Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is black billionaire Robert Smith still a role model to black kids?

DMorgan

You niggas is EXCOMMUNICADO!!!
A dodgy deal helped make him a billionaire. It worked, until now.
Billionaire Robert F. Smith says “I should never have put myself in this situation.”
Over the past five years, Robert F. Smith became one of the nation’s most prominent billionaire philanthropists.
During that time, he put up $20 million for Smithsonian’s National Museum of African-American History and Culture. He donated tens of millions more to national parks, breast cancer research, Carnegie Hall and paying the student debts of a Morehouse College graduating class. This spring, he pushed Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Ivanka Trump to have $10 billion in government coronavirus relief set aside for lenders in low-income neighborhoods.

Throughout this munificence, though, Smith had a secret: He’d played a role in what federal prosecutors allege was the biggest tax evasion scheme in U.S. history, an effort by his longtime associate, Texas billionaire Robert Brockman, to hide $2 billion from tax authorities in an offshore scheme featuring a computer program called Evidence Eliminator and code names such as “Redfish” and “Snapper.”

Smith, whose code name was “Steelhead,” according to prosecutors, has admitted to hiding profits in offshore accounts and filing false tax returns for ten years. He is cooperating with investigators and faces no charges. But his complicity in the alleged tax crimes has stunned the many who had seen a role model in the charismatic 57-year-old entrepreneur, often ranked as the wealthiest Black person in the United States. These two sides of Smith — the impressive generosity on one and the admitted tax evasion on the other — may be hard to reconcile. But they are inextricable, according to documents reviewed by The Washington Post, including charity filings with tax authorities and Department of Justice court filings.
Both aspects stem from a deal Smith and Brockman made 20 years ago, one that joined the unlikely pair in a venture with vast ambitions. Smith, the determined son of Denver schoolteachers, was then an aspiring financier; Brockman was older and far wealthier, a man who had already made a fortune with a company that sold software for the automotive industry.

Brockman’s offer set Smith up with his own private equity firm, Vista Equity Partners, and more than $1 billion in capital to invest, according to Smith’s statement to prosecutors. That arrangement eventually allowed Smith to become a billionaire himself. But the partnership also entailed an offshore trust to “willfully conceal” $200 million of Smith’s earnings from tax authorities, according to Smith’s agreement with prosecutors. While that account in recent years has become the source of much of his charity, it also ran afoul of rules requiring the disclosure of offshore accounts for tax purposes, according to the court documents. It was a Faustian bargain, in other words, but at the time Smith saw mainly its benefits. It would be more than a decade before its downside would be revealed.

The statement that Smith and his attorneys signed put it this way: Brockman “presented this unconventional business proposal as a ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ offer, dictating the unique terms and unorthodox structure to the arrangement. Despite any misgivings, Smith accepted [Brockman’s] offer, viewing it as a unique business opportunity he eagerly wanted to pursue.” Attorneys for Brockman, who pleaded not guilty, did not respond to a request for comment for this story. Smith’s statement does not explicitly name Brockman, but uses the term “Individual A” and incorporates enough work history and biographical detail to identify that person as Brockman. Brockman, who has been released, is scheduled for a bail hearing this week. Attorneys for Smith declined to comment as well, but in a recent letter to investors, Smith wrote that the “decision made twenty years ago has regrettably led to this turmoil ... I should never have put myself in this situation.” “You can only judge people on how you know them,” said Clive Gillinson, executive and artistic director of Carnegie Hall in New York City, to which Smith has contributed more than $30 million. “I trust his integrity.”

Long article the rest is at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/11/09/smith-brockman-tax-evasion/

I would've said yes he is cause I don't really give a fuck about folks and tax evasion, hiding money in offshore accounts, etc. The only reason I'm saying no longer a role model is because he snitching.

@DOS_patos I know you and many others here excuse snitching but I still want to see what you think about your homie committing crimes.

Hell no. I mean I don’t fault nobody for getting over and getting on. But I view it as greedy when you already have 100s of millions and now he snitching too. if we can excuse 69 can’t excuse this

The nigga wasn't considered a role model just because he was a billionaire.

Folks looked at him as a role mode when paid off 34 million dollars of students and their parents school loans for the whole graduating class at Morehouse a year or so ago. Among a lot of other charitable things he has done over the years.

The nigga wasn't considered a role model just because he was a billionaire.

Folks looked at him as a role mode when paid off 34 million dollars of students and their parents school loans for the whole graduating class at Morehouse a year or so ago. Among a lot of other charitable things he has done over the years.
I mean if the fact that he just has money isnt what made him a role model. And you are saying it's what he did with the money that did. Then why does it matter how he got his money, if it was in the spirit of his actions that made him admirable.

I mean if the fact that he just has money isnt what made him a role model. And you are saying it's what he did with the money that did. Then why does it matter how he got his money, if it was in the spirit of his actions that made him admirable.

I asked a yes or no question. Why are you asking me anything about anything? Especially since I said how I felt about it in clear detail.

Move along

He s a clown for stealing one of my homies work..... but there’s nothing wrong w cheating on taxes

the snitching thing depends on the situation....i wouldnt do it but dont put me in a place that i need to make that decision either. but thats another topic.

ok....lets see

so homie cheated on taxes ....

and with all that extra money he had...he:

donates $10mil to help black female seniors in need by able to pursue engineering and masters degrees at Cornell.

gave $34 mil to morehouse to pay of the tuition debt of 400 black men, gave half a mil to create outdoor study space and created a $1mil scholars program. all for morehouse.

Does a ton of shit for STEM, and InternX

oh oh ...wait....them 400 black men........Mr. Smith also paid off their parents debt.

thats just to name a few.

fuck what ya heard.

if Alpo is celebrated with Frank lucas......he telling on da wights

this man is a modern day robinhood. he took and gave to his people and wont sit in jail for wights who mad they didnt tell on him first.

Robert Smith 2024

I salute his actions

also ....its never snitching when the wights are involved.

they will tell on you in no time.

this is a slight get back for many things they throw black people under the bus for to lessen their own time.

Keep singing bruh

I agree with this. Telling on white folks or telling on the cops don’t seem as bad as telling on your homie

the snitching thing depends on the situation....i wouldnt do it but dont put me in a place that i need to make that decision either. but thats another topic.

this man is a modern day robinhood. he took and gave to his people and wont sit in jail for wights who mad they didnt tell on him first.

Robert Smith 2024

I salute his actions

also ....its never snitching when the wights are involved.

they will tell on you in no time.

this is a slight get back for many things they throw black people under the bus for to lessen their own time.

Keep singing bruh

This the most non sensical bullshit ass 2 wrongs make a right ass shit I've seen in a long ass time
tenor.gif

'Robert Smith' was never a role model to black kids. Black kids have no idea who 'Robert Smith' is. Kids know 'That one nigga who paid off everybody's loans at Morehouse'.

And that didn't make him a role model. It made him a rich nigga who did some ill shit.

ok....lets see

so homie cheated on taxes ....

and with all that extra money he had...he:

donates $10mil to help black female seniors in need by able to pursue engineering and masters degrees at Cornell.

gave $34 mil to morehouse to pay of the tuition debt of 400 black men, gave half a mil to create outdoor study space and created a $1mil scholars program. all for morehouse.

Does a ton of shit for STEM, and InternX

oh oh ...wait....them 400 black men........Mr. Smith also paid off their parents debt.

thats just to name a few.

fuck what ya heard.

Robert Smith 2024

I salute his actions

I hate this nigga.

This the most non sensical bullshit ass 2 wrongs make a right ass shit I've seen in a long ass time
tenor.gif
cmon man.....

you cant see the block the same as corporate when it comes to white people and snitching.

i will not go out my way to put a black man in jail to save my own ass if we in it together......but if you tried to kill me?

you honor it was him.

:hedidit: cuz im not about the come back clapping life. my old ass will pass out running back to the car.

but as far as corporate and telling....i wont put myself in anything shady with wights. i just cant. they cant be trusted with illegal shit and a black man involved. cops wont hear shit you gotta say and put shit on you you wasnt even around for.....you killed Lincoln, jfk and failed storming cuba. GUILTY!!!!

'Robert Smith' was never a role model to black kids. Black kids have no idea who 'Robert Smith' is. Kids know 'That one nigga who paid off everybody's loans at Morehouse'.

And that didn't make him a role model. It made him a rich nigga who did some ill shit.
i rather him vs some local dumb ass.

Back