Welcome To aBlackWeb

Kool Herc, Grandmaster FLash, Grandwizard Theodore, Afrika Bambaattaa

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
I didn't make this myself but I thought I'd share it.

For those that don't know

1. Kool Herc was the 1st Hip Hop DJ. There were DJs before Here but they played the whole song. Herc would just play the part of the song with the beat and when the vocals were supposed to come in, he'd start the break over again. Also, Herc had a massive sound system. He could play outdoors in the parks and people would hear him from blocks away.

2. Grandmaster Flash improved on what Herc was doing. Rather than pick up the needle from the record player and start the record over again, Flash invented a method of backspinning the record (using your hand to play the record backwards) and counting how many revolutions the record made. This enabled him to mix the record on beat rather than guessing where the break started. He called that the Merry-Go-Round or the Peek-A-Boo.

3. Grandwizard Theodore invented scratching. He was an adolescent and he learned how to DJ from Grandmaster Flash, who hung out with his older brothers. One day he was practicing with his turntables with his headphones on. His mother started yelling at him to turn the music down. With one ear on the headphones and the other ear had the headphones off he could hear his mother yelling at him, but he was scratching the record back and forth and he thought it sounded dope. Eventually he practiced until it sounded good enough to do at a party.

4. Afrika Bambaattaa was a gang leader turned activist (turned pedophile). Regardless of his sex crimes, Bambaattaa was known for finding rare, obscure records that nobody had heard. Most of the DJs in The Bronx would go to the local record stores to buy the latest records. Bam would go downtown to the Village to look for records that the stores in his neighborhood didn't carry. As a result, all the other DJs were playing the same songs to get the party started while Bam was playing stuff that nobody had heard before. According to Grandmaster Caz, Bambaattaa was the only DJ in The Bronx that had Impeach The President by The Honeydrippers.

Mt Rushmore of DJs copy.jpg

Afrika Bambaattaa is a child predator

I agree, but he still helped build Hip Hop.

You can be condemned for being a child molester and still get recognition for being a pioneer of Hip Hop imo.

Slick Rick shot his cousin and led the police on a car chase, but he's still a dope MC.

Back