Welcome To aBlackWeb

Julius Erving and Allen Iverson sign on to Ice Cube’s BIG3 Basketball League

Race Jones

gangster. grace. alchemy
Erving has signed on to coach one of the eight franchises in three-on-three league The BIG3, whose season begins June 25 at Barclays Center. He joins a league of other team leaders that includes Allen Iverson, Charles Oakley, Gary Payton, George Gervin, Clyde Drexler, Rick Barry, and Rick Mahorn. Inevitably facing A.I., Erving (who led the Sixers to their last championship) will pit his team against fellow Hall of Famer Philly’s biggest name of the ’90s and 2000s. A.I. will be among the league’s player-coaches.

“This is an extraordinary moment for BIG3. In securing Dr. J as a coach, we have brought on one of the most iconic basketball players in history. I cannot wait to see him coach these basketball legends,” Cube said in a statement.

Since retiring in 1987, Dr. J earned his bachelors degree from the University of Massachusetts (where he also studied in 1968-1971). He’s owned a soft drink bottling plant in Philadelphia. While Erving did not coach in the NBA, he was previously involved in the front office of the Orlando Magic. He remains the sixth highest all-time scorer in NBA history.

Hall Of Fame inductee Allen Iverson will play as well as coach one of the eight teams. Each team consists of five players, which now also include a pool featuring Chauncey Billups, Mike Bibby, Bonzi Wells, George Gervin and Stephen Jackson.

Back