Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Is There a Difference Between Rapper, Lyricist and MC?

Is There a Difference?

• Total voters
absolutely.

IMO, a rapper is a cat that can recite rhymes. He/she can usually write simple to halfway decent rhymes or might have to rely on writers for their songs. They can be good at performing said rhymes. Oddly, rappers that write tend to make catchier songs that have a broader appeal than those by lyricists.

A lyricist is a rapper that writes his/her rhymes with a level of intricacy far above that of a rapper, and never needs to use a writer to accomplish this task. They can either be extremely good at performing (KRS-ONE) or extremely bad at it (Casual), there's rarely ever a middle ground. Lyricists also can't always make good songs. While the songs can get lyrically complex and full of rewind-worthy moments, they may not always be that interesting unless all you're looking for are those lyrical-miracle type joints.

An MC is a lyricist with a consistently good stage presence and the ability to write more compelling songs. Jay Z, Biggie, Rakim, Ghostface Killa, Raekwon, KRS-ONE, Big Daddy Kane, Phonte, Redman, etc would be examples of what I would call MC's.

Last edited:
Rapper and MC is the same thing. Not every rapper is a lyricist. Soulja Boy and Black Thought are both rappers/MC’s but only Black Thought is a lyricist.

The Rapper = niggas that can make good songs, can create a dope vibe but ain't really saying shit of substance or moves the needle in the art of actual rapping, skillwise. Repetitive but enjoyable content. Sometimes production dependent. Rick Ross, Game, Freddie Gibbs, Spiita, etc.

The Lyricist = skilled niggas that's rapping for sport. Rhyming to out rhyme the last rhyme. Rappity rap. Complex rap schemes and punchlines but similar to the Rapper, ain't really saying shit neither. But unlike the Rapper, can't create musical content or make good songs consistently. Repetitive, headphone music. Crooked I, Eminem, Benny The Butcher, etc.

The MC = The perfect balance of the Rapper and the Lyricist. Can create a radio record, a street record, a deep introspective record, etc. Can perform complex rhymes and flows with meaningful content without sounding boring or repetitive. Displays creativity in storytelling and song creation. The pros of the Rapper and the Lyricist but none of the cons. Nas, Jay, Big, Scarface, DMX, Pac, Kendrick, Drake, KRIT, etc.

Last edited:
KRS is dope.
Ice T is wildly inconsistent. He has some joints, but a lot of his shit is plain wack.
I heard the krs is dope millions of times. I've listened to criminal minded, krs one and return of the boom bap.

I've really tried but I can't get into it. He's not wack but he's not imo on the level of his peers like rakim, bdk, kool g, ll and cube. Even Ren.

Could you post a song to change my mind. I'm really trying to see if I missed out on some shit. Not trolling lol

I heard the krs is dope millions of times. I've listened to criminal minded, krs one and return of the boom bap.

I've really tried but I can't get into it. He's not wack but he's not imo on the level of his peers like rakim, bdk, kool g, ll and cube. Even Ren.

Could you post a song to change my mind. I'm really trying to see if I missed out on some shit. Not trolling lol

:nigga2:

WoW This Board Never ceases to Amaze.....

I was In 4th Grade a Nigga Freestyled this shit Acapella In front of the whole Music Class Hip Hop Memory

Classic Story

Just Went the Fuck off Is All

Everybody voted that there's a difference, so when you're having top 5 discussions are you normally talking about your top 5 rapper/mc list or your top 5 lyricist list?

If you have 2 different lists drop em here.

A rapper is a person that raps. He/She goes into the recording studio and makes a rap song.

An MC is a master of ceremonies. This means the person can command the stage and make the crowd go into a frenzy. But the most important thing that makes an MC an MC is the ability to freestyle, or to make a mistake, go off beat and come back on beat. In other words, if the MC is on stage and the DJ's record skips, the MC can adjust his rhyme and come back without missing a beat. When the rapper is on stage and the DJ's record skips he/she doesn't know what to do or how to adjust.

In other words, a rapper can remember 5 songs, go on stage and perform those 5 songs, but if there's technical difficulties he can't freestyle.

A lyricist writes his/her own rhymes. Their songs might use a lot of literary techniques such as metaphors, similes, alliteration, double entendre, hyperbole, etc. but at the end of the day, their stage show is similar to that of a rapper. They can perform their songs, but they can't freestyle if there's any technical difficulties.

Back