Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is J Cole responsible...

Word....Life

Haa..I threw that shit before I walked in tha ROOM
I made a thread a few weeks ago asking who’s roster was better...TDE or Dreamville?? For tha most part TDE won because people simply weren’t familiar with Dreamville’s roster. With Cole dropping KOD to rave reviews and record setting streams and spins, all with NO features...my question is simple..

Is it J Cole’s responsibility to be pushing his artists more?? Should he feel compelled to put some of his artists on his albums that he knows is gonna garner a shit load of attention?? Or is just signing new artists and giving them a spot to grow enough for an artist and record label “figure head”??

Thoughts...

Cole gives his artists what many rappers wish they had.

An official cosign from a multiplat mainstream artist.

He gives them freedom & creative control over their projects. Hes not tryn push their sound one way or another like Jay Z was doing w/ him

Ive listened to all the Dreamville projects. None were anything special to me.

Good songs here and there. Cozz dropped one of my favorite tracks of this year.

But i like that Cole is letting them be their own artists and not tryn force them to pop by forcing them on his albums.

That could just lead to them being punchlines and sidekicks.

But i like that Cole is letting them be their own artists and not tryn force them to pop by forcing them on his albums.

EarthGang has put out some special eps lately bruh...

Cozz, J.I.D. and Lute have all put out really good work lately too..

Sometimes I feel like a co-sign isn’t enough tho in this era we’re in now...while I do agree with letting tha artist grow and not trying to force any certain direction on an artist Jay co-signed Cole AND had Cole ft on an album as well as did tracks with him and we can agree J Cole turned out alright...

I think there can be happier median than either over saturation of a star of his labels roster’s projects and no shine at all...

I don't really count EARTHGANG but they have released some good Ep's since linking up with Cole. They were on the grind and releasing heat before signing to Dreamville tho...

He should probably give some of his artists a feature or 2, wouldn't hurt...

I made a thread a few weeks ago asking who’s roster was better...TDE or Dreamville?? For tha most part TDE won because people simply weren’t familiar with Dreamville’s roster. With Cole dropping KOD to rave reviews and record setting streams and spins, all with NO features...my question is simple..

Is it J Cole’s responsibility to be pushing his artists more?? Should he feel compelled to put some of his artists on his albums that he knows is gonna garner a shit load of attention?? Or is just signing new artists and giving them a spot to grow enough for an artist and record label “figure head”??

Thoughts...

I think he does need to feature them more. Because inonly know 2 of them.

I don't really count EARTHGANG but they have released some good Ep's since linking up with Cole. They were on the grind and releasing heat before signing to Dreamville tho...

He should probably give some of his artists a feature or 2, wouldn't hurt...

That’s my point tho...Cole basically signed them because of their grind/movement but then don’t add to that movement after they’ve put out a really dope mixtape series on tha label...

Top Dawg Runs TDE, Kendrick is his artist.

Cole runs Dreamville, Cole is Hov's artist.

Cole is ahead of kendrick as far as creating his own label.

A fair comparison would be TDE vs Roc Nation

i dunno it seems this mumble rappers make a lane without a cosign, but more exposure wouldn't hurt

That’s why I didn’t do a comparison thread my nigga lol...I just used my past thread as a comparison

But as a comparison Cole does far less features with his artists than any other artist/label head I can think of I.e Ross worked wit Stalley a few times and they were on 2 totally different paths...T.I. put out trash ass compilations with and or for his artists as well as himself...I could go of for a min about that

I think it’s odd for a label head...especially one who is also an artist himself...to do such little to no push...niggaz can’t even get a hook on KOD?? Lol

Cole was tryn start his own label back when all he had was The Warm Up.

He said Kendrick was gonna be his 1st artist but Top Dawg signed him before his paperwork was right

Cole saying he wanted to sign Kendrick could just be him speaking on how much he believed in him and his talent. I know I've heard artists before and been like "damn, if I had a label..."

I can't see him ever making a classic album i think he can make a solid album but not a classic

I think he will deffo go down as a top 10 most boring rapper ever too

Nas
Canibus
Jay-Z
Royce
J-Cole
Talib Kweli
Common
Inspectah Deck
KRS-One
Lord Jamar

Top 10 most boring ever

Only on the internet do I hear that TDE has a great roster

I wanna see how a group album that isn’t KDot heavy does.

Last edited:

Bruh Bas- Too High to Riot was fucking amazing. The production alone was special imo

Back