Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Michael Jackson Estate Sells Half of Catalog For $1.2 Billion

test
You will prolly hear MJ's music on commercials and things now...

From the outside it seems a good deal as its looks like most of the kids dont earn alot of money themselves, so this will prolly set them up for life and they can keep 50% of MJ's catalog...

It likely down to MJ's mother planning for the future too, insuring everything is taken care of when she passes...

Lol niggas will forever in the service of the others

Money comes and goes

U basically one bad deal, investment or a scam from losing everything

It’s about control that’s what MJ and Prince fought for and it’s slowly being chipped away from them

I really hear you but how many people just squander a billion? Can you even squander a billion. Nobody in his family is starving.

Jackson sold his best known (most valued) songs, Bad, Beat it..and deal included hundred others artist songs. I think deal is much lower than 600 million dollars.

Anyone knows why alot of artists are doing this?

Because music streaming has completely destroyed the value of a single artist owning their own catalog. They are getting pennies on the dollar.

Lol, I mean shit, Michael Jackson at his peak was making like $2 per album sold and was paying for videos and studio time out of his own pocket.

Music publishing is pretty much like holding stock.

An individual owning 10 shares of Disney isn't making that much money off owning the stock. They gotta pay fees, taxes, take losses.

An hedge fund with 10,000 shares of Disney is making a decent amount of money just by owning the shit, then they have the capital to diversify, pay employees to analyze the market and etc.

Which is why an individual investor holding singular stocks instead of investing in index funds almost always fucking loses.

Music publishing companies are index funds.

You can go on royaltyexchange.com and buy a catalog for as low as 20k. You can see how much a hit song or a catalog from even returns in a year, it isn't much. You'll still need a full-time job.

Long story short, artists sell their catalog because they don't have the capital, scale and expertise to properly administer it to its fullest potential.

I'm a fan. Though I'm not all that attached to the person. MJ is a mysterious person. Though I'll always wonder how he saw himself in relation to black people considering he choose to adopt three white children and leave his legacy in their hands.

You aint gotta wonder. He said he was proud to be a black man right out his own mouth

Back