Welcome To aBlackWeb

Kevin Garnett Defrauded Out Of 77 Million Dollars

Chi-Town B

Mod Squad

Former Timberwolves star Kevin Garnett, once the NBA’s top-paid player, claims in a lawsuit that an accountant and his firm helped a now-imprisoned wealth manager steal $77 million from him.

The federal malpractice lawsuit alleges that Kentucky-based accountant Michael Wertheim and Welenken CPAs knowingly helped Charles A. Banks IV to defraud Garnett over several years through business ventures in which Garnett and Banks shared an interest.

Wertheim “possessed actual knowledge that Banks was helping himself to millions of dollars of Garnett’s money and did nothing about it,” according to the suit, which was moved Wednesday from Hennepin County District Court to U.S. District Court in Minneapolis.

“Banks intentionally … looted Garnett of his earnings and assets for many years, including the many years that Welenken and Wertheim provided accounting services to Garnett and his business interests.”

Defense attorney Greg Simpson said his clients “intend to vigorously defend themselves against the allegations, deny any wrongdoing and believe the suit lacks merit. They will be moving to dismiss it at an early stage.”

Garnett’s attorney, Mark Gaughan, would only say that “based upon the facts, we are confident this matter ultimately will be resolved in Mr. Garnett’s favor.”

aughan declined to say why Banks was not named as a defendant in the federal suit. However, Banks is being sued in Hennepin County by Hammer Holdings, a company that counted Banks and Garnett as partners and that Banks allegedly used to steal from Garnett.

Zeroing in on Wertheim’s alleged misdeeds, the suit said he “took direction from Banks and for some reason chose to have virtually no contact with Garnett.”

The suit said Wertheim prepared financial statements, was a registered agent for companies in which Garnett held a financial interest, and added his name to bank accounts holding Garnett’s money.

White people always finesse black athletes out of money smh. 77m's damn... how much did Tim Duncan get finesse for?

Tim Duncan got got for about 20 million but the guy in the story got him for 6 million......he is currently serving 4 years prison time

Last edited:
This why i never got on the bandwagon habit of saying calling famous people savvy investors or good venture capitalists. Their business plans are only as good as the people they trust to run them or make shit happen. They're not the ones researching or checking numbers, they just wanna hear they're making money. So if at any point someone lies to them, they wont know till it's too late. This is how everyone usually falls victim on the MSNBC series American Greed.

This why we should teach our youth, that when you see stories of so and so athlete or rapper made x amount investing in w/e company or start up, the athlete or rapper isnt smart for doing that, they person he hired to do that, was the smart one.

giphy.gif

This why i never got on the bandwagon habit of saying calling famous people savvy investors or good venture capitalists. Their business plans are only as good as the people they trust to run them or make shit happen. They're not the ones researching or checking numbers, they just wanna hear they're making money. So if at any point someone lies to them, they wont know till it's too late. This is how everyone usually falls victim on the MSNBC series American Greed.

This why we should teach our youth, that when you see stories of so and so athlete or rapper made x amount investing in w/e company or start up, the athlete or rapper isnt smart for doing that, they person he hired to do that, was the smart one.
I say the same shit....but I'm called a hater for it.

Facts. I think these dudes need to take some classes on this before shit like this happens.
classes wont stop this...

educating themselves will stop this.....
alot of these dudes dont care about they loot until the need it.
they think the train will last forever.

alot of them i bet dont know what they invested in....they just liking the game and like seeing falsified paperwork

Its not just strangers. Remember that Latina star Selena? Her own cousin ripped her off. And when Selena found out about it the cousin killed Selena.

Back