Welcome To aBlackWeb

FINALS: Goat Song of 99: Still D.R.E vs Nas Is Like

FINALS: Goat Song of 99: Still D.R.E vs Nas Is Like

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Exactly...Fresh Prince Summertime...

Oh shit who did that? I've read a story that Rakim worked on it but he denies

First of all, according Dj Jazzy Jeff himself Summertime wasn't Ghostwritten

There's been a longstanding rumor that Rakim wrote part or all of "Summertime" for Will. Is there any truth to that?

Not at all. He had absolutely nothing to do with it. When Will did "Summertime," I remember telling him, "Don't say your name." If Vanilla Ice would've made "Summertime" and didn't say his name, you could not dismiss that you like this song. I knew how much Will nailed it, but you had people that didn't necessarily look at me and Will as hip-hop because we had crossed over and sold so many records on the pop side. So for us to come back and do a record that started off very strong on black radio, we'd always get, "Oh shyt. That's Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince?" If he had said his name in the beginning, there'd be people who would've just turned it off or dismissed it. Will was always very hyper and I told him, "Bring it back. Vibe with it." And when he did that, everyone was like, "Wow. He sounds like Rakim." From the first day we played the record for people, they thought it was Rakim. When we first released it, everyone was like, "Did you hear that new song that

First of all, according Dj Jazzy Jeff himself Summertime wasn't Ghostwritten

There's been a longstanding rumor that Rakim wrote part or all of "Summertime" for Will. Is there any truth to that?

Not at all. He had absolutely nothing to do with it. When Will did "Summertime," I remember telling him, "Don't say your name." If Vanilla Ice would've made "Summertime" and didn't say his name, you could not dismiss that you like this song. I knew how much Will nailed it, but you had people that didn't necessarily look at me and Will as hip-hop because we had crossed over and sold so many records on the pop side. So for us to come back and do a record that started off very strong on black radio, we'd always get, "Oh shyt. That's Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince?" If he had said his name in the beginning, there'd be people who would've just turned it off or dismissed it. Will was always very hyper and I told him, "Bring it back. Vibe with it." And when he did that, everyone was like, "Wow. He sounds like Rakim." From the first day we played the record for people, they thought it was Rakim. When we first released it, everyone was like, "Did you hear that new song that
If Will wrote that then props to him. It was always assumed that Rakim wrote it.

Both great songs, Nas has got hits/dope songs from most years though and Dre hasnt... This Dre album pretty much defined an era/year an bought Dre back to a newer generation and reminded people that Dre is a FORCE... Going with Dre...

Both great songs, Nas has got hits/dope songs from most years though and Dre hasnt... This Dre album pretty much defined an era/year an bought Dre back to a newer generation and reminded people that Dre is a FORCE... Going with Dre...

I remember 2000 vividly. This album was on heavy rotation. Still Dre video got a lot of play.

Great album. Ackrite and Light Speed get played almost weekly.

I remember 2000 vividly. This album was on heavy rotation. Still Dre video got a lot of play.

Great album. Ackrite and Light Speed get played almost weekly.

Yeah this album pretty much the theme tune to my soon to be leaving school and alot of my college years haha

Last edited:
Back