Welcome To aBlackWeb

Netflix Maestro

I'm starting to get what the appeal of Kanye going full Kanye might have been like in a fleeting moment.

Maestro

Music Master

PRAISE : Having watched West Side Story multiple times back in the day I was definitely familiar with the music of legendary composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein. Bradley Coopers Maestro is not only a tribute to Bernstein but his wife Felicia Montealegre ,and the music and entertainment of the time periods covered in the movie. I think Cooper and co writer Josh Singer capture Bernsteins love for music, his struggles with being bisexual ,wanting it all and trying to be discreet and protective. Cooper is great as Bernstein really losing himself in and embracing the role. I could really tell he did his homework on Bernstein.
Carey Mulligan turns in a terrific person as Montealegre.The joy and pain of being with Bernstein is written all over her face. In some standout scenes she attempts to ignore certain things going on around her, trying to ignore one particular person as respect for her and her relationship with Bernstein is slowly but surely pushed out of the picture. Her rationalizing over some of Bernsteins actions was well done.
Coopers blending of scenes are done nicely. There's a really great scene that truly shows joy and pain simultaneously happening. I found a lot of dramatic moments to be extremely effective. They really ring true .

PROBLEMS: There is a scene that I wish Cooper had shot differently, made it more up close and personal because it was a build up to what was coming.
Some scenes are overdone. Part of it is in the nineteen forties part of the film. The others are connected to the last thirty minutes of the film,which felt like Oscar bait and then some.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Back