Welcome To aBlackWeb

HIPGNOSIS BUYS MUSIC CATALOG FROM PRODUCER DION ‘NO I.D’ WILSON

That was the best song on an awful album.

White ownership of black ingenuity has always been disastrous for our people. No amount of millions is enough for ownership.

I agree but it's easy for us to say. NO ID already made millions off of those songs, and from the CD days too. Maybe he looked at how much streamin' revenue he rceives and preferred a lump sum.

I agree but it's easy for us to say. NO ID already made millions off of those songs, and from the CD days too. Maybe he looked at how much streamin' revenue he rceives and preferred a lump sum.
There is rarely an occasion that you are offered more than what your product or service is actually worth.

There's just something eerily disgusting about some guy with access to a billion dollars buying up other people's original content. If it's worth something to him, it should be worth even more to you.

Hopefully NO ID doesn't wake up one day regretting his decision. But I'm not optimistic about it. We've seen this story play out far too often in human history.

I'm wondering why this company is buying up all these song copyrights though. it's a little scary to think what they might end up doing after 10-20 years when they own the rights to a lot of big catalogs. Especially for creatives, they gonna start suing anyone and everyone that has a song that sounds familiar to the stuff they own?

No ID probably don’t see the wealth he can probably make. PROBABLY MAKE.

But he see what he CAN MAKE.

He can own it for the rest of his life and not come close to the offer he got from them.

They probably got connections where they can make more than what they bought it for.

No ID don’t.

Sometimes it’s just that simple

There's a huge difference between being rich and being wealthy. Those songs could have generated wealth for his grandchildrens grandchildrens. He went from creating wealth to being given riches. Smmfgdh

There was a reason that Paul McCartney was so got damn mad when Michael Jackson bought his catalog.

There's a huge difference between being rich and being wealthy. Those songs could have generated wealth for his grandchildrens grandchildrens. He went from creating wealth to being given riches. Smmfgdh

There was a reason that Paul McCartney was so got damn mad when Michael Jackson bought his catalog.

No ID ain’t the Beatles

could have generated wealth. That’s a maybe. Slim maybe. He could have made the same amount they offered him in the next 50 years.

But they know how to make more with it.

Does he even have kids?

And sometimes the conditions on things like this is they own it for the next 20 years then defaults back to him.

He put a price on his music and good with the decision.

And no. He would never get wealthy from just that music.

He could flip that money into a bigger investment and get wealthy. But just the music? Naw.

that white man sees the wealth generating potential in that music. that cac wouldn't have given up the riches if he didnt see the potential for those songs to generate much more wealth. chess>>>checkers

Duh bruh. They have connections to make it more. With anything you get you, you see the money that COULD be made that the original person didn’t. If No ID did he wouldn’t sell it.

My brother in law bought two houses from this white man for a damn steal.

white dude didn’t see the potential or trends for those locations.

he flipped one and came out on top with big chunk and still holding on to another.

We don't know what the price was, but it's safe to assume he was probably in some kind of financial difficulty if he had to resort to selling his catalog.

That's a lifelong income stream.

Never a good idea to give up something like that unless it's absolutely necessary.

that white man sees the wealth generating potential in that music. that cac wouldn't have given up the riches if there was no chance to generate wealth. chess>>>checkers

Salt for gold is a good trade if you have nuff gold and no salt.

NO ID has made far more from his music than this cac company will.

How ever many millions he got would be more than enough to buy investments that he can hand down to his children.

Again, I agree artists should try to keep their masters but it's no so easy as you guys are makin' out.

The copyright lasts No I.D.'s life + 75 years

He's 49, the copyright will last until he dies + 70 years.

I guess his grandkids could have seen that money, but not his grandkids grandkids.

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 10.22.04 AM.png

Yea, I dont know about selling it all maybe half. Owning the rights to his music or a percentage would create generational wealth. Dont know what he was paid but that's the last payment he'll receive from that music. Them royalty checks come for a long while....30% is the most that I'd do if in that situation

Yea, I dont know about selling it all maybe half. Owning the rights to his music or a percentage would create generational wealth. Dont know what he was paid but that's the last payment he'll receive from that music. Them royalty checks come for a long while....30% is the most that I'd do if in that situation

Good point. He didn't have to sell the whole thing.

If you have a business acumen for promoting, advertising, marketing and merchandising music then the catalog is worth one amount. You can get the song played on the radio, on video games, movies, TV commercials, TV shows, in arenas and/or stadiums during sporting events.

But if you just have a layman's knowledge of marketing music maybe it's best to sell it for an amount that you think is fair.

It's the age old question. Do you keep ownership of the business/music/etc to pass down to your kids or do you sell it at it's highest price when you get the opportunity?
It's me fuck that only my bloodline could get that no money is worth something you can say you created. At least don't give them EVERYTHING :niggaa:

I'm quite sure he thought very carefully about this before taking the plunge..maybe hes done with music as a whole and wanna invest in other ventures?

I wish him the best

Normally I would say Nah son,but bruh it's like the end of the world and most hip hop ppl don't have an exit plan and I'm guessing they gave him at least 20 million if they already spent 700 mill on 42 catalogs which averages 16 mill actually it averages 16666666..............

16 mill ain't enough but maybe he needs upfront money bad and the world is shaky

Normally I would say Nah son,but bruh it's like the end of the world and most hip hop ppl don't have an exit plan and I'm guessing they gave him at least 20 million if they already spent 700 mill on 42 catalogs which averages 16 mill actually it averages 16666666..............

16 mill ain't enough but maybe he needs upfront money bad and the world is shaky

I think his catalog is worth more than $16mil. I was thinking $100mil

But the question is, how much has he made over the past 5 consecutive years (2016-2020) from mechanical royalties and publishing?

That gives you a good idea of how much it's worth right now (2020).

Back