Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Is There a Difference Between Rapper, Lyricist and MC?

Is There a Difference?

• Total voters
To be real it depends on tha convo and who’s havin’ it...sometimes tha words are interchangeable but when asked specifically about differences tha argument can be made they are different...even tho a lot of people lump MC and lyricist together...I’ve made this comment before but I know I’m in tha minority of thinking this way but I think we really got it a little mixed up...goin’ off Grand’s definitions which mad people subscribe to it would make “mumble rappers” and “club rappers” tha “MC’s” because it’s not as much about what they’re sayin’ but more about “Moving tha Crowd”...bein’ a “Master of their Ceremony”...that’s not to say artist like Jay, Common, KRS aren’t MC’s as well or have MC tendencies when they’re doin’ their live shows/concerts but tha original MCs bigged up tha DJ and really didn’t say much but about how everybody should be partyin’...

Now a lyricist is just that...they tend to focus more on what’s bein’ said over how tha song sounds...it’s all about tha words and how to be clever wit’ them...a lot of times they don’t even be on beat and sometimes sound like theyd rather be doin’ it a cappella...but they have a way wit words and they can also be MCs and do great shows and even do dope songs..again these asr usually tha “legends” that get named who pull this off

Now rappers...to me rappers are tha ones who can (w)rap words, concepts, flows, tones, stories etc around beats and make dope rap songs...what most people call “real hip hop artists” or real “MCs” or whatever...that’s how I sometimes think about it

but tbh I’m just high and playin’ devils advocate lol

Back