Welcome To aBlackWeb

How Much Credit Do Latinos Deserve In The Creation Of Hip Hop?

I remember him in the past talking about his pops was dark-skinned.

And I remember a few years back, he said latinos are black.

This dude mighta been living a lie for the past 30+ years and had everybody fooled.

Hardly any. They get credit for being involved in certain aspects but none for the creation of the music or culture.

Reactions: GNS
I never understood the hate for Fat Joe. Some black people like to whine about Latinos being anti-black. As far as I've seen, Joe has always been cool with African Americans, always promoted the fact that a lot of Puerto Ricans have African ancestry, and always admitted that Rican culture is heavily African influenced. Of all the Latino celebrities to try an paint as an enemy of blacks, I don't see he'd be a primary one people would go after. Yeah, he's light. So what? That doesn't mean he doesn't have African ancestry. Rashida Jones is half black and she looks like a straight up white girl.

As far as his comments go, those were discussed by a variety of pioneers on YouTube, and they all agree he's wrong. Not so much in the fact that he's saying Ricans had a part in the creation of Hip Hop, but moreso with the significance he gives their part. Basically, most Ricans at the time Hip Hop was bubbling didn't even fuck with black people, and the ones that did take part in the creation of Hip Hop tended to be isolated from other Ricans because they dealt with blacks.

I don't Joe is malicious. He's just been in the game a long time, and he wants to credit the people like him that inspired him, but he's going overboard.

I never understood the hate for Fat Joe. Some black people like to whine about Latinos being anti-black. As far as I've seen, Joe has always been cool with African Americans, always promoted the fact that a lot of Puerto Ricans have African ancestry, and always admitted that Rican culture is heavily African influenced. Of all the Latino celebrities to try an paint as an enemy of blacks, I don't see he'd be a primary one people would go after. Yeah, he's light. So what? That doesn't mean he doesn't have African ancestry. Rashida Jones is half black and she looks like a straight up white girl.

As far as his comments go, those were discussed by a variety of pioneers on YouTube, and they all agree he's wrong. Not so much in the fact that he's saying Ricans had a part in the creation of Hip Hop, but moreso with the significance he gives their part. Basically, most Ricans at the time Hip Hop was bubbling didn't even fuck with black people, and the ones that did take part in the creation of Hip Hop tended to be isolated from other Ricans because they dealt with blacks.

I don't Joe is malicious. He's just been in the game a long time, and he wants to credit the people like him that inspired him, but he's going overboard.

My $0.02

I always liked Fat Joe as a person. I like watching his interviews, but I never really dug his music

He has. Few songs I like (Twinz, Lean Back) but I never would have thought he'd stay relevant for as long as he has. He must have social skills because he's going on 30 years and he's still relevant.

Meh, at it's inception it was largely Black dudes, but there were 'Ricans and whites there as well, male and female. Can't really ignore that much as far as the 4 pillars of hip hop are concerned.

Back