Welcome To aBlackWeb

History Thread

man the fact they used to shoot eyes out

That's mind boggling. Our understanding of archery is flawed. We're used to seeing people at the Olympics shooting at targets. Those people were targeting eyes in charging armies. That's ridiculous. If it was them bragging about doing it, you might easily dismiss it as exaggeration, but the people who claimed they did that were third parties who had no stake in the battles. Even if it was exaggeration, the point is that the Nubians were such good archers, that people who witnessed them were in awe.

Reading this article and its talking about Mansa Musa's pilgrimage to Mecca and how this was a sign to the world of the wealth he was in control of. The way it details how the gold was worn kinda reminds me of modern day black folks. The stereotype of a black person involves gold and flashy jewelry. But this is coming from the white folks and often the true meaning is lost. But Mansa was like the Migos back in that time...just flossing and putting his drip on display.

Reading this article and its talking about Mansa Musa's pilgrimage to Mecca and how this was a sign to the world of the wealth he was in control of. The way it details how the gold was worn kinda reminds me of modern day black folks. The stereotype of a black person involves gold and flashy jewelry. But this is coming from the white folks and often the true meaning is lost. But Mansa was like the Migos back in that time...just flossing and putting his drip on display.

Yeah, but the flossing culture can be negative now just like it might have been negative back then. People always bring up the pilgrimage, but never actually consider what effect it had on the Songhai Empire itself. A lot of the people in his Empire felt like he wasted money that could have been used to strengthen the Empire. They may not be incorrect, as the Empire crumbled shortly after he died. By most accounts, he was a great king, but almost all his actions revolved around displaying the empire's greatness. He didn't put nearly as much care into ensuring its survival for the long term.

Yeah, but the flossing culture can be negative now just like it might have been negative back then. People always bring up the pilgrimage, but never actually consider what effect it had on the Songhai Empire itself. A lot of the people in his Empire felt like he wasted money that could have been used to strengthen the Empire. They may not be incorrect, as the Empire crumbled shortly after he died. By most accounts, he was a great king, but almost all his actions revolved around displaying the empire's greatness. He didn't put nearly as much care into ensuring its survival for the long term.

Yes your right, I was reading about how he gave out so much gold he devalued it.

Currently reading the memoir of the guy who trapped the wolves that were released for the reintroduction into Yellowstone NP. After that will go back to finishing a book about Crazy Horse.

My favorite subject in school. Do we have any history buffs in here? Any favorite eras to study or topics? Or any topics you want to learn more about?

I grew up learning the basic American history. But wasnt able to learn about us as a people until community college. I still like reading about the Medieval era of Europe and of West Africa and etc

The differences in 20th century generations fascinated me the most

Renaissance era…

American revolution

History was also one of my fave subjects

I love history. It was my best class in high school and college. I go back and forth between recent and past history. I’m reading no is No Cause for Indictment. It’s about the Newark riots in 1967.

81F45DEE-3B13-4563-873A-7D4F1073B9E9.jpeg

Back