Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is Wyclef To Blame For Canibus' Debut?

Goldie

Kobe With The Pivot
Site Owner
Canibus was spitting the same shit he spit on features and mixtapes. Outside of 2nd Rd Knockout and maybe "How We Roll" all the beats were Ny Quill infused trash and the hooks were worse.

Wyclef and Te Bass (Fugees producer, who produced most of "The Score" with Wyclef) produced every song on the album except 1.

Who do you blame more, Canibus or Wyclef?

Wyclef.

That album was trash.

However, I copped this White label Promo that came out around the same time as his first album

R-1546666-1391891382-4038.jpg

There's freestyles on both sides of the 12". He's basically rapping over other people's beats with no choruses. If he did that for the whole album Can-I-Bus would have been a 5 mic classic.

Common sense tells you that if you have an ill freestyle MC, you let him freestyle, you don't tell him to write songs with choruses.

It's Wyclef's fault. That album should have been all freestyles with zero choruses.

I fucked with how come *shrugs*

Only Canibbus album I really fucked with like that was that joint he did with dude from Jedi Mind Tricks - Rip The Jacker

It was a combination of both Bis and Clef that ruined that first album. I liked songs on the 2nd album more than Can-I-Bus. And no @5 Grand if Canibus he released a whole album full of freestyles it would not have been a 5 mic classic. There needs to be a balance.

It was a combination of both Bis and Clef that ruined that first album. I liked songs on the 2nd album more than Can-I-Bus. And no @5 Grand if Canibus he released a whole album full of freestyles it would not have been a 5 mic classic. There needs to be a balance.

That's the problem, people have been conditioned to think "there needs to be a balance". There doesn't need to be a balance. If you are a good freestyle rapper, then freestyle for the whole album.

He had songs with concepts and singing in the hooks, but he wasn't good at doing that. That's why he should have stuck to bragging and freestyling. That was what he was good at doing.

That's the problem, people have been conditioned to think "there needs to be a balance". There doesn't need to be a balance. If you are a good freestyle rapper, then freestyle for the whole album.

He had songs with concepts and singing in the hooks, but he wasn't good at doing that. That's why he should have stuck to bragging and freestyling. That was what he was good at doing.
No.

What Wyclef was trying to do just didn’t work for Canibus. He needed Premo/Pete Rock type beats sprinkled in with a few guest features here and there. No attempt at a mainstream sounding single, let him be him.

What Wyclef was trying to do just didn’t work for Canibus. He needed Premo/Pete Rock type beats sprinkled in with a few guest features here and there. No attempt at a mainstream sounding single, let him be him.

Yeah, Can-I-Bus came out a year after Life After Death. Life After Death was well rounded with R&B songs with singing, club songs and raw Hip Hop songs like 10 Crack Commandments.

I think Wyclef tried to do what Puff Daddy was doing, but Canibus wasn't Biggie. Canibus didn't have that charm to make a R&B song for the ladies.

He should have just kicked freestyle rhymes over Boom Bap beats with no choruses. He wouldn't have gone multi-plat like Wyclef was trying to do, but he could have gone gold with the backpacker audience and got a 5 mic classic.

Yeah, Can-I-Bus came out a year after Life After Death. Life After Death was well rounded with R&B songs with singing, club songs and raw Hip Hop songs like 10 Crack Commandments.

I think Wyclef tried to do what Puff Daddy was doing, but Canibus wasn't Biggie. Canibus didn't have that charm to make a R&B song for the ladies.

He should have just kicked freestyle rhymes over Boom Bap beats with no choruses. He wouldn't have gone multi-plat like Wyclef was trying to do, but he could have gone gold with the backpacker audience and got a 5 mic classic.
There has to be some level of structure and song making. Everything can’t be long verses over different beats. But I get what you’re saying.

Or he was just never gonna be that guy.

He was that guy, he just didn't understand his own identity.

He was a freestyle MC that sounded good when he dropped 40 bar verses. That's what he was good at doing.

There's a lane for that type of MC but Wyclef didn't understand that.

I would buy a CD of a guy spitting 40 bar verses over Boom Bap beats with no chorus.

In fact, that's how Canibus became known in the first place, he used to spit freestyles on DJ Clue mixtapes.

Listen to this DJ Clue freestyle over other people's beats. If he had done this, he wouldn't have gone multiplat like Biggie or Pac, but backpackers would have loved it.

He was that guy, he just didn't understand his own identity.

He was a freestyle MC that sounded good when he dropped 40 bar verses. That's what he was good at doing.

There's a lane for that type of MC but Wyclef didn't understand that.

I would buy a CD of a guy spitting 40 bar verses over Boom Bap beats with no chorus.

In fact, that's how Canibus became known in the first place, he used to spit freestyles on DJ Clue mixtapes.

Listen to this DJ Clue freestyle over other people's beats. If he had done this, he wouldn't have gone multiplat like Biggie or Pac, but backpackers would have loved it.

Well if he didn't understand his identity than he never was gonna be that guy like I said

And you keep bringing up his freestyles. Name one artist who was mainstream, that stuck to that lane, without being a complete artist.

Well if he didn't understand his identity than he never was gonna be that guy like I said

And you keep bringing up his freestyles. Name one artist who was mainstream, that stuck to that lane, without being a complete artist.
Black Thought.

He doesn't have too many radio records but he made a career spitting long conscious battle raps.

Canibus could have excelled in that lane.

I'm in the minority

but I actually like the album

prolly 2 or 3 songs I didn't like

Na, I'm with you. I liked it too. But I understand why Canibus ain't happy with it.

And I understand why he feels like Wyclef is to blame. But at the end of the day, YOU gotta be responsible for your own album. If your executive producer or whoever is trying to give you some sauce that you feel ain't really you, on some 'This is more commercial and will get you radio play' type shit, it's on YOU to veto that shit and live and die with your own thoughts on how you think the album should sound.

I’ve never once understood why he or anyone thought Wyclef was the fit for him. He clearly needed a Premo or Large Professor, maybe even Q-Tip to navigate that first album.

Black Thought.

He doesn't have too many radio records but he made a career spitting long conscious battle raps.

Canibus could have excelled in that lane.
To compare Canibus to Black Thought disrespectful as shit. Dude I love to hear freestyles but there is not a huge market for a whole freestyle album that would've went gold. His best thing to have done is get beats by Premier/Pete Rock or Madlib or whatever. And maybe have 2 or 3 freestyles with like DJ Clue or Flex peppered throughout the album as skits.

Back