Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Has There Been Anything New Since Dec 31, 1989?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
I was thinking about how recorded music started in Scott Joplin's era and how every couple of decades a new style of music comes out (i.e. Jazz, Rock N Roll, Reggae, Heavy Metal, Disco, Hip Hop, EDM.

There is a clear distinction between Billie Holiday & Ella Fitzgerald's era vs Aretha Franklin & Chaka Khan's era. Likewise there is a clear distinction between Marvin Gaye and James Brown vs Jay Z & Nas.

But since 1989, has anything new happened?

In the late 80s Hip Hop producers were sampling, using drum machines, live instruments and, of course 808 kick drum.

Wildstyle Soundtrack
Beat Street Soundtrack
Colors Soundtrack
Raising Hell - Run DMC
Bigger & Deffer - LL Cool J
It Takes A Nation of Millions - Public Enemy
Criminal Minded - Boogie Down Productions
In Full Gear - Stetsasonic
Paid In Full - Eric B & Rakim
Born To Mack - Too Short
No One Can Do It Better - D.O.C
Straight Outta Compton - NWA
A Nasty As They Wanna Be - 2 Live Crew
License To Ill - The Beastie Boys
Hot Cool & Vicious - Salt N Pepa
Three Feet High & Rising - De La Soul

As far as live instruments, the 70s era rappers (e.g. The Last Poets, Watts Prophets, and Nicki Giovanni) used live instruments for their background music.

Now you can say that you think new music is better. But as far as genre and composition, is there anything new?

Has there been a new genre of music since 1989?

Last edited:
new genre's as a whole or just confined to hip hop?

'cause I can think of more than a few.

Ghettotech
Jungle/Drum and Bass
Trance/Progressive
Dubstep
Big Beat
Glitch
Hardstep
Gabber
Microsound
Trap
Happy Hardcore
Downbeat/Downtempo/Trip Hop
Lo-Fi/Chillhop
Illbient

and I can keep going.

new genre's as a whole or just confined to hip hop?

'cause I can think of more than a few.

Ghettotech
Jungle/Drum and Bass
Trance/Progressive
Dubstep
Big Beat
Glitch
Hardstep
Gabber
Microsound
Trap
Happy Hardcore
Downbeat/Downtempo/Trip Hop
Lo-Fi/Chillhop
Illbient

and I can keep going.

Al that is EDM.

There were EDM songs in the mid to late 80s, House music in particular.

I'm not an expert in EDM, but if I did a search I bet there was a similar style in the 80s.

Al that is EDM.

There were EDM songs in the mid to late 80s, House music in particular.

I'm not an expert in EDM, but if I did a search I bet there was a similar style in the 80s.

No, there wasn't for any of these. Besides, none of these genres are EDM. EDM is it's own genre of music and not an umbrella term for all things made with a drum machine and synths. EDM is that sterile garbage that Calvin Harris, Deadmau5, Steve Aoki, and the like make. Calling everything "EDM" is what lazy people do because they can't be bothered to learn what a given genre of music they're listening to actually is.

In the 80's there was House, Techno, and to a lesser degree, Garage. There was nothing like any of these newer genres until they hit. Nothing before it sounds anything like Dubstep, Jungle/DnB , Big Beat, or any of that stuff. The closest you'll get to a cross-genre sound is the Ghetto House sub-genre's similarities to Ghettotech and, if I wanted to take that further, Bmore Club's similarities to both.

This is EDM:

These are not:

Gabber.

I did a rave once where one of the rooms had Gabber and Psytrance being played. There was nothing but glowstick lightshows and muhfuckas off their asses on E grinding the shit outta their teeth all moving in unison to this shit.

Never again...

Last edited:
Actually, I got two genres mixed up: Happy Hardcore and Psytrance. HHC is more closely related to Jungle/DnB.

I'll throw up some Psytrance in a bit.

@konceptjones Good stuff.

Electronic music has certainly evolved but with the exception of the Drum and Bass stuff you posted, it's not that far removed from the 80s stuff I posted.

I'm going to do some digging and see if I can find anything close to Drum & Bass that came out in the 80s.

Some niggaz been trying their hand at this new genre called Trash Rap...they’ve been pickin’ up steam tha past decade or so

Back