Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Marriage poll: How y’all do it with last names?

How important is your last name?

• Total voters
Fellas do you care if she takes your last name or wants to hyphenate it? What if she wants to keep hers by hyphenate the kids?

Ladies do you assume you will take his last name? Is a discussion had before them y’all jump the broom?

Also I know we got a few folks from outside the US and that Latin cultures do last names differently does that play into as well?

not gonna lie, i was a stickler for this until one day Lea and I were having a convo and she made a lot of since about some things we talked about

since then, i adopted the approach that whatever my s/o wanted her last name to be, i would support that and in fact, i would be in favor of hyphenating the kids last names. I believe this is done in hispanic culture iirc. So that would be a way for the kids to always have both families lineage represented

Dealbreaker.

She doesn't take my last name.........we're not getting married.

Thing is, her not taking my last name might not necessarily be a problem.

It'd be whatever her reasoning would be for not taking my last name.

If she doesn't give me a reason that makes sense......and I think she's making stuff up to cover up the real reason...........then marriage is off the table.

not gonna lie, i was a stickler for this until one day Lea and I were having a convo and she made a lot of since about some things we talked about

since then, i adopted the approach that whatever my s/o wanted her last name to be, i would support that and in fact, i would be in favor of hyphenating the kids last names. I believe this is done in hispanic culture iirc. So that would be a way for the kids to always have both families lineage represented
Sense

She taking my last name. Nothing else to it.
Her maiden name gets hyphenated with her middle name.

I'd be irked but I wouldnt make a big deal out of it.

At most, I may joke about it everytime it comes up

Hyphenated kids name is a no go. One or the other

My last name has significance historically so it was almost a no brainer on her taking my last name.

I'm simple.

If you not gonna take my name, we not getting married.

I don't like half measures. Either you fully committed or you ain't. Ether you jumping off the bridge or you not. Marriage in my opinion is too delicate for in decision on certain shit. And the name is one of them

She ain’t gotten around to changing with the SSA but she will. Wouldn’t particularly care if she didn’t.

My kids having my last name and mine alone was non-negotiable though.

My wife has her last name hyphenated, and it has to be this way.

She has pride in her fam, and I respect that. At the same time, We coming together, so we need to be on the same page.

At long as she knows any kids is having my name, period.

long time lurker rare poster, I gotta say...imagine not marrying someone just because of this lol

i'm stuck between simply not believing it, and thinking that yall need some big time fucking therapy
Welcome rare poster

Relationships need too many working parts...

I attach taking my name to full commitment. Refusal to take my name would create doubt.

I ain't marrying anyone I have doubts about.

Raised Muslim, and it is Muslim tradition for the woman to keep her last name so she can preserve her heritage.
If she wants to take my last name I am happy to give it, but it doesn't matter to me.

that’s dope don’t want to sound like a white liberal but I think outsiders tend to mix Muslim religion with Arab culture. Most people would think women wouldn’t be able to do that

Back