Welcome To aBlackWeb

Jackie MacMullan - NBA Players Are Property

I've seen people try to compare professional athletes to slavery, which is absurd.

I mean, yeah the team owns you for x amount of years, but the players get paid astronomical salaries that put them in the top 1%.

I think it's fair, if you're good enough to play on a professional level. For the sake of argument, let's say your not a super star, just a regular player that gets, say, 12 points per game, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 0.5 steals and 0.5 blocked shots. A player like that can sign a $50 Million contract, which is enough to be set for the rest of your life after your career is over. You can set up trust funds for your kids, siblings, cousins, etc.

So yeah, the team owns you while you're under contract, but you're getting paid so much money that comparing it to slavery is nonsense.

I seen this shit yesterday on another site. Jackie either showed her true colors or did a super poor job of conveying what see was trying to say. She is a veteran journalist and has been covering the NBA with all these young black men as it's workforce so she should know better.

This shit is really making me side eye her ass.......

I seen this shit yesterday on another site. Jackie either showed her true colors or did a super poor job of conveying what see was trying to say. She is a veteran journalist and has been covering the NBA with all these young black men as it's workforce so she should know better.

Yeah I can't call it but it irritated me.

Yeah I can't call it but it irritated me.

I mean it's a bunch of different ways she could've gotten her point across.

She could've easily just pointed out just like any profession the corporation picks if they want to hire (and even fire) you for the job. Just because you are qualified or over qualified for a position doesn't automatically mean you will get hired. That's a way easier analogy. I mean she could've pointed out how some jobs due to it's sensitive nature does have the employee sign agreements that it's certain things the employee can't publicly speak on while in their uniform or period. She totally showed her true colors or insensitivity with her statements, man.........

I'm surprised Kyrie didn't ask her if she was the Boston Globe or ESPN's property because they pay her?

So is Jackie the property of whatever company she works for? Or does this only apply to NBA players?

Can Jackie decide to take a sick day? A well being day? Holidays? Decide when to get pregnant (i know she old as shit just saying) and when to take maternity leave or will she allow her company to make all them decisions for her?

Calling any person the property of anyone else is wrong as fuck, but calling a black man someones property multiplies that by 100.

I've seen people try to compare professional athletes to slavery, which is absurd.

I mean, yeah the team owns you for x amount of years, but the players get paid astronomical salaries that put them in the top 1%.

I think it's fair, if you're good enough to play on a professional level. For the sake of argument, let's say your not a super star, just a regular player that gets, say, 12 points per game, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 0.5 steals and 0.5 blocked shots. A player like that can sign a $50 Million contract, which is enough to be set for the rest of your life after your career is over. You can set up trust funds for your kids, siblings, cousins, etc.

So yeah, the team owns you while you're under contract, but you're getting paid so much money that comparing it to slavery is nonsense.
I think it was chris rock saying nba players are high paid slaves or something like that

Jackie MacMullan is one of the world’s best sportswriters and has covered a Black league in the NBA for decades. As a woman working in a male-dominated industry, you would think she would have a good grasp on the diminished role minorities have historically played in sports

You thought wrong.

Recently, we found out that not only does MacMullan not understand it, but that she believes that Kyrie Irving and other Black, and white, players in the NBA are “property.” This is the verbiage of a “Karen.”

I said fuck her ever since 2 years ago when she disrespected the squad

idc for her “stellar” work back in the day get this old bitch outta here

Back