Welcome To aBlackWeb

How much blame does the coach really deserve?

AP2.5

I was really really tryna keep it PG
Site Administrator
I keep seeing a lot of comments that analyze the coaches when they lose or when things are going bad.

I don't think anyone who signs up for the job is above scrutiny but I do think SOME analysis is lazy and short sighted and the coach gets the heavy load of the blame when it's not warranted.

It also doesn't help with the First Takes of the world and anyone with an internet connection can just get online and spew ignorant shit and it gets spread.

So I guess the first question is what exactly do you think the responsibility of the coach is in a respective sport?

Clock management
Offensive/defensive adjustments
Rotation/lineup adjustments
Gameplanning
Situational awareness

I think I feel confident about this list
Ok

So if he does all these things well on paper and in most practical applications, why is he the blame when the players don't execute the plan

Because the thought process of they would do better under different leadership

How do you think some teams are good and others are bad? Pats still won 7 games with a lack of talent. The Bears coach would not have eon that many games with that team. Coaches are suppose to motivate players to play their best.

Another night of terrible rotations and matchups.
Hear me out just for a sec

When does the thought that maybe, just maybe no matter what you do, who you put in just isn't enough to beat the other team?

Depends on the level we're talking about IMO.

If pro then I would say if the coach doesn't have talent on his team it's the GM's fault. If the GM has brought in talented players but they aren't performing that is a coaching issue.

College and below it's on the coach cause they basically bringing in all the players they want.

Depends on the level we're talking about IMO.

If pro then I would say if the coach doesn't have talent on his team it's the GM's fault. If the GM has brought in talented players but they aren't performing that is a coaching issue.

College and below it's on the coach cause they basically bringing in all the players they want.
Give me an example of bad coaching eh it comes to say rotations in late game situations

Give me an example of bad coaching eh it comes to say rotations in late game situations

I personally think its bad coaching if you up 3 at the end of the game and don't foul to put the other team on the line. Fuck it even if they make both free throws you're still up 1.

I personally think its bad coaching if you up 3 at the end of the game and don't foul to put the other team on the line. Fuck it even if they make both free throws you're still up 1.
Wouldn't the counter to this be that you find want the time to stop so that they start playing the foul game with you as well?

Wouldn't the counter to this be that you find want the time to stop so that they start playing the foul game with you as well?

If you make free throws you're always up. I'm talking about if just a matter of seconds left not even if its a minute left on the clock. If I foul you with 5 seconds left you hit 2 free throws I'm still up 1. You foul me at least a 1 to 1.5 has came off the clock. I go down and make 1 free throw we up 2. They basically have to make a full court shot to win. I like my chances in that situation. Instead of possibly letting them get a good look and tying up the game and now we're in OT.

If you make free throws you're always up. I'm talking about if just a matter of seconds left not even if its a minute left on the clock. If I foul you with 5 seconds left you hit 2 free throws I'm still up 1. You foul me at least a 1 to 1.5 has came off the clock. I go down and make 1 free throw we up 2. They basically have to make a full court shot to win. I like my chances in that situation. Instead of possibly letting them get a good look and tying up the game and now we're in OT.
I could see this as a strategy at certain times

If your team turns the ball over now you’re getting blamed

I would say a coach makes up 40% of his teams success on the pro level.

Having good players aren't enough.

You have to have a feel for what those players are good at and not so much ( Ben Simmons and Doc rivers for example)

Some coaches utilize players better than others.

But if you dont have the players then. you can only do so much. I.e. Cleveland after LeBron left

Back