Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Jadakiss Spinoff Thread. Can You Be A Top 5 Or Top 10 Rapper with no Classic Albums?

Lion_Heart

Yeah I know another one but hear me out. But as the title says can you be considered a top 5 or top 10 rapper with no classic albums?

His voice, his flow , his classic features and his lyrical content makes him top 10 to me.

Nas- Illmatic, It was written, Stillmatic, Lost tapes
Prodigy The infamous, Hell On Earth, Murda Muzik, Hnic
Pac Me against the world, all eyez on me, makaveli
Biggie Ready or die, life after death
Scarface Scarface is back , The Diary
Ice Cube 2
AZ 1
Ghostface 3
DMX 2
Jadakiss 1 (money power respect) is a classic

Last edited:
Why hard for elite emcees?
some of the most elite emcees have a hard time using their lyrical prowess to craft great records. Yes, they're super skilled but sometimes it doesnt translate into songs that touch your soul. It's not a rule but it happens a lot. Got bars for days but they have a ceiling. Obviously, what makes the great "great" is that they can actually make great records too (ie: Nas, Hov...)

im kinda in the middle with this one cuz i feel like having classic albums helps push that argument of the artist being top 5 or top 10 rapper cuz thats atleast the core of what we basing it on

Melle Mel is a top 5-10 rapper and he doesn't have a classic album, although in his day it was a singles game. Rappers/groups would release a 12" single and 6 months later they'd release another single. Most rappers didn't have albums.

In the early 80s the best MCs were Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee and Grandmaster Caz. Also Kurtis Blow and Spoonie G. That would be my top 5 from 79-85. Sha Rock and Lisa Lee were the best female MCs. The best groups were Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5, The Treacherous Three, The Crash Crew, Fearless Four, Cold Crush and a few other groups. This was a lil before Run DMC. Kurtis Blow and Melle Mel would release some albums but labels weren't ready to make big budget albums and hire producers, so most of the early rap albums are subpar.

Anyway, Melle Mel in particular has a lot of 12" singles from the early to mid 80s, but he doesn't really have a classic album. None of them do.

To answer the question, it depends on the era.

Nowadays you can make an album in your bedroom so there's no excuse for not having, at least a 5 mic mixtape.

Back in the 80s you really had to go to a recording studio to make a record, so you needed a record label to provide a budget and producers. And somebody had to pay to have the record/tape/CD mass produced. You couldn't really make an album in somebody's house or apartment. As a result there were less albums than there are now.

Now anybody can make an album in their bedroom and that's the problem.

All you really need is a computer and some software, there's no reason not to have a classic album if you came out after 2000.

Before 2000 I could understand if you just didn't have the right backing, maybe your album sounds unpolished and sloppy.

Anybody in the last 20 years should have a classic.

Back