Welcome To aBlackWeb

MoeW

1700104175000.jpeg

Twenty years after their notorious tabloid romance gripped the nation, a married couple buckles under the pressure when an actress arrives to do research for a film about their past.​

May/December

Immoral Imitation

PRAISE: This movie is definitely loosely based on Mary Kay Letourneau who was a sex offender and teacher who pleaded guilty in 1997 to two counts of felony second-degree rape of a child. The child, Vili Fualaau, was 12 years oldNatalie Portman is very good as Elizabeth Berry
an actress shadowing and slowly but surely absorbing Gracie Atherton (Julianne Moore) who like
Letourneau was jailed but maintained a relationship with Fualaau and had children with him.Elizabeth attempts to get to the core of who Gracie is and was.Theres a coldness and predatory way about her which drew me into her character as she pushes things to the limit for
Her upcoming movie role as Gracie. Moore also does a great job as Gracie . She's used to all of the disgrace,disgusting threats she's received over the years but she's still very fragile at times.
As Joe Charles Melton does a terrific job as a man who had to grow up fast because of the choices he made as a child. He's a mix of maturity and immaturity and I thought this played out well in his various scenes with Moore who in a way still treats him like a child giving him little errands and slightly scolding him at times.He does chafe at having to be a pillar of strength for Gracie.Cory Michael Smith (completely didnt recognize him from his former role as The Riddler in Gotham) is great as Georgie, Gracies first born son he is the embodiment of how the family was effected by his mother's affair. Director Todd Haynes and writers Samy Burch and Alex Mechanik do a great job of showing the repercussions of what happens to the family members of two people who had such a highly Immoral affair.

PROBLEMS: There are a couple of things the movie touches on and I really wish they had been explored more because I think it would have brought out more of how unsure a character was.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

Just finished watching this. Very uncomfortable film but I liked it. Natalie Portman's character was definitely dedicated to the role of playing a woman who has an affair with a child. Everyone's life is severely affected by what happened including the 2 people at the center of it even if they'd like you to believe that everything is fine. Melton just does a great job displaying stolen innocence

Back