Papa's Got A Brand New Bag
I'm Black & I'm Proud

vs

Marvin Gaye

Notable Hits

Let's Get It On
What's Going On
Sexual Healing

James Brown has far more material than Marvin Gaye. Just between 1971-1973 James Brown released 9 albums, while his band, The J.B.s released another two albums. And one of his background singers, Lyn Collins, released a solo album featuring the classic Think, which features the drum break that Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock used for It Takes Two.

If we're talking about who had a bigger influence it's James Brown. He created a new genre of music in which the drum beats were slower and more syncopated than the music that Motown was putting out. That syncopated drumbeat is best exemplified by the classic song Funky Drummer, which wasn't even released on an album. In fact, you could make a double CD of songs by James Brown that people sampled in the mid-to-late 80s.

Having said that, Marvin Gaye had a better voice and is responsible for the greatest album I've ever heard, What's Goin On

I voted for Marvin

James Brown

Notable Hits

I Got The Feeling
Papa's Got A Brand New Bag
I'm Black & I'm Proud

vs

Marvin Gaye

Notable Hits

Let's Get It On
What's Going On
Sexual Healing

Although I voted for Marvin, you could have listed some better songs by James Brown under Notable Hits

The Payback
Get Up, Get Into It, Get Involved
King Heroin

^^^ Those are the songs I would have picked

Marvin is the king of R&B. Dude touched on so much subject matter. Got albums for the streets, the ladies, the parties. Shit, Here My Dear was Confessions over 30 years before it became a thing to put that type of vibe on wax. He was ahead of his time. Damn shame he left this earth so soon.

Marvin is the king of R&B. Dude touched on so much subject matter. Got albums for the streets, the ladies, the parties. Shit, Here My Dear was Confessions over 30 years before it became a thing to put that type of vibe on wax. He was ahead of his time. Damn shame he left this earth so soon.
yeah , but just wait till he's up against Usher. Niggas gone be saying " marvin cool, but U got it Bad got me through my breakup" just watch:smh:

Last edited:
Really just came down to who is the oldest, most memorable, black people's soul music making nigga King.

...but anyway idk any JB songs word for word, excluding the hooks, so Ima ride with Marvin. No disrespect to James Brown. He is the Godfather of Soul.

@Goldie

If you do a best R&B group tournament, make a distinction between bands vs groups. I remember a while back you said the Stylistics were better than Kool & The Gang. But Kool & The Gang wrote their own songs and played their own instruments. The Stylistics were basically a boy band. They danced on stage and sang music that other people wrote and produced. It's not the same thing. It's like comparing The Roots to Destiny's Child.

One of y’all here or on the IC put me on to Here My Dear years ago. I’d never heard it before. One of my favorite albums. Like @grYmes said this was Confessions before Confessions. Anyways my favorite song on that album has to be I Met A Little Girl. Shit even my kids love it I play it so much.

James Brown created two subgenres (Soul and Funk). He has 17 #1 singles and has the record for most singles EVER on the Billboard Hot 100 to not make number 1 for ANY genre, not just R&B. He is one of the first artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Not only are his list of songs incredibly long, James Brown may also be the most sampled artist in the history of ANY genre. Some of them...

2 Live Crew: “Coolin’ “
Beastie Boys: “Shadrach”
Big Daddy Kane: “Mortal Combat”
De La Soul: “Oodles of O’s”
Depeche Mode: “My Joy”
Digable Planets: “Where I’m From”
DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince: “Pump Up the Bass”
Dr. Dre: “Let Me Ride”
Enigma: “Carly’s Song”
Eric B & Rakim: “Paid in Full”
Fine Young Cannibals: “I’m Not the Man I Used to Be”
GangStarr: “2 Deep”
George Michael: “Waiting for That Day”
Geto Boys: “Mind of a Lunatic”
Heavy D: “We Got Our Own Thang”
Ice Cube: “Endangered Species”
Ice T: “Original Gangster”
Kris Kross: “Jump”
Leaders of the New School: “Teachers, Don’t Teach Us Nonsense”
LL Cool J: “Mama Said Knock You Out”
Marky Mark: “Good Vibrations”
MC Lyte: “Brooklyn”
Milli Vanilli: “Girl You Know It’s True”
Mobb Deep: “Flavor for the Non-Believes”
Nas: “Get Down”
Naughty by Nature: “Ready for Dem”
New Order: “Ruined in a Day”
Nine Inch Nails: “Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)”
NWA: “F–k Tha Police”
Pete Rock & CL Smooth: “Go With the Flow”
Prince: “Gett Off”, “My Name Is Prince”
Public Enemy: “Bring the Noise”, “Fight the Power”
Redman: “Rated R”
Roxanne Shante: “Have a Nice Day”
Run-DMC: “Run’s House”
Salt-N-Pepa: “Let the Rhythm Run”
Scarface: “Born Killer”
Sinead O’Connor: “I Am Stretched on Your Grave”
Sir Mix-A-Lot: “No Holds Barred”
Slayer & Atari Teenage Riot: “No Remorse (I Wanna Die)”
Sublime: “Scarlet Begonias”
TLC: “Shock Dat Monkey”
Tupac ft Richie Rich: “Lie to Kick It”
Ultramagnetic MC: “Give the Drummer Some”
Vanilla Ice: “Stop That Train”

There are many more than this.

Marvin Gaye was an amazing artist. Marvin Gaye had a superior singing voice, but Marvin Gaye himself would laugh at this poll.

Needless to say both are undoubtedly legends.Classics for days

But going with James this go around
Not just an artist.
But one the greatest R&B writers and producers of all time
his sound influenced the creation of hip hop and we're still benefiting off of it...

Last edited:
Godfather.

He gave us too much.

I mean I don't have to go any further than a young MJ looking at him with pure admiration. His influence stretches too wide...

This is a man's world nigga, sit down you girl niggaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back