Welcome To aBlackWeb

Morgan Freeman: "Term 'African American' & Black History Month are insults"

rip.dilla

Morgan Freeman has spoken out against Black History Month and the term “African-American” in a rare interview.

The actor, 85, who can currently be seen in Zach Braff’s film A Good Person, discussed race in the interview.

He told The Sunday Times’s Culture magazine: “Two things I can say publicly that I do not like. Black History Month is an insult. You’re going to relegate my history to a month?

“Also ‘African-American’ is an insult. I don’t subscribe to that title. Black people have had different titles all the way back to the n-word and I do not know how these things get such a grip, but everyone uses ‘African-American’.”

He continued: “What does it really mean? Most Black people in this part of the world are mongrels. And you say Africa as if it’s a country when it’s a continent, like Europe.”

His point seems to be that black people shouldn't be separated out the way we are. He's saying that we shouldn't have a Black history month. Black history should just be ingrained in the way history is taught and discussed in general. I don't think he's saying that connecting us to Africa is insulting. I think he's trying to say that tying us to some place else is an attempt to undermine our claim on America. Like white people in America are seldomly referred to as European American. They are just considered American. If race is brough up, they are white Americans. He believes it should be the same for us.

His point seems to be that black people shouldn't be separated out the way we are. He's saying that we shouldn't have a Black history month. Black history should just be ingrained in the way history is taught and discussed in general. I don't think he's saying that connecting us to Africa is insulting. I think he's trying to say that tying us to some place else is an attempt to undermine our claim on America. Like white people in America are seldomly referred to as European American. They are just considered American. If race is brough up, they are white Americans. He believes it should be the same for us.

Only in a perfect America, which we don't live in one. DeSantis is one person of many who are completely racist and will erase us to defend their beliefs. Erasing our ancestors and their beliefs and political beliefs when the situation has only morphed into more dire issues.

Only in a perfect America, which we don't live in one. DeSantis is one person of many who are completely racist and will erase us to defend their beliefs. Erasing our ancestors and their beliefs and political beliefs when the situation has only morphed into more dire issues.

Yes, I believe he's speaking of how things should be not how they are.

Black Americans should be considered as fundamentally American as white Americans. Especially, when you consider, ADOS have longer roots in America than a lot of white people in the country. A lot of the white people running around talking about the country is theirs come from people who immigrated here long after most of our ancestors were brought here.

After 800 years, you not from Africa lol.
It hasn't been 800 years. Most of us are from the mid 1700s and some during the 1800s during illegal slave trade.

Our genetics reflect also more of the evolutionary path of African than being in North America. So I really don't see your point unless you are talking about culture and language even then there is ebonics, voodun, cultural traits that we bring in, style of cooking and etc.

I can get behind that

Back