Welcome To aBlackWeb

Let's Talk About Bleaching/Fade Cream

Remedy

Doper Than Coke
Ok, ladies, I know the subject of bleaching is taboo and most times frowned upon in our community. However, I'm not talking about bleaching yourself to the point of changing your natural shade. I'm referring to those situations when you want to rid your skin of discolorations and even out your skin tone.

Recently I had a break out on my face during that time of the month, now I've had breakouts before but they usually clear up without any scaring. This time, however, I was left with some. It's not terribly noticeable to the point where I want to cover my face, but I notice it. I've been using my usual Palmer's cocoa butter and Shea Moisture's Black Soap, but they don't seem to be fading.

So of course, I went to youtube (Lol) for the answers! I saw all kinds of natural remedies using ingredients such as honey, baking soda, turmeric, lemons, tomatoes, and so on. That lead to watching videos on something called Kojie San Soap.

5192%2BmIJ8wL.jpg

Yall know how they do on youtube with making stuff sound like the holy grail, but it peaked my interest so I looked it up. It seems the main ingredient of the soap is Kojic Acid, which sounds horrifying. I'm not trying to have my face melt off on my pillow in my sleep.

Kojic acid is a chemical produced from different types of fungi. It is also a by-product of fermented soy sauce and rice wine.

Kojic acid is sometimes used in the food industry as a natural preservative. One of the main uses of kojic acid, however, is in some health and cosmetic products.
The science behind how kojic acid works as a lightening agent involves its effect on melanin production.

Melanin is a naturally occurring pigment in the body that gives the eyes, hair, and skin their color. An amino acid called tyrosine is needed to support the production of melanin.

Kojic acid works by blocking tyrosine from forming, which then prevents melanin production. Decreased melanin production may have a lightening effect on the skin.
Click For More on Kojic Acid

I don't know if I want to try this or not. I think I'll give some of the natural remedies a try before jumping in. I remember back in the day my mom used to always have a bent up tube of the Ambi Fade Cream. I don't even see that shit in the stores around here anymore lol.
Photo 2013-03-026.jpg

So ladies, what are your thoughts, tips, and suggestions on bleaching/fade creams. Got any natural remedies? What do you do to combat skin discoloration? Be it for acne scars or darkening of knees, elbows, underarms, whatever.
thumbnail_000.jpg

Honestly I've never used any of these type creams so I am not much help. I am interested though as my skin is changing. I'm noticing more small dark spots around the sides of my face smh

I’ve used palmers fade cream and got wonderful results.

Apple cider vinegar has helped me get rid of some dark spots.

Black soap has worked the best but you gotta be patient.

Yes! Just gotta careful with store brand black soap, I heard organic is best

Bleaching isn't the most effective or healthy way to even out skintone. Better off with a retinol or retinoid. For milder discoloration, a solid vitamin c serum will work.

I use this: http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-vitamin-c-suspension-23pct-ha-spheres-2pct-30ml but they have others. they also have granactive retinoids (milder than retinol) but retinol is what dermatologists usually prescribe or suggest for unevenness. helps with anti-ageing too.

if you use any of these products though, the rule of thumb is that products which are strong enough to even out your skintone are usually also making your skin more sensitive to the sun. so you gotta wear a good sunscreen in tandem with it.

Funny thing is I just let my marks and scars be. I have some blemishes right as we speak but they dont bother me. I really like this thread and learned a lot. Thanks Rem

Back