Welcome To aBlackWeb

Licorice Pizza

Ahh to be young and in love

PRAISE : Set in the early 1970s this love story has all of the ups and downs of a is you is or is you ain't my baby relationship. Alana Haim as Alana and Cooper Hoffman as Gary (son of the late great Phillip Seymour Hoffman) are not only great in the film but have great chemistry.
I loved the dynamic between them and watching every phase of their relationship. Alana's family dynamic explained a lot about her and at times was hilarious. Gary is extremely mature and determined as a 15 year old who knows how to hustle once one door closes in his life,which is part of 25 year old Alana's attraction to him.
I know some people had a problem with the age difference saying if the roles were reversed this movie would have never been made. But there is absolutely NO grooming or predatory behavior in this movie. Rather its a great love story about seeing someone for who they are : sincere,genuine and caring and why you can't let them go.
They are supported by fellow cast members: Bradley Cooper as a manic and intense Jon Peter's . Sean Penn as a William Holden like actor plus Tom Waits and Benny Safdie.
Director/Writer Paul Thomas Anderson truly captures the atmosphere of the 70s from radio to film production and the crisis from that era.

PROBLEMS: Some scenes were to dwelling and some went absolutely nowhere and just felt like filler.There's a very cringey stereotypical scene.

Scale of 1 to 10 8½

Back