Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Has There Been Anything New Since Dec 31, 1989?

@konceptjones Good stuff.

Electronic music has certainly evolved but with the exception of the Drum and Bass stuff you posted, it's not that far removed from the 80s stuff I posted.

I'm going to do some digging and see if I can find anything close to Drum & Bass that came out in the 80s.

The closest you're going to find would be early Detroit Techno's roots in Kraftwerk, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Telex, etc.

or early Chicago House's Disco roots

But while there was influence from other genres, the music developed in such a way that they're really new and once each moved away from their earlier recordings that becomes very clear in both cases.

@Goldie Yes a new genre of music. Like how Bebop was a new genre, or Rock N Roll, or Reggae, or Hip Hop.

I'm not convinced that the new EDM is structurally different than the 80s Electro.

Rock N Roll spawned from Blues, Boogie, and Jazz (which is also where Bebop got it's sound)
Reggae evolved from Ska, which also gave birth to Jamaican Rocksteady

Point being is that you can trace each "new" genre to something else that's been around that it has it's technical roots in.

@Goldie Yes a new genre of music. Like how Bebop was a new genre, or Rock N Roll, or Reggae, or Hip Hop.

I'm not convinced that the new EDM is structurally different than the 80s Electro.

there is actually an Electro genre tho (with Detroit as it's epicenter same as Techno)

Ignore that bullshit that Will.I.Am put out that he called "Electro" or the shit that's currently masquerading as Electro but is really EDM. The shit I posted is the real deal. Artists from other states and countries that make Electro still make the real shit.

Here's what I believe to be the roots of Drum & Bass and/or Jungle

And here's a few more 80s Electro songs that could pass for new music

Back