Welcome To aBlackWeb

Name an album you wish you could listen to for the first time again

Had to post again:
1644803343980.jpeg

Possibly the greatest…and I repeat THE GREATEST Album EVER made in American history

Everything from the civil rights movement, Vietnam War, God, the experience of black America, and his drug addiction all jam packed in this timeless piece of fucking art

The album doesn’t sound like an individual selection of songs like most albums do.

Instead, everything from the opening track sounds like ONE BIG piece of composition that is broken down into different tracks that illustrate the particular emotion Marvin is experiencing. Not only that, his emotions are ORGANIZED so it can be not only experienced, but understandable..

The music begins with the primary feeling of the album in the first track “What’s going on”…which is a feeling of confusion..it then ascends HIGHER in a feeling of hopefulness in “What’s Happening Brother”. Marvin wants to know what’s going on In his community and how things are impacting everyone. He seeks solace in other people. But his own issues get in the way when he suddenly CRASHES in depression in “Flyin High In a friendly sky”…indicating hopelessness and apathy. Struggling with his own problems and drug addiction

As he struggles with his own addictions he realizes that if he can’t find his own inner peace the only ones who can guarantee a greater future is the children. Which is illustrated in “Save The Children”.

Through seeing the hope of children he reaches a climax of joy and revelation in “God Is Love”. He puts his faith in God and sends off a prayer in “Mercy Mercy Me”

To me this is the climax of the album….at least in regards to his pondering of life. He wants to go back and deliver a message to the brothers he spoke to in his second track in “Right On”

At this point it seems as if Marvin is finished in his quest for answers. He sings “Wholy Holy” and to me it sounds like a completion of his existence and journey. Everything is complete….in a sense. He vents the frustrations of everyone in America in “Inner City Blues/Make Me Wanna Holler”. Letting people know he isn’t brushing our issues to the side. But simply revealing to everyone WHATS GOING ON…

One of the singles of the album “Sad Tomorrow’s” sounds like a plot twist to the entire piece of work. Truthfully it sounds like a suicidal letter. If Marvin couldn’t find hope in the children which brought him closer to God….Sad Tomorrow’s would have been his result and he probably would have killed himself. I like how it was “cleverly” planted at the end of the album instead of it being at the beginning….it’s like watching a movie and when you reach the ending you look for “alternate endings”

Anyway this is the GREATEST ALBUM to have ever blessed my ears and no one can tell me other wise. It’s an entire valley and mountain of emotions but like a mountain it is still planted in a firm foundation that is rational and understandable

See the source image

Had to post again:
View attachment 767985

Possibly the greatest…and I repeat THE GREATEST Album EVER made in American history

Everything from the civil rights movement, Vietnam War, God, the experience of black America, and his drug addiction all jam packed in this timeless piece of fucking art

The album doesn’t sound like an individual selection of songs like most albums do.

Instead, everything from the opening track sounds like ONE BIG piece of composition that is broken down into different tracks that illustrate the particular emotion Marvin is experiencing. Not only that, his emotions are ORGANIZED so it can be not only experienced, but understandable..

The music begins with the primary feeling of the album in the first track “What’s going on”…which is a feeling of confusion..it then ascends HIGHER in a feeling of hopefulness in “What’s Happening Brother”. Marvin wants to know what’s going on In his community and how things are impacting everyone. He seeks solace in other people. But his own issues get in the way when he suddenly CRASHES in depression in “Flyin High In a friendly sky”…indicating hopelessness and apathy. Struggling with his own problems and drug addiction

As he struggles with his own addictions he realizes that if he can’t find his own inner peace the only ones who can guarantee a greater future is the children. Which is illustrated in “Save The Children”.

Through seeing the hope of children he reaches a climax of joy and revelation in “God Is Love”. He puts his faith in God and sends off a prayer in “Mercy Mercy Me”

To me this is the climax of the album….at least in regards to his pondering of life. He wants to go back and deliver a message to the brothers he spoke to in his second track in “Right On”

At this point it seems as if Marvin is finished in his quest for answers. He sings “Wholy Holy” and to me it sounds like a completion of his existence and journey. Everything is complete….in a sense. He vents the frustrations of everyone in America in “Inner City Blues/Make Me Wanna Holler”. Letting people know he isn’t brushing our issues to the side. But simply revealing to everyone WHATS GOING ON…

One of the singles of the album “Sad Tomorrow’s” sounds like a plot twist to the entire piece of work. Truthfully it sounds like a suicidal letter. If Marvin couldn’t find hope in the children which brought him closer to God….Sad Tomorrow’s would have been his result and he probably would have killed himself. I like how it was “cleverly” planted at the end of the album instead of it being at the beginning….it’s like watching a movie and when you reach the ending you look for “alternate endings”

Anyway this is the GREATEST ALBUM to have ever blessed my ears and no one can tell me other wise. It’s an entire valley and mountain of emotions but like a mountain it is still planted in a firm foundation that is rational and understandable

When I first saw the title to this thread I immediately thought of What's Goin On. It might be the greatest album of all time.

Having said that, Sad Tommorrows isn't on the original version of the album. It ends with Inner City Blues, then an outro. I remember I discovered the album around 1994/5 and had it in my walkman for about a year. It was all I listened to.

Here's another album that will blow your mind

^^^^ This album is one of the greatest masterpieces of all time. It's by The Last Poets, an early rap group. Their earlier albums were just them rapping over congas, which can get monotonous. This album, At Last, is them rapping over Jazz, which has really never been done before and hasn't been done since. I remember I discovered At Last circa 1993/94 when Hip Hop was kinda in a slump. Everybody was a gangsta from Compton and there was a serious slump in the East Coast, this was pre-Illmatic and pre-Ready to Die.

So anyway, when I discovered At Last, it blew my mind because they were rapping about conscious things, but the music itself was Jazz, which is 1000X more complex than Hip Hop.

I had really lost interest in Hip Hop when I discovered this album and spent more time listening to John Coltrane and Miles Davis.

It probably wasn't until Illmatic, Midnight Marauders, Wu Tang and a few other East Coast acts that I started listening to Hip Hop again.

I strongly recommend smoking a blunt and listening to At Last and consider what I'm saying.

I Told You So- Chino XL. Came out on 9/11, where I was working at the time gave the option to leave if we didn't feel safe. I split to buy this album, felt like Xmas

Be

I always loved my city but at 21, Be really gave me tremendous pride. Com captured it like Bob Ross painting. It makes me wish I could have heard LW4C as an adult first verses as a teen

Illmatic
N.Y. State Of Mind might be the greatest rap song ever. To me. He set the scene for the rest of album. Set the standard for what an instant classic is. Those that knew....knew

Back