Jay-Z Sues Company For Using His Lyrics and Name For Children's Book

Goldie

and Baka's got a weird case, why is he around??
Site Owner
Jan 14, 2017
The Burbs
The Little Homie, a small Australian online retailer, says it is celebrating hip-hop. Jay-Z, who has spoken out about black identity and equality, says it is engaging in theft.

SYDNEY, Australia — When the children’s alphabet book “A B to Jay-Z” was released by a small Australian online retailer more than two years ago, the company said it sold out within days. But it also drew criticism on social media as a particularly cringe-worthy example of cultural appropriation.
The book, the creation of a company calling itself the Little Homie, featured likenesses of hip-hop artists in the hope of inspiring, as the retailer put it, “the next generation of hood rats.” And it borrowed from famous lyrics, including one of Jay-Z’s: “If you’re having alphabet problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my ABCs ain’t one.”
The Little Homie says this was all in celebration of hip-hop. Jay-Z, who has spoken out about black identity and equality, says it was theft.
Jay-Z has now sued the company, alleging trademark and copyright infringement. The use of his name, likeness and references to “99 problems” in the book and other Little Homie products is “a deliberate and knowing attempt to trade off the reputation and good will” of the rapper, and uses his intellectual property “for their own commercial gain,” according to his complaint.

Another vulture trying to make a dollar off of Black American Culture
source.gif

lol at the thought of jay-z being pissed about stealing his lines after he spent decades stealing big's rhymes. gthfohwtbs
In a new documentary about Notorious B.I.G., music lovers will see the intimacies of the late rapper's friendship with JAY-Z.

"Christopher and Jay, they're a different relationship," Biggie's mother Voletta Wallace told ABC News. "They're very good friends."

Wallace, 64, is featured in the two-part A&E documentary, "Biggie: The Life of Notorious B.I.G.," which premieres tonight at 8 p.m. ET. It centers on Christopher "Biggie" Wallace's legacy and impact on hip-hop culture. His widow, singer Faith Evans, and rapper Lil Cease, are also featured in the first biography authorized by his estate.

"So usually I just [say], 'Get JAY for me, this is what they want to do.' And he was always there," Wallace continued.

Wallace said JAY-Z was one of her son's biggest supporters, who was always willing to go the extra mile for him. In fact, the rapper always made himself available to honor his friend -- even with his new twins on the way.

JAY-Z and his wife Beyonce welcomed twins Rumi and Sir Carter in June. They're also parents to a 5-year-old daughter named Blue Ivy.

Wallace said initially the media mogul's involvement "was a little iffy, but when it comes to Christopher he will...say yes."