HBCUs Have Been Underfunded By Billions

IUTpt2

Mar 22, 2023
Dang! I know what it is.

Them HBCU's could really used that money. I doubt if they get it back.

650b8e2722000035000c6f87.jpeg

These HBCUs Have Been Massively Underfunded For 30 Years

Updated Sep 27, 2023

At this stage in our reckoning with America’s ongoing history of systemic racism, it comes as no shock that historically Black colleges and universities have been underfunded across the board. But recent letters sent by the Biden administration to governors across the South and Midwest detail this lack of support — and the data is cringe as hell.

According to the letters from Education Secretary Miguel Cardona and Agriculture Secretary Thomas Vilsack, land-grant HBCUs in 16 states were shortchanged more than $13 billion over the last 30-plus years. These HBCUs include Alabama A&M University, North Carolina A&T State University, Virginia State University and Tennessee State University, among others.

The letters address how much funding land-grant HBCUs in each of the states would have received in the last three decades if states’ funding per student matched the mandate of the Morrill Acts, a pair of late-1800s laws that established land-grant universities. Tennessee and North Carolina topped the list, with the gap in funding swelling to over $2 billion apiece.

HBCUs have been underfunded by $12 billion, federal officials reveal

October 19, 2023
By Alexis Marshall

Federal officials told 16 states that they’ve been underfunding their Historically Black Colleges and Universities by some $12 billion. Tennessee State University had the biggest loss.

Sixteen states have been underfunding their historically Black land grant colleges for decades. The shortfall is more than $12 billion, according to a recent analysis from the U.S. Department of Education. Tennessee underfunded its land grant HBCU more than any other state in the report. Now students there are amplifying their call for the state to pay that money back. From member station WPLN in Nashville, Alexis Marshall reports.

We’re inside the gymnasium at Tennessee State University. The school’s Grammy award-winning Aristocrat of Bands is playing. Students hand out free T-shirts and signs that say, we’ve been cheated. There’s a DJ and some fiery speeches coming from the stage.

Say, we got the power. Do you believe we got the power? We going to get it back what’s rightfully ours. Amen. All right.

• Ether
Reactions: bootcheese3000
Mane, I feel this one.

That $$ could go to all kinds of programs for your courses, cleaning services, band, sports, dormitories, etc... So my mind and heart goes out to them. I remember my HBCU days and I hope there's a solution for this asap.

Reactions: RodyRod and deadeye
Y’all surprised?

Fucking endowments at HBCUs are like less than eight figures, while some PWIs have literally BILLION $ endowment.

We gotta stop this dependency on the government. I’m just sad that there are hundreds of thousands of Alumni for these schools, and only 10-15% of them give back to the schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUTpt2
Y’all surprised?

Fucking endowments at HBCUs are like less than eight figures, while some PWIs have literally BILLION $ endowment.

We gotta stop this dependency on the government. I’m just sad that there are hundreds of thousands of Alumni for these schools, and loel only 10-15% of them give back to the schools.

Yeah, I feel some kind of way.

I made my mind up, when I come back to the States, that's one of the first things I wanna do. Give back financially to my HBCU. Cause I know I enjoyed my experience.

Crump_Visit-1-1038x576-1.jpg

lol.

They done got Benny Crumbles on the case. And I hope they get every penny deserved and set a precedence. I won't be surprised if things don't go they way tho.

Saw this article when it first dropped and color me shocked

Nothing will come of this unfortunately

When I first heard about the TSU situation it was from Eddie George on Shannon Sharpe Podcast. Like the state wont give them the money they are suppose to get or allow them to build new building/facilities. They just take the money and use it for white projects.

• Ether
Reactions: IUTpt2