Welcome To aBlackWeb

MTV's Ananda Lewis Reveals She's Battling Stage 4 Cancer

It breaks my heart to see the relationship Black people have with science. I'm in a privileged position living with a scientist in a science hub in DMV, and I get with the history of the Tuskegee experiments why black folks don't trust science. But fuck it's super frustrating to watch and sad seeing Black folks get bamboozled by misinformation or getting poor medical/science advice.

It was hell during COVID to fight off my family for getting the vaccine when they were really sick
Yep I remember listening a black talk radio station out of DC and that was an issue with black folks,how we do not know how stuff works and how to get correct info

Religion is a major issue with Black people as well.

Most black people aren't part of those extreme religions that forbid medical treatment though. I think Jehovah's Witnesses are funny about doctors, and you have black people among their group, but that's a relatively small portion of the greater black religious population.

Most black people aren't part of those extreme religions that forbid medical treatment though. I think Jehovah's Witnesses are funny about doctors, and you have black people among their group, but that's a relatively small portion of the greater black religious population.
I'm from the South so I'm bias and speaking from my personal experience. The last time I went to my sister's church it legitimately felt like a cult. I was in shock how behind their thinking was. She spooked the fuck outta me.

I'm from the South so I'm bias and speaking from my personal experience. The last time I went to my sister's church it legitimately felt like a cult. I was in shock how behind their thinking was. She spooked the fuck outta me.

I won't deny that. I grew up in and went to church in the South, so I agree they are backwards. I'm still in the church, but one thing I've learned as I've gotten older is that a lot of that backwards shit ain't even Biblical. Some people just like being backwards, so they look for anything to justify it.

Interesting reading the different takes. I also grew up in a religious home but my family has always been pretty forward when it comes to health and science, my mom especially doesn't play about it.

I don't really have any family from the "south" so the contrast yall providing is crazy to me. Didn't realize it was like that.

I wonder if it's an accessibility/cost issue tho. Free healthcare makes it easy for me. I've spent my fair share of time in the hospital can't imagine having to pay or go into debt for some of this shit. Looking up at those costs must be daunting.

It's very common in the black community to not trust the government and science/medicine and trying to do the holistic shit. My own sister is refusing to get her kids any vaccines or medicine because of tik Tok videos and YouTube which is fucking terrifying
How does that work when there are required vaccines for kids in school? Or is her refusal not with those types?

Back