Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Mos Def: Drake Is Pop, Not Hip Hop

test
Lord Drake gonna get offended because he is not considered real hop by some purists. But we still gonna bump his music.

200w.gif

Mans has a song called Popstar. What’s the issue? Is he not a pop star? Hasn’t he been making the same Type of rap for years now? Damn near two decades doing this.

He doesn’t have an album better than Black On Both Sides.

Problem is that people don’t believe he’s a pop star. They think he on par with hardcore rap music and he not. He makes the same kind of safe rap music he been making.

Like when Jodeci freestyle didn’t come out on Take Care, that’s when I knew he was another dude who was just kept afloat because of the appeal as a pop star he has.

When he was caught not writing his own lyrics, and his career didn’t take a massive hit? That’s when it should’ve been clear he was a pop star.

Drake's music is hip hop. As much as "purists" may hate it...it is. Who cares if he doesn't have any albums in some minds as good as a Mos def album? That don't make him or anyone else less hip hop. That's a dumb ass standard. Mos just came off as the pretentious underground asshole and the reason alpt of fans get turned off to the type of music he makes. How you try to make a joke out of somebody making music people like. Ain't that the point? To make music people actually want to hear...same shit he tries to do.

I understand you're asked a question but there is no way to really give an honest opinion of Drake without it coming off like you're hating if you're just not showering him with praise

I would've just said "I don't have an opinion about Drake"

I understand you're asked a question but there is no way to really give an honest opinion of Drake without it coming off like you're hating if you're just not showering him with praise

I would've just said "I don't have an opinion about Drake"

Can just say "he's talented but I don't really listen to his shit". That simple. The hate comes in trying to downplay the obvious in that he is good at making music and he's a good rapper. Whether you actually like it is subjective.

Can just say "he's talented but I don't really listen to his shit". That simple. The hate comes in trying to downplay the obvious in that he is good at making music and he's a good rapper. Whether you actually like it is subjective.

It seems like this is only an issue with hip hop. I don’t get it

It seems like this is only an issue with hip hop. I don’t get it

No it's not.

You should see Country fans seek to define their genre.

The Hip Hop like Country, is a genre that is defined by it's authenticity to a particular experience that morphed into a cookie-cutter genre of music where anything goes as long as the most basic tenets of the genre is upheld.

For example, can't have a Country song without the twang. Can't have a Hip Hop song without "rapping".

The Shiny Suit Rap of the Bad Boy Era was Hip Hop at it's most commercial and expansive. Then the VA movement of Timbaland, Neptunes and Missy Elliot was Hip Hop at its most experimental.

Then here comes Drake who literally does different genres of music, yet wanting to be Hip Hop. How can you be a rapper if you doing shitty Afrobeats? How can you be a rapper when you doing shitty Dancehall?

Drake doesn't even do the other genres good enough. He's just a popular rapper that barely raps and when he gets called on to do traditional Hip Hop shit, he avoids it because it doesn't make business sense for him.

So how is Drake Hip Hop beyond rapping occasionally?

Drake is a Pop artist, and rapping has become part of the repertoire of a Pop artist. Even Michael Jackson and Prince rapped when they saw the writing on the wall of Hip Hop becoming the biggest genre in the world.

Back