many events that had to be put together without feeling overwhelming…I wish they would’ve expanded more about his time in Egypt and the battle of the pyramids

I wanna see the director’s cut….that’s the only way I can really say if I really like the film or not

Romance and Rule

PRAISE: The last time I watched a movie or a series based on the life of Napoleon was 1987's Napoleon and Josephine: A Love Story and it was pretty good.
So of course I was looking forward to this 2023 Napoleon movie with so much talent behind it. Director Ridley Scott, Joaquin Phoenix as Emperor Napoleon and as Empress Josephine Vanessa Kirby.
Even minus an accent Phoenix at times shines in the role and gives it his all. Especially in scenes with Kirby really displaying the volatile relationship between Napoleon and Josephine. Whether it's through insults,affection,their banter and dependence on each other I think they both did very well with those portions of the movie.
There's some dark humor I really enjoyed. The battle sequences are intense and brutal. I respect Scott's direction and the crew behind putting those scenes together.
There are definitely some visuals that were very soul stirring.

PROBLEMS : There are moments when watching Phoenix's performance I felt that he was miscast either he was trying to hard or not enough sometimes feeling like a parody of the historic figure. There's also a disorder to the movie in how things play out. The script is just stating well here's one highlight here and another here,oh and Napoleon did this or that or so on.
Even at a 2 hour and 30 minute run time it really feels like something is missing as certain facts about Napoleons triumphs and defeats are not fully realized . Which makes me look forward to the 4 and a half hour version that's supposed to hit Apple TV. Which I will definitely break up and turn it into a 4 hour and 30 minute series.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

The funny thing about Phoenix’s acting is that it was actually more accurate to how Napoleon really carried himself in real life

Most try to portray Napoleon as loud and dramatic when many sources say Napoleon was a very stiff and soft-spoken person (until leading his armies) in real life with an occasional “childishness”

It was meh

I watched this movie thinking it was going to be a historical epic but in reality its a soap opera disguised as a history movie

They made Napoleon out to be a weirdo and there were alot of significant history left out. They in no way did the wars and battles he was in justification and they completely left out "the why" of the battles.

Back