Welcome To aBlackWeb

History Thread

Thats wassup. I got an idea of the one i need to get. Beyond Timbuktu. An intellectual history of Muslim West Africa.

Yall know about Timbuktu i assume. I was reading about how they have all these manuscripts that had to be moved due to rebel factions or something. But its a great honor for those families to keep those msnuscripts. I think they ranged from 15th century to early 20th or whenever the French took over.

Ill give y'all a Lil bit of history of the ethnic group I derive from.

My bloodline is primarily of central African origin, in Cameroon. They're known as the bamoun. They're primarily a Islamic and animist in the religious sense, with a deep veneration and ritual worship of ancestors.

They descended from the grasslands of northwestern Cameroon, from a people known as the tikar. One of the defining characteristics that now differentiates the bamoun from the tikar is their kingdom, which lasted through out the middle ages up till the French colonization.

They're also well known for their written language, which thrived up until the French AND english took the colony Germany had previously set up in Cameroon and split it as spoils for winning WW1.

They had large libraries detailing their history, arcana etc.. Till the French came and destroy the vast majority of them smmfh.

There is currently a movement to normalize the writing once again.

Now to the present day, they are now separated culturally in a sense from the tikar since they are francophones and the highlands the tikar live in are in the English speaking provinces primarily.

There is currently a secessionist movement in anglophone nw/sw Cameroon that is picking up steam. They would like to become their own English speaking nation by the name of Ambazonia.

The gov responded by first doing a violent takedown of their protests which only served to strengthen the movement, and Now they are in the midst of an internet shutdown smmfh. Its been about 2 months and now entrepreneurial Cameroonians and those with educational opportunities from those provinces are being forced to move to the east.

Its all apart of a larger pattern of bias against English speakers in Cameroon smmfh

No im not saying the history is wack im just against white peoole tearing up our history. And the civil war in your country

Still new. Would a no sign have been more appropriate?
Both those negative reactions tend to be associated with you disagreeing with or taking offence to the post.

You're still free to click whatever u want, just letting you know what it means cause I know you're new.

Jack Johnson was too real. I personally dont know why white people thought we couldnt fight. Or maybe they thought we were not smart enough to master the sweet science.

Jack is one of the GOATS, it wasnt that white people thought that black people couldnt fight, it was they were scared that black fighters were TOO good... I think most people agree that it was that white people really didnt want a black fighter to be 'Heavyweight Champion of THE world', back then you were basically king of the world if you held that prestigious title...

It wasnt just Jack Johnson, look up Sam Langford, arguably the best fighter you may of never heard of.... He done everything but be allowed to fight for a title from the lower weights including all the way up to the heavyweight division, even Jack wouldnt fight him whilst he was champion...

Also look up Charles Burley and 'Black Murderers Row', a bunch of fighters that were ALL probably better than any of the white champions, but the powers that be would not let them fight for the titles...

Last edited:
Bump for history

History was the only class i attended. I took Anthropology and that was pretty fun, I really liked US history and ancient civilizations like Egypt and Greece, Rome and so on. Mythology was dope as hell.

I posted this in the book section, but these two books really blew my mind...

578478.jpg

51huZPgP6VL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Facts. Like we learned about the same shit over and over but with more details

For sure... Im in the UK, but one side on my fam is Irish and I feel a strong connection with Ireland... We never learned in school that the British (who were a protestant country) straight inflicted genocide on the Irish (catholic) people with 'the potato famine', which is a massive part of historical value...

I think 25% of Ireland's population disappeared, something like 1.5million people died and millions fled the country (could you imagine if 25% of america or england were wiped out???)... Irish people were dying of starvation, literally dropping down dead in the street whilst 'walking'... Hence why so many Irish ended up in American or England... It was basically ethnic cleansing imo with the protestant (british) wanting to wipe out the catholics (irish)... The sanctions that England put on the Catholics (irish people) were crazy and this was in Ireland, their (catholics) own country!!! see below, the second paragraph is explains some sanctions:

SOURCE:
http://www.irishhistorylinks.net/History_Links/IrishFamineGenocide.html

'A famine did not truly exist. There was no food shortage in Ireland evidenced by the fact that the British landowners continued to have a varied diet and food stuffs were exported. This was not the first failure of the potato crop in the history of Ireland. The starvation (and genocide) occurred as the British carried on their historical exploitation of the Irish people, failed to take appropriate action in the face of the failure of the potato crop, and maintained their racist attitude toward the Irish.

The Penal Laws, first passed in 1695. were strictly enforced. These laws made it illegal for Catholics (Irish) to own land, and required the transfer of property from Catholics to Protestants; to have access to an education, and eliminated Gaelic as a language while preventing the development of an educated class; to enter professions, forcing the Irish to remain as sharecropping farmers; or to practice their religion. In addition, Catholics (Irish) could not vote, hold an office, purchase land, join the army, or engage in commerce. Simply put, the British turned the Irish into nothing better than slaves, subsisting on their small rented farms.'

Last edited:
I only focus on Black History.

Got a few books on it. Currently re-reading The Black Count since I never finished it. It's the story of Alexander Dumas. The author of Count Of Monte Cristo and Three Muskteers, both books heavily influenced from his own personal life. He was also highly revered as the greatest military soldier in all of France in his time.

My only gripe is that the author of this book tends go at length about other shit around Dumas. It's a blessing and a curse. I'd prefer to only learn of the subject at hand, but he also shows how deep the racism in France was. Along with revealing other black military figures such as St. George and The Black Legion.

There's another book I'm struggling with called When We Ruled. Deep dive into the kingdoms of Africa, but damn that shit could stop a bullet. I tackle that here and there, couple times a month maybe.

Last edited:
Ill give y'all a Lil bit of history of the ethnic group I derive from.

My bloodline is primarily of central African origin, in Cameroon. They're known as the bamoun. They're primarily a Islamic and animist in the religious sense, with a deep veneration and ritual worship of ancestors.

They descended from the grasslands of northwestern Cameroon, from a people known as the tikar. One of the defining characteristics that now differentiates the bamoun from the tikar is their kingdom, which lasted through out the middle ages up till the French colonization.

They're also well known for their written language, which thrived up until the French AND english took the colony Germany had previously set up in Cameroon and split it as spoils for winning WW1.

They had large libraries detailing their history, arcana etc.. Till the French came and destroy the vast majority of them smmfh.

There is currently a movement to normalize the writing once again.

Now to the present day, they are now separated culturally in a sense from the tikar since they are francophones and the highlands the tikar live in are in the English speaking provinces primarily.

There is currently a secessionist movement in anglophone nw/sw Cameroon that is picking up steam. They would like to become their own English speaking nation by the name of Ambazonia.

The gov responded by first doing a violent takedown of their protests which only served to strengthen the movement, and Now they are in the midst of an internet shutdown smmfh. Its been about 2 months and now entrepreneurial Cameroonians and those with educational opportunities from those provinces are being forced to move to the east.

Its all apart of a larger pattern of bias against English speakers in Cameroon smmfh

How come y'all just don't stick to your original tongue?

Back