Welcome To aBlackWeb

Metal Gear Solid 2: A Retrospect

How did you feel about Metal Gear Solid 2?

• Hated it.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Loved it.

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters

Benjamin E

While strolling down memory lane (as I often do), I came across two wildly different articles about the release of Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2.

This Kotaku article shovelling heaps of praise upon the much hyped sequel...

https://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-2-was-a-twisted-experiment-in-mind-con-1785833195

... and this Vice article expressing the author's exasperation, frustration and dissappointment, ultimately damning the game to Bolivia...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...s-the-game-that-stopped-me-being-a-fanboy-220

I remember my own personal sentiments falling somewhere in the middle but leaning closer the the Vice article for similar reasons.

Where do you fall on the hate-it-or-love-it spectrum?

Always thought it was underrated. The story and gameplay was classic metal gear solid. The sequence of events with fatman & the bombs is one of my favorites in the series.

Check the S/N.

Love this game, but I did hate all the long ass cut scenes. Especially towards the end, it did feel like you were watching a movie than playing a video game.

Last edited:
I loved them incorporating first person shooting aim and the story didnt disappoint at all my only issue was it being repetitive and lack of diff 'levels'.

The game looked basically the same throughout from beginning to end from what i remember.

i dont think i ever beat this one

but yea, for some reason, i didnt get into this one like the first one

probably the long ass cut scenes

I was too young playing this, I know a gang of it went over my head. Great game, I was disappointing in Raiden but got over it quickly.
Phil Lamarr one of the GOAT voice actors

I'm one of those guys beating the first in like 30 or 60 minutes, but I don't remember the second game that well. I did beat the second game, so I must have enjoyed it. Don't think I played it as much as the first. However, I do remember disliking the transition to Raiden and the "cyborg ninja" knock off.

Cut scene was way too long but this is my favorite game. Kinda wish they would remaster this for PS4 so I called replay it.

Wish they do that too.

I had this joint

220px-MGS_HD_NA_Boxart_X360.jpg

for PS3 it was cool but didn't quite feel like the PS2 one. What sucked was I had one of the og PS3 that had backwards capabilities but that shit went out on me like 2/3 years after I got it.

Ya'll should read that article that @Achewon87 posted. It's crazy how much the game predicted and how relevant it is today.

As for the game, there were a few things I can remember standing out to me, but mainly the mindfuck of it all.

Things like the fake game over screens during boss battles while your boss and girl blowing up your line.

Raiden was cool to play as, but I remember expecting to switch back to Snake and it never happening.

I'm pretty sure the previews had fake game footage showing Snake throughout.

And long ass cutscene after long ass cutscene toward the end was something I wasn't used to, and I don't remember too much of the story...

It was a good game but it’s my least favorite out of all of em. I can remember going back to the other ones and replaying them multiple times. With MGS2 once I beat it that was it.

Back