Welcome To aBlackWeb

IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

What would you like to see in IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Old Man Cain how is it being in project management? I’m asking because I’m already thinking about getting another certification when I get the azure certification soon. Was also curious about getting the PMP certification
PM is cool man but it can be aggravating because you have so many moving parts that you have to stay on top of. I handle multi-million dollar projects daily and i am responsible for budgets, material, engineering and the contractors who will be working the projects. That shit is stressful if one of those things go left so you have to have great time mgmt skills and know how to talk to people.

I'm going to sign up for class here in the city in the fall and get my PMP. I have a leg up on a lot of people because I am already a PM with years under my belt I just don't have the cert that will guarantee high 6 figure money. I do pretty well now but the cert changes the game especially if you have a IT cert(s) plus your PMP.....niggggga that's 165-200k

PM is cool man but it can be aggravating because you have so many moving parts that you have to stay on top of. I handle multi-million dollar projects daily and i am responsible for budgets, material, engineering and the contractors who will be working the projects. That shit is stressful if one of those things go left so you have to have great time mgmt skills and know how to talk to people.

I'm going to sign up for class here in the city in the fall and get my PMP. I have a leg up on a lot of people because I am already a PM with years under my belt I just don't have the cert that will guarantee high 6 figure money. I do pretty well now but the cert changes the game especially if you have a IT cert(s) plus your PMP.....niggggga that's 165-200k

So if I were you get the pmp certification, I’d need to log in hours or something? You have plenty of experience so you wouldn’t have to do that

in this area a PMP is 160k with all the contracts in the area but it aint an easy job. Morons can get you fired and a new PM in with the quickness.

After this random Azure cert they made me start studying for out of no where Splunk and CISSP is it for me.

Just started a new job with a different company. only a 10k raise but it’s more responsibility than I had before. I’m trying to get out of help desk all together though.

you will get there, but its soul draining while there lol. Try and learn from the System Admins or Cyber guys if they are willing to show you things.

in this area a PMP is 160k with all the contracts in the area but it aint an easy job. Morons can get you fired and a new PM in with the quickness.

After this random Azure cert they made me start studying for out of no where Splunk and CISSP is it for me.

I’m going for the Azure certification soon. Good chance I get a IT position with that certification at the job I’m currently at but it’s help desk. It’s something lol

I’m going for the Azure certification soon. Good chance I get a IT position with that certification at the job I’m currently at but it’s help desk. It’s something lol

when you get it I would eventually try and leverage towards a Admin position since its an Advanced Cert. Dont waste time in Help Desk it's easy to get comfortable and stuck there.

when you get it I would eventually try and leverage towards a Admin position since its an Advanced Cert. Dont waste time in Help Desk it's easy to get comfortable and stuck there.

I have no interest in staying in help desk lol. Not at all. The guy I’m shadowing and my lifelong friend who’s trying to get me a IT position have been doing help desk and training new IT guys for a total of like 30 years. I plan on getting a few more certifications as I’m hopefully doing help desk and then bouncing from that job for more money and a much better job

@Old Man Cain what are your thoughts on PMP vs Agile methodology and being a Scrum Master(CSM)
My homie has all 3. He's pushing me to get all three as well. I work with Agile and Salesforce everyday so I'm pretty cool with it. I heard SCRUM is hard but it highly recommend to have. In the IT world PMP and Agile is used alot and always a plus.

I'm going for PMP and will pad my resume with my Agile knowledge

This here is some real shit. The PM role is cool and all but some random jackass can get you fired because of bullshit. Everything falls on the PM if dates are missed, budget has ran over equipment is not on site. That's your L

Im studying for my PMP right now.
For me specifically getting my PMP will put me over 200k for my next role.
Im 35 now

my goal is to have a 250k+ salary by 40 and also to start my own IT contracting firm.

Ultimately I want to be retired by 50 or at least working only because I WANT to.

Im 35 now

my goal is to have a 250k+ salary by 40 and also to start my own IT contracting firm.

Ultimately I want to be retired by 50 or at least working only because I WANT to.

This is impressive as hell. Like seriously. I don’t think I’d get the PMP certification but I wanna get the azure, security+ and CCNA. Would that be enough for a decent 6 figure salary if I get enough experience?

This is impressive as hell. Like seriously. I don’t think I’d get the PMP certification but I wanna get the azure, security+ and CCNA. Would that be enough for a decent 6 figure salary if I get enough experience?
Yep.
Another thing that will put you on the fast track to 6 figures is a TS/SCI security clearance and CI poly.

How most people finesse it is getting a lil bs security position for one of the three letter agencies. Preferably CIA or one of the orgs in the DoD.

Work it for about 3 months then apply for another position.

best part about it is since you are ususally the first person folks see you will strike up convos…let em know you interested in IT…

once you ready to go with quals…let em know you looking and you most likely will go from security to network engineer making a great salary

Its a couple brothers in my office that did that…

Im 35 now

My homie basically retired at 46. He was in ATL and packed up everything and moved to Columbia (the country) and takes contract jobs when he feels like it. He's a PMO (Product Manager) for Google they're paying that 285k. He may work 4hrs a day rest of the day he's buying hookers and getting high in Columbia. He has his Agile, SCRUM Master and PMP

I would be just like him if I didn't have a son but when my son goes off to college nigga I'm out. Contract engineering and IT PM is all I'm e doing while my running my consultant business.

Back