Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is Wyclef To Blame For Canibus' Debut?

To compare Canibus to Black Thought disrespectful as shit. Dude I love to hear freestyles but there is not a huge market for a whole freestyle album that would've went gold. His best thing to have done is get beats by Premier/Pete Rock or Madlib or whatever. And maybe have 2 or 3 freestyles with like DJ Clue or Flex peppered throughout the album as skits.

Nah Canibus and Black Thought rap alike. The only difference is that Black Thought has The Roots band and Canibus had some corny Wycef beats with corny hooks.

Canibus was good at spitting 40 bar verses. I can post some more Youtube freestyles or you can find them yourself.

I personally would have loved to hear Canibus freestyle over Boom Bap beats for an entire album. Anybody that's ever heard the Canibus/Nore/DMX freestyle wonders what that would have sounded like.

All he needed was 2 or 3 actual songs with choruses, then freestyle for the rest of the album.

Nah Canibus and Black Thought rap alike. The only difference is that Black Thought has The Roots band and Canibus had some corny Wycef beats with corny hooks.

Canibus was good at spitting 40 bar verses. I can post some more Youtube freestyles or you can find them yourself.

I personally would have loved to hear Canibus freestyle over Boom Bap beats for an entire album. Anybody that's ever heard the Canibus/Nore/DMX freestyle wonders what that would have sounded like.

All he needed was 2 or 3 actual songs with choruses, then freestyle for the rest of the album.
giphy (4).gif

No I think Canibus ultimately was to blame.

Canibus got all of his hype from dj clue mixtape verses and guest appearances. These would be verses where canibus just jumps on a track and basically does a freestyle. Shows off his skill. All his clue appearances were just freestyles over a beat with battle rhymes and showing off multisyllabic flows. Canibus is a great TECHNICAL rapper.

I think the issue is canibus never focused much on songwriting. He can rap his ass off, but he can't structure a song for shit. Then on the few times he attempts it, canibus is such a weirdo nerd he does the most outlandish topics for songs such as making a song where he is Stan responding to eminem or he's detailing his conception in the womb.

Wyclef could see potential in canibus ability, but when it came to the studio, he probably didn't have a whole lot to work with. Canibus could have had rhymes for days but in the end he's not really saying much. Just those lyrical miracle type raps. There just had to of been major creative differences as well.

If you listen to canibus music after Wyclef that canibus did on his own, its mostly just bars with no real structure. The songs don't mean anything, it's just canibus rapping.

Imo, Canibus was never gonna be a huge mainstream rapper.

That said, he also shouldnt have gone out like he did.

I def blame Wycleff. Its not only that the beats did not match Canibus, but them beats was butt.

'You mad at the last album I apologise for it, yo I cant call it, muthafckn Wycleff spoiled it' lol

Yeah I thought the album was pretty dope... Bis was actually spitting gems and not just rapidy rapping like some battle rappers when they try make songs...

I also liked 2000 B.C too...

Kanye Shrug GIF - Kanye Shrug Idk - Discover & Share GIFs

I think there is revisionist history with Bis too, because so many clowned him after LL and Em went in on him but if you actually check his first two albums they are dope, or not straight wack...

First album should've been structured like 2000 b.c. I like em both 🤷🏿‍♂

Back