Welcome To aBlackWeb

Hurricane Milton Heading Towards Florida; The 4th Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded

whyyyyy? I hope ya loved ones makes it through safely through this nonsense bruh.

One thing I cant understand in Florida or other places prone to hurricanes.. why would they keep making the houses out of the same materials? Like why wouldnt they build tougher more resilient houses if you know every year theres a possibility a strong ass hurricane gonna come past ya city and potentially fuck ya shit up
Capitalism.

Capitalism.
I get it..kinda weird tho.. you look at the islands and places that get frequently hit by hurricanes.. they build the homes specifically to try to withstand those types of conditions.. Doesnt seem that way in Florida. I could be mistaken though

I get it..kinda weird tho.. you look at the islands and places that get frequently hit by hurricanes.. they build the homes specifically to try to withstand those types of conditions.. Doesnt seem that way in Florida. I could be mistaken though
Capitalism and eventually parts of that state gonna be underwater anyway. Might as well run it up.

Last edited:
After Andrew hit in the early 90s and destroyed a bunch of South FL & killed a bunch of people, they started doing that. We have stricter building codes down there. All new buildings have to be lab-tested, wind and impact resistant designs. But the rest of the state didnt really follow and I hear the requirements vary from region to region.

Something interestng i found at the end of this article

Building codes under siege?

For most of the last few years, Florida’s building code has used standards from the International Code Council as its foundation for reviews and updates every three years. In a nutshell, state planners took the latest ICC standards and used those as a starting point, deleting irrelevant parts (such as snow-related standards) and enhancing the code with Florida-specific measures as needed.

This changed in 2017, when the Florida legislature voted to step away from basing its code on ICC releases. Instead, the state is now free to pick and choose whatever code revisions it likes, whenever it likes, without changes being triggered by ICC code changes.

Florida’s 2017 process revisions were advocated by the Florida Home Builders Association but were criticized by many members of the emergency management community, including former FEMA head Craig Fugate.

As reported by Fred Grimm (Sun-Sentinel):

Fugate warned the 2017 National Hurricane Conference in April that the Florida legislature was hell bent on abandoning mandatory code upgrades. State builders, he said, were complaining that updating the codes every three years was inconvenient. “Who’s it inconvenient to?” Fugate asked, rhetorically. “The homeowner who’s going to be paying for a home for next 30 years, that will probably go through one, if not more, tropical systems? Or to the builder or developer who’d like to build faster and cheaper?”

In its article on a 2018 report from the Insurance Institute for Building & Home Safety on the status of codes in 18 Gulf and Atlantic states, Insurance Journal noted that “despite the increasing severity of natural disasters, [many states] have relaxed their approach to codes — or have yet to impose any whatsoever.” For example, Louisiana—hard hit by massive flooding in the “no-name” storm of 2016, that year’s most expensive U.S. disaster—declined to adopt the one-foot-above-base-flood elevation standard mandated by ICC. Insurance Journal added: “The shift toward less rigorous codes is driven by several factors, experts say: Rising anti-regulatory sentiment among state officials, and the desire to avoid anything that might hurt home sales and the tax revenue that goes with them. And fierce lobbying from home builders.”

Seems like builders successfully lobbied to get the state to lower the standards for building homes in 2017. So they've happily building cheaper less safe homes down here for a few years now. That means if we get a direct hit, a bunch of homes are fucked.

Officials are sayin to write ur name on ur body so they can identify you.

Good luck to you. If ya dont make it, we will make create a thred in ur honor.

Salute

I think Orlando is alright though.

Back