Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Is WuTang Clan as a group, overrated?

Is WuTang Clan "GROUP" discography top five?

• Total voters
I wouldn’t say they’re overrated at all. The whole body of work clearly is legendary. Even with the dud group albums they had they are still top 5 among groups.

Personal Wu classics to me:
Enter the Wu Tang
Wu Tang Forever
The W
Iron Flag

And The W can still get a full play through from me to this day

Why count duos as groups though?

Mobb deep, outkast, ugk are all duos.

Only group with a better discography than Wu is Tribe. Not sure what number they are but they easily have a top 5 discography for a group.

Why count duos as groups though?

Mobb deep, outkast, ugk are all duos.

Only group with a better discography than Wu is Tribe. Not sure what number they are but they easily have a top 5 discography for a group.

Cuz when top/best groups are ever brought up do you really separate the 2?

Cuz if you go down that route, why Tribe? Only 2 of em rap.

Why The Roots? They just a rapper w/ his own personal band.

How is the Clan overrated when they not only changed the game but set the trend that other groups and duos still follow?

Changed it how? And what trend? Group members doing solo albums?

As part of Wu-Tang's initial contract with Loud Records in the early '90s, each member was free to pursue separate deals for their individual solo careers. Their successful divide-and-conquer strategy opened the door for large crews such as The Diplomats, Odd Future and Beast Coast to follow.

Let's not forget the slang (CREAM, Shark N*ggas, biscuits, Tical) and the fact that Enter the Wu-Tang was one of the albums that brought the east coast back to prominence.

In speaking of the album, RZA used dusty soul and "blaxploitation" movie soundtracks as his source material, along with poorly dubbed dialogue and sound effects from kung-fu flicks, he transcended simply making beats, arguably becoming hip-hop's first great composer. Mixing these elements, he forged atmospheric, bizarre and hypnotic sounds that continued to influence countless producers in subsequent years, including the likes of Kanye West and The Alchemist.

They were pioneers in creating their own fashion line, Wu Wear, which was been sold in major department stores as well as their own official outlets, and they even released a limited-edition shoe through Nike. In 1999, they took on the video-game industry with Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style for Sony's Playstation.

And let's not forget the AKA (or numerous of aliases) trend that everyone followed in the 90s.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...p-hop-a-better-tomorrow-raekwon-rza/19625287/

Last edited:
I just went through all of the Wu-Tang solo albums and listed all of the posse jams. They have 19 duets/posse jams from Tical to Ironman, which are the solo albums that the T/S said we shouldn't count because they "are solo projects".

1. Meth vs Chef - Method Man feat Raekwon (Tical)

2. Rawhide - ODB feat Method Man and Raekwon (Return of the 36 Chambers)

3. Snakes - ODB feat Buddah Monk, Killer Priest, Master Killer and The RZA (Return of the 36 Chambers)

4. Knuckleheadz - Raekwon feat Ghostface Killer and U-God (Only Built For Cuban Linx)

5. Guillotine (Swordz) - Raekwon feat Ghostface, Inspectah Deck and GZA (Only Built For Cuban Linx)

6. Glaciers of Ice - Raekwon feat Ghostface and Masta Killa (Only Built For Cuban Linx)

7. Ice Cream - Raekwon feat Cappadonna, Method Man and Ghostface Killah (Only Built For Cuban Linx)

8. Wu Gambinos - Raekwon feat RZA, Ghostface, Method Man and Masta Killah (Only Built For Cuban Linx)

9. Duel Of The Iron Mic - GZA feat Old Dirty Bastard, Dreddy Kruger, Inspectah Deck, Master Killah (Liquid Swords)

10. Cold World - GZA feat Inspectah Deck (Liquid Swords)

11. 4th Chamber - GZA feat Ghostface Killah, Killah Priest and RZA (Liquid Swords)

12. Shadowboxin - GZA feat Method Man (Liquid Swords)

13. Hell’s Wind Staff - GZA feat Dreddy Kruger, Killah Priest and Master Killah (Liquid Swords

14. Investigative Reports - GZA feat Ghsotface Killah, Raekwon, and U-God (Liquid Swords)

15. Assasination Day - Ghostface feat Inspectah Deck and RZA (Ironman)

16. Winter Warz - Ghostface feat Raekwon, Cappadonna, Masta Killah, U-God (Ironman)

17. Box In Hand - Ghostface feat Method Man (Ironman)

18. Black Jesus - Ghostface feat U-God (Ironman)

19. After The Smoke Is Clear - Ghostface feat RZA (Ironman)

You could burn these songs onto a CD-R and call it a Wu Tang album.

tenor.gif

Read the rules. Group albums only. Ghost and Rae can't keep carrying these niggas.

I had to steal your gif. I know I'm gonna need it in the near future.

Back