Welcome To aBlackWeb

Five years ago today, Kanye West dropped 'The Life of Pablo.' Optical disc

The last Kanye album I legit gave a fuck about. I liked Yikes and some of the beats on Ye, but the soul was understandably gone. TLOP was definitely some regs at absolute best. Cyhi, Malik Yusef, Lupe, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Big Sean, Kim Kardashian and whoever else helped him write that stupidity should be ashamed of themselves as creatives. However, this was some of his best sample work and use of other producers... including Yeezus where he turned a Hudson Mohawke beat into a classic with a simple Nina Simone sample chop. He did literally the same thing here on Famous, that Sister Nancy chop at the end was bananas. The Charlie Heat Facts remix grew on me, and if you're a mixer/engineer/producer you can take all the versions of Wolves and make Kanye's best song of the 2010s by far. Overall not the best album ever, but as someone that studied Kanye I'm glad to see that his mind was still working.

MBDTF (GOAT Album)
LR/Graduation *depending on the day*
CD/Ye *Depending on the day
TLOP
808&HB
YEEZUS

Them gospel bullshits

Fuck it, may as well drop my ranking... y'all niggas is crazy.

Graduation
LR/CD (can't rank one over the other because they both hold a personal significance in my life)
MBDTF
808s
Yeezus
TLOP
Ye

The Yandhi leaks would've been mid tier if he finished it without the white Jesus washing, and I didn't hear the other gospel joints but I'm sure they'd be dead last. Not his fault, I'm pretty sure that MAGA hat isn't easy to wear while making music.

Fuck it, may as well drop my ranking... y'all niggas is crazy.

Graduation
LR/CD (can't rank one over the other because they both hold a personal significance in my life)
MBDTF
808s
Yeezus
TLOP
Ye

The Yandhi leaks would've been mid tier if he finished it without the white Jesus washing, and I didn't hear the other gospel joints but I'm sure they'd be dead last. Not his fault, I'm pretty sure that MAGA hat isn't easy to wear while making music.
MBDTF is the single-handed greatest hip hop album of all time and you got it at #4

Im flabberghasted

MBDTF is the single-handed greatest hip hop album of all time and you got it at #4

Im flabberghasted

It was a good album, but I guess it's a generational thing. I bought the CD and listened to it enough that I can say it's not even in my top 20 albums.

I got a handful of 80s albums that I'd rank higher than MBDTF; Criminal Minded, It Takes A Nation of Millions, Run DMC, Wildstyle Soundtrack to name a few.

I liked Monster. That was one of my favorite posse jams in recent years, if you consider 2010 recent.

It was a good album, but I guess it's a generational thing. I bought the CD and listened to it enough that I can say it's not even in my top 20 albums.

I got a handful of 80s albums that I'd rank higher than MBDTF; Criminal Minded, It Takes A Nation of Millions, Run DMC, Wildstyle Soundtrack to name a few.

I liked Monster. That was one of my favorite posse jams in recent years, if you consider 2010 recent.
Name all the ones you want to and you'd be wrong

I hated it the first time I listened to it, eventually it grew to become one of my favorite albums (probably because of the multiple revisions it had). The entire album is just so enjoyable. No skips needed. It's the closest thing I think we'll ever get to a MBDTF 2.0. The gospel inspiration actually had a pretty big effect on me, despite being an agnostic theist. It had me looking at the bible with extreme FOMO. My favorite song changes depending on my mood. FML is probably my favorite most of the time because of how much it resonates with me. The entire stretch from I Love Kanye to Wolves felt like a cry for a help and precursor to the Kanye we all know today.

In terms of where I rank it, top 5. With the usual 4 ahead of it.

Yeah...Ye stopped getting a lot of spins from me after Graduation...I don’t think I’ve heard more than 2 songs off this album

Back